MMQB: It's Not Rex, It's the Personnell. Or, "You fans don't know sh-t"

Lizard King

The writer had a good point about today's team, but ****ed EVERYTHING UP (gave T0m and friends their hole) by including the 2009 and 2010 teams in there for some reason. Those teams were Super Bowl caliber except for one $50 million dollar top five pick bombing far more often than not. The personnel issues are recent (2011-present) and due heavily to the roster getting old while the QB actually got worse.

I think 2012 said everything it possibly could about the coaching. That offense had no right to 6 wins, not even close.

They've had seven top-100 draft picks over the last four years. Five of them were used on defensive players. The other two were Stephen Hill and Vlad Ducasse. The coach is a defensive coordinator who got what he wanted 5 out of 7 times.

I don't want to get into this article because I tend to agree with you about the writer's agenda, but I have a question about the above.  You are in the Rex is a dead man walking camp and seem to blame him for the weak drafts since Mangini left.  Why would Idzik pick two (count 'em two!) top 13 picks on the defensive side to placate the head coach he was stuck with and will fire at year's end? Doesn't seem to fit the agenda. 

I don't want to get into this article because I tend to agree with you about the writer's agenda, but I have a question about the above.  You are in the Rex is a dead man walking camp and seem to blame him for the weak drafts since Mangini left.  Why would Idzik pick two (count 'em two!) top 13 picks on the defensive side to placate the head coach he was stuck with and will fire at year's end? Doesn't seem to fit the agenda. 

Because Jets fans seem to have a need to have one, and only one, person to blame for everything.  It is apparently impossible for more than person to suck at their jobs at the same time, therefore whichever person a particular fan hates most must not only be responsible for their own failures, but also the failures of all those around him, including those failures which that same fan was previously blaming on an entirely different person who is no longer with the team.  We've seen it countless times before, so no reason to think it will change any time soon.

I don't want to get into this article because I tend to agree with you about the writer's agenda, but I have a question about the above. You are in the Rex is a dead man walking camp and seem to blame him for the weak drafts since Mangini left. Why would Idzik pick two (count 'em two!) top 13 picks on the defensive side to placate the head coach he was stuck with and will fire at year's end? Doesn't seem to fit the agenda.

As it relates to the article, Bedard blamed the prior regime for victimizing Rex all the way through. As such, I was responding to said article.

Because Jets fans seem to have a need to have one, and only one, person to blame for everything .

The article blames Tannenbaum and only Tannenbaum. I'm pointing out that it wasn't only Tannenbaum--that there was a plurality of people to blame, up to and including Rex. Clearly. Where did I express that only one person was at fault?

As it relates to the article, Bedard blamed the prior regime for victimizing Rex all the way through. As such, I was responding to said article.

I know and I don't care about the article.  My question was that you blame Rex for the drafts being all D, but Idzik went D again.  Could it be that these guys don't care so much about need at the draft?  

I know and I don't care about the article.  My question was that you blame Rex for the drafts being all D, but Idzik went D again.  Could it be that these guys don't care so much about need at the draft?  

Or, by coincidence, defensive players were the top choices on Idzik's board at the time.

Or, he envisions an offensive coach next year, and will pick players that fit his schemes at that time?

Can be any number of variables.

The article blames Tannenbaum and only Tannenbaum. I'm pointing out that it wasn't only Tannenbaum--that there was a plurality of people to blame, up to and including Rex. Clearly. Where did I express that only one person was at fault?

It wasn't really directed solely at you, but more at the general idea that Rex is now suddenly to blame for all of Tanny's failures, which is completely fabricated nonsense.  Rex has enough of his own complete failures that he doesn't need to be crucified for the same ones for which another person was just fired.  Not to mention, Dom's point was that it was a completely new GM who most recently went defense (twice) in the first round, which I imagine you're not arguing was Rex's doing.

Or, by coincidence, defensive players were the top choices on Idzik's board at the time.

Or, he envisions an offensive coach next year, and will pick players that fit his schemes at that time?

Can be any number of variables.

Certainly true.  It also may be that he plans to keep Rex and let him influence the draft again.  

I know and I don't care about the article. My question was that you blame Rex for the drafts being all D, but Idzik went D again. Could it be that these guys don't care so much about need at the draft?

Since Rex got here, the Jets have traded up for Kerley, Sanchez, Joe McKnight, Shonn Greene, Stephen Hill, John Conner and Josh Bush. They also traded draft picks for Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Lito Sheppard, Kevin O'Connell and Santonio Holmes. Is there such a thing as trading for the BAP?

It wasn't really directed solely at you, but more at the general idea that Rex is now suddenly to blame for all of Tanny's failures, which is completely fabricated nonsense. Rex has enough of his own complete failures that he doesn't need to be crucified for the same ones for which another person was just fired. Not to mention, Dom's point was that it was a completely new GM who most recently went defense (twice) in the first round, which I imagine you're not arguing was Rex's doing.

To your earlier point, if you believe that the state of the roster is the fault of Tannenbaum AND Rex, (as most sane people who pay attention do), then why isn't it acceptable to call Rex to task for the state of the roster?

Since Rex got here, the Jets have traded up for Kerley, Sanchez, Joe McKnight, Shonn Greene, Stephen Hill, John Conner and Josh Bush. They also traded draft picks for Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Lito Sheppard, Kevin O'Connell and Santonio Holmes. Is there such a thing as trading for the BAP?

Those drafts were under the context of a filling out a veteran roster with D'Brick, Mangold, Moore, Scott, Pace, Revis, Pouha, and so on at their peaks. It didn't work out. The GM who made those moves is gone.

Archived