Manuel a cool kid, but Ryan wrecks rookie QB's

Steveg

By Steve Serby

The spectre of Bill Belichick standing on the opposite sidelines in his NFL debut did nothing to rattle the Bills’ E.J. Manuel.

Manuel thus far has  showed why Doug Marrone drafted him over Geno Smith, as well as his quarterback at Syracuse, Ryan Nassib, so no one is expecting him to be afraid of Rex Ryan, the self-proclaimed Big Bad Wolf of defense.

But it might be a good idea for Manuel to sit down with Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine to try to get inside the mind of the lame-duck defensive genius waiting eagerly for his arrival.

Because there is this: Ryan is 6-1 against rookie quarterbacks.

Pettine coached shoulder to shoulder from 2009-12 with Ryan as his defensive coordinator, and would love nothing better than to humble Smith more than his mentor is able to humble Manuel.

Manuel (18-27, 150 yards, 2 TDs, O INTS) put a scare into Belichick and threw a last-second TD pass that beat the Panthers and reduced him to tears of joy, but you can bet that Ryan, whose faster defense has made a mockery of the notion that it might as well close up shop without Darrelle Revis,   is licking his chops.

Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman, who might have been the Jets quarterback if Mike Tannenbaum hadn’t been able to trade up for Mark Sanchez in 2009, became Ryan’s first rookie quarterback victim on Dec. 13, 2009 when he managed a 14-33, 93 yards, 3-INT, 3-sack day during a 26-3 defeat at Raymond James Stadium.

Cleveland’s Colt McCoy (18-31, 205 yards, 1 TD, O INT, 3 sacks) was a 26-20 loser Nov. 14, 2010 at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Kansas City’s Tyler Palko (16-32, 195 yards, 1 TD, I INT, 5 sacks) was a 37-10 loser Dec. 11, 2011 at MetLife Stadium.

Miami’s Ryan Tannehill (16-36, 196 yards, O TDs, 1 INT) was a 23-20 overtime loser Sept. 23, 2012  in Miami in the game Revis tore his ACL. The interception was a LaRon Landry Pick 6.

Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck (22-44, 280 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTS, 4 sacks) was a 35-9 loser Oct. 14, 2012 at MetLife Stadium.

Seattle’s Russell Wilson (12-19, 188 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 7-34 rushing was a 28-7 victor Nov. 11, 2012 at CenturyLink Field.

Arizona’s Ryan Lindley (10-31, 72 yards, 0 TD 1 INT) was a 7-6 loser Dec. 2, 2012 at MetLife Stadium.

Manuel vs Smith. Smith vs. Pettine. Ryan vs. Pettine. Manuel vs. Ryan. Games within the game.

All the serby bashing aside, Rex does confuse the hell out of rookie QBs and I will be shocked and extremely impressed if Manuel has any sort of decent day. The fact that he's extremely mobile and has practiced against pettine's defense does help, I still would be floored if he has any sort of mild success.  I do however expect spiller to break a couple big ones, just because he always seems to.

Archived