Running the ball

whodeawhodat

Depending on the QB, even short passes can be picked off by defensive linemen (and certainly the QB can fumble or get sacked. They're still pass attempts.

lets use geno for example.  statistically speaking, some of those passes are kinda like runs, no ?

don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I think geno can only learn by chuckin it, and the best down to call a pass for him is first down, but anayising the west coast offense strictly from a pass to run ratio it should be acknowledged that some passes are kinda runs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets use geno for example.  statistically speaking, some of those passes are kinda like runs, no ?

don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I think geno can only learn by chuckin it, and the best down to call a pass for him is first down, but anayising the west coast offense strictly from a pass to run ratio it should be acknowledged that some passes are kinda runs

They're like runs in that they're higher-percentage passes, but they're still passes.  The only ones that you could say are like runs are the ones in the backfield or if a back is similarly not-covered.  A short, quick slant where the target is blanketed is not just like a running play.

MM likes to chuck it deep more than most WCO guys (or so it seems).  But still, a pass is still a pass.  There are higher and lower percentage passes, but I don't see the hallmark disproportionate number of passes into the backfield where no one is within 3 yards (or more) of the receiver when the ball's thrown.  Our backs have a combined 10 passes in 2 games (and that number isn't low because of a bunch of misfires to un-covered Powell/Ivory/Bohanon).  When I think of a true WCO I envision teams that have RBs catching 110-120 passes (sometimes more if the team has that kind of talent). 

Also a lot of the short passes Geno's thrown were safety-valve passes under duress (the completed short pass was not the ideal or intended outcome of the play as called). Particularly with Winslow in week 1, which is among the main reasons I think it's ridiculous to assume we'd be 2-0 with Sanchez. Mark doesn't make any of those throws, let alone complete them.  He'd have thrown it away or taken the sack after standing still in the pocket until it was too late & all we'd have gotten was more excuses about how Drew Brees on his best day couldn't complete passes behind the 0.1 seconds our OL gave him, never mind completing them to a broken down has-been like Winslow, with mindless claims that he wasn't open all game long. 

In other words, just because MM runs a WCO, doesn't mean that the bulk of the passes are designed high-percentage throws to receivers who aren't covered, that they're the same as a running play.  Not even close.

Running the ball is an effective tactic to keep prolific passers and option QBs off the field.  The only problem is your QB needs to be able to complete passes on 3rd down to sustain drives and your D needs to stop the other guy on 3rd down.  I see Geno improving a bit on third downs but I lack confidence in the D to do their part.  

They're like runs in that they're higher-percentage passes, but they're still passes.  The only ones that you could say are like runs are the ones in the backfield or if a back is similarly not-covered.  A short, quick slant where the target is blanketed is not just like a running play.

MM likes to chuck it deep more than most WCO guys (or so it seems).  But still, a pass is still a pass.  There are higher and lower percentage passes, but I don't see the hallmark disproportionate number of passes into the backfield where no one is within 3 yards (or more) of the receiver when the ball's thrown.  Our backs have a combined 10 passes in 2 games (and that number isn't low because of a bunch of misfires to un-covered Powell/Ivory/Bohanon).  When I think of a true WCO I envision teams that have RBs catching 110-120 passes (sometimes more if the team has that kind of talent). 

Also a lot of the short passes Geno's thrown were safety-valve passes under duress (the completed short pass was not the ideal or intended outcome of the play as called). Particularly with Winslow in week 1, which is among the main reasons I think it's ridiculous to assume we'd be 2-0 with Sanchez. Mark doesn't make any of those throws, let alone complete them.  He'd have thrown it away or taken the sack after standing still in the pocket until it was too late & all we'd have gotten was more excuses about how Drew Brees on his best day couldn't complete passes behind the 0.1 seconds our OL gave him, never mind completing them to a broken down has-been like Winslow, with mindless claims that he wasn't open all game long. 

In other words, just because MM runs a WCO, doesn't mean that the bulk of the passes are designed high-percentage throws to receivers who aren't covered, that they're the same as a running play.  Not even close.

never said bulk, and I agree MM loves the long ball.  don't know where the sanchez stuff comes form, I must have missed that part.

I would guess the amount of passes that are kinda like runs is probably 10% to 15% but saw you breaking down the ratio to individual plays and just wanted to throw it out there

I like what morningwood is doing, and I think it can only help geno.  I am actually excited to see the offense this weekend because they have had a long week instead of a short week, and even the opener geno was coming off an injury and so was holmes

they finally have had a chance to get healthy and get reps with geno.

never said bulk, and I agree MM loves the long ball.  don't know where the sanchez stuff comes form, I must have missed that part.

I would guess the amount of passes that are kinda like runs is probably 10% to 15% but saw you breaking down the ratio to individual plays and just wanted to throw it out there

I like what morningwood is doing, and I think it can only help geno.  I am actually excited to see the offense this weekend because they have had a long week instead of a short week, and even the opener geno was coming off an injury and so was holmes

they finally have had a chance to get healthy and get reps with geno.

Agreed.  And I've read it a couple of times here, that we'd be 2-0 with Sanchez.  I find that absurd.  But hey, we'll never know.

POwell had a big day. And yet it was hardly what determined the outcome. Big passes did. Further the Jets at the end couldn't or didn't run out the clock. Not to say running is unimportnat merely it's not close to as important as passing effectively. And a good pass rush covers for a multitude of penalties.

Lets all calm down on Bilal Powell. He was running through HUGE holes all game. Any RB with a little explosiveness and doesn't run like they are in sand probably gets 250 yards. If the Jets fool themselves into thinking that he's a starting RB they are morons. 

In fairness if you look around the NFL most RBs are pretty  much interchangeable.Powell in little better nor worse than most. 

Lets all calm down on Bilal Powell. He was running through HUGE holes all game. Any RB with a little explosiveness and doesn't run like they are in sand probably gets 250 yards. If the Jets fool themselves into thinking that he's a starting RB they are morons. 

Haha.  Says the guy with an Ivory pic in his Avatar.

Powell has more yards and a better YPC than Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles on less carries.

Maybe he's pretty good and you're wrong? 

Archived