Jets Injury Updates: Full Roster practices, Aboushi Gets Hurt

flgreen

Jets injury updates: Full roster practices, but Oday Aboushi gets hurt

Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger By  Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger  

Follow on Twitter

on September 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM, updated September 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The Jets began practice in Florham Park today under sunny skies with a full complement of players. All 53 members of the active roster were on the field, as were the eight members of the practice squad.

That group included Quinton Coples, who participated in team drills today in his first week back at practice after a fractured ankle. Coples reiterated that he is not in pain, and that his availability for Sunday's game against he Buffalo Bills will be decided by the Jets' medical staff.

Coples said he feels fortunate to have returned to practice ahead of the timetable provided by doctors. The Jets coach Rex Ryan is also excited to have his starting outside linebacker on the field again.

Asked if Coples will play, Ryan said, "Who knows? I hope he plays because this guy has worked his tail off. We’ll obviously lean on the trainers and the doctors, but man, he looks good out there."

Ryan said Santonio Holmes was given the day off from practice. Holmes was on the field with teammates during the portion of practice open to the media, but also spent time on the exercise bike on the sideline.

"As far as Buffalo knows, he's very questionable for the game," Ryan joked.

Sheldon Richardson (shoulder), Kenrick Ellis (back) and Kellen Winslow (knee) were limited but participated in practice.

The only low point of what Ryan called a tough and physical practice came when Oday Aboushi, the rookie offensive lineman, hurt his knee during one-on-one pass rushing drills. Ryan said an update on the fifth-round pick's condition would come Friday.

Brian Winters, a fellow rookie lineman and friend of Aboushi's, said it did not seem the injury was serious.

Antonio Cromartie said today that he has finally overcome the hip injury he suffered in training camp.

"I was only playing on one hip, but for me, that’s no excuse at all," the Jets cornerback said. "I’m never going to make an excuse for myself.

"Honestly, this is probably about the best I’ve felt in about five weeks, actually probably my first day of training camp. For me, it’s just been a nagging injury. I’m actually finally starting to feel a whole lot better. This is probably as close to 100 percent as I’m going to get, so I’m feeling real good right about now."

Archived