Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

Again, I said reasonable fans.

And you would be in the minority with that sentiment

OK, let me put it this way. 

BB has coached 7 years without Tom Brady as his QB. He has two winning seasons in those 7.

Rex has coached four years with Mark Sanchez as his QB. He has only one losing season. 

QB has to be a factor here. 

(note to Scott Dierking (the poster, not the FB who was one of my favorite Jets when I was 12) Let me explain debate to you: You make a point and I respond using statistics and facts to back up my point, It's not I use statistics and facts to make a point and you respond with insults and ridiculous hypothetical questions. One might conclude that one who debates this way is the unreasonable person.)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose your "distinct gut feeling" counts for something............ despite having scored 0 against the Packers in our first meeting.

They were also supposed to get crushed in Pittsburgh the first time and didn't. They got blown out against NE before they won the playoff game. Do you REALLY think they would have scored no points again against GB?

Obviously it's just a feeling. But looking back, there's no reason to think the Jets couldn't have done better than they did.

You need to grow a pair.

<wahhhh-another insult>

Who is crying? I'm pointing out how lame your argument is by stressing the fact that you can't seem to back up your arguments with anything other than insults, stupid cliches or ridiculous hypothetical questions. 

Oh, I just out debated you yet again!

You want to keep going, Teddy? Because I can keep on busting you up all night.

OK, let me put it this way. 

BB has coached 7 years without Tom Brady as his QB. He has two winning seasons in those 7.

Rex has coached four years with Mark Sanchez as his QB. He has only one losing season. 

QB has to be a factor here. 

(note to Scott Dierking (the poster, not the FB who was one of my favorite Jets when I was 12) Let me explain debate to you: You make a point and I respond using statistics and facts to back up my point, It's not I use statistics and facts to make a point and you respond with insults and ridiculous hypothetical questions. One might conclude that one who debates this way is the unreasonable person.)

BTW- Bill Bellichick DRAFTED Tom Brady. Any other coach and GM could have done the same. He saw the talent, he nurtured it. 

Imagine if the '69 jets went to SB 3 and said "You know, it was a great ride in the AFL this year, the NFL is so much better and more established than us", let's not even try. Too much effort.

WTF? I get that you irrationally hate everything Rex does/touches but do you really think he wasn't trying? Do you really think any of them weren't trying?

They were also supposed to get crushed in Pittsburgh the first time and didn't. They got blown out against NE before they won the playoff game. Do you REALLY think they would have scored no points again against GB?

Obviously it's just a feeling. But looking back, there's no reason to think the Jets couldn't have done better than they did.

Yes there is. In week 9 of the 2010 season the Jets got shut out at home by the Packers 9-0.

The question was quite simple for a hypothetical-Given the ability to hire BB or RR for your franchise, which would you choose.

Forget that they are currently employed. It is not that abstract

After their first 5 seasons in the NFL?  I'd take Ryan.  You probably would too.  I mean a great coach would will his team to victory in the playoffs.  BB really did a great job against Pittsburgh in the 1994 Divisional.  Moral Victory!

Yes there is. In week 9 of the 2010 season the Jets got shut out at home by the Packers 9-0.

Try reading the whole post instead of bolding the parts at me like I'm not aware of what I said. A bunch of things happened that weren't supposed to. They were supposed to lose to Manning, to Brady, to everyone. They weren't supposed to win the first game in Pittsburgh. GB would have been the favorite, but the Jets were rarely, if ever, the favorite. And something happening once does not guarantee the same outcome a second time.

BTW- Bill Bellichick DRAFTED Tom Brady. Any other coach and GM could have done the same. He saw the talent, he nurtured it. 

Technically, Scott Pioli drafted Tom Brady and no amount of spin from Garb or anyone who works for ESPN  or the Pats can change the FACT that they nearly cut him his rookie year in camp. 

Brady becoming a superstar was not by design. It was dumb luck. 

Try reading the whole post instead of bolding the parts at me like I'm not aware of what I said. A bunch of things happened that weren't supposed to. They were supposed to lose to Manning, to Brady, to everyone. They weren't supposed to win the first game in Pittsburgh. GB would have been the favorite, but the Jets were rarely, if ever, the favorite. And something happening once does not guarantee the same outcome a second time.

But to assume they would have beaten the Packers had they gotten past the Steelers is a bit of a leap, no?

Yes the Jets were the only team to hold the Packers to no TDs that year but they barely moved the ball at all against the Packers D that day. I don't even remember them getting into FG range once. 

People who have to tell you they won a debate, usually didn't. Just sayin.

And, not sure what either of us really would have won here. These are ideas and opinions. There is no prize.

Try not to take yourself so seriously.

Says the guy who questioned my character and called me classless after I jokingly suggested he take his righteous indignation over Rex Ryan and shove it up his ass. 

Nice theory, but the GM does the drafting, not the COACH.  The Pats didn't fire Grier and give Belichick autonomy until AFTER the draft in 2000.

Let's hope it'll be Pioli calling the shots and not Belichick, whose drafting record in Cleveland from 1991-95 should create more trepidation than exhilaration among Patriots fans.

His first-round pick in 1992 was Tommy Vardell, taken ninth overall. In '94, Belichick selected now journeyman defensive back Antonio Langham with the Browns' first pick. Still enamored of Langham, Belichick last month brought him to New England as a free agent. At least, if he's making the same mistake, it won't be as costly to the Patriots as it was to the Browns. And, in 1995, Belichick traded down from the 23rd pick in the first round to No. 30. The 49ers, using Cleveland's choice, selected wide receiver J.J. Stokes. The Browns wound up with linebacker Craig Powell.

We also could point out such second-round picks of Belichick's as Ed King (1991) and Patrick Rowe ('92), but we don't want to be penalized for piling on.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000503/NEWS/305039956&cid=sitesearch

links?

http://nypost.com/2011/01/28/revis-says-jets-relaxed-in-loss-to-steelers/

According to Darrelle Revis, the Jets “just relaxed” at the start of last weekend’s AFC Championship against the Steelers.

Speaking yesterday in Hawaii, where he is preparing for Sunday’s Pro Bowl, the Jets’ star cornerback blamed the divisional playoff win at New England for his team’s listless first half in which the Jets trailed 24-3. They lost, 24-19.

Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown, Revis said, “I think . . . you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people’s body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn’t know what was at stake. That’s why we came out so flat and we didn’t finish strong.”

GIVE JETS YOUR GRADES

VOTE: JETS FREE AGENTS

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it. Revis also said he was prepared to sit out the season if he didn’t receive a new contract during training camp.

They could have.  But, the point is, it's not just them.  The AFC and NFC championships each typically consist of two good teams.  Both are capable of winning, and in this case, the one we didn't want to lose, did.  It's not a matter of the Jets winning, or the Jets messing up.  Pittsburgh played better, and won.

As an aside, Pitt sat players in that 1st game when they'd already clinched their position.  In the playoffs they did not.

They could have.  But, the point is, it's not just them.  The AFC and NFC championships each typically consist of two good teams.  Both are capable of winning, and in this case, the one we didn't want to lose, did.  It's not a matter of the Jets winning, or the Jets messing up.  Pittsburgh played better, and won.

As an aside, Pitt sat players in that 1st game when they'd already clinched their position.  In the playoffs they did not.

I am fine if my team loses in the Champ. game and they poured their hearts out with effort. In that first half, regardless whatever talent you want to talk about any positions, the Jets were not prepared. You could see that in the effort.

That is what is disconcerting.

I am fine if my team loses in the Champ. game and they poured their hearts out with effort. In that first half, regardless whatever talent you want to talk about any positions, the Jets were not prepared. You could see that in the effort.

I just don't see it that way.  And, if it is, blame Rex all you want, but you might as well blame every player to a man.  If you need a coach to get you amped up enough to make a tackle one game away from the Super Bowl, then honestly, you don't belong in the league.  I think the "effort" thing is just an excuse for the reality, which is just that they weren't as good.

http://nypost.com/2011/01/28/revis-says-jets-relaxed-in-loss-to-steelers/

According to Darrelle Revis, the Jets “just relaxed” at the start of last weekend’s AFC Championship against the Steelers.

Speaking yesterday in Hawaii, where he is preparing for Sunday’s Pro Bowl, the Jets’ star cornerback blamed the divisional playoff win at New England for his team’s listless first half in which the Jets trailed 24-3. They lost, 24-19.

Asked by the NFL Network if there was a letdown, Revis said, “I think . . . you could say that. Yeah, you could say that. On people’s body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn’t know what was at stake. That’s why we came out so flat and we didn’t finish strong.”

GIVE JETS YOUR GRADES

VOTE: JETS FREE AGENTS

Revis said several leaders spoke up in the locker room at halftime, including him, and the Jets made a game of it. Revis also said he was prepared to sit out the season if he didn’t receive a new contract during training camp.

Not for nothing, but if Revis was such a team leader, why didn't he speak up during the week? Why wait until the team is losing by three scores at halftime?

The Jets lose 24-19 and you are upset that they are not prepared.  Belichick's Browns go down 24-3 at the half and get 10 first downs all game = perfectly acceptable. Not disconcerting at all. Just agenda driven bullsh*t. 

I just don't see it that way.  And, if it is, blame Rex all you want, but you might as well blame every player to a man.  If you need a coach to get you amped up enough to make a tackle one game away from the Super Bowl, then honestly, you don't belong in the league.  I think the "effort" thing is just an excuse for the reality, which is just that they weren't as good.

Isn't the "amping up" by Rex Ryan what so many in this thread are claiming is his forte? Heck, I read here, players want to "run through walls" for him. We are lucky to have him because of this trait. 

Not so much in the Pittsburgh game.

You are right though, there is accountability with players too, but the coach sets the tone.

Archived