Powell?

TampaJet

Ivory's barely gotten the ball since yesterdays game. I don't think he's all world, but as an early down back I prefer him over Powell. He's gets yards after contact and has enough wiggle to make people miss. The run blocking yesterday was poor and has been for most of the season. He's shown he can score from everywhere on the field too. 3rd down, with Goodson gone...Powell's the guy. Im sure it will be more rotational going forward anyways.

Robinson's had one good game.

Fair enough.  I hope you're right.  I find him rather unimpressive whereas I find Powell rather impressive.

Fair enough.  I hope you're right.  I find him rather unimpressive whereas I find Powell rather impressive.

Neither guy is very impressive in context with good running backs imo.

As far as Trent goes....his vision is awful and its something you really can't teach. 

Neither guy is very impressive in context with good running backs imo.

As far as Trent goes....his vision is awful and its something you really can't teach. 

Maybe not, but I like the versatility Powell offers as opposed to Ivory.

I'm starting to think you're right about Trent.  I never thought he was elite or anything but I thought he'd fit well into that offense.  I guess not. 

Maybe not, but I like the versatility Powell offers as opposed to Ivory.

I'm starting to think you're right about Trent.  I never thought he was elite or anything but I thought he'd fit well into that offense.  I guess not. 

That's just another thread/topic that will fall into the annals of Jetnation that I was right about. 

My Carmelo posts should be put into the Smithsonian in 100 years.

Ivory's barely gotten the ball since yesterdays game. I don't think he's all world, but as an early down back I prefer him over Powell. He's gets yards after contact and has enough wiggle to make people miss. The run blocking yesterday was poor and has been for most of the season. He's shown he can score from everywhere on the field too. 3rd down, with Goodson gone...Powell's the guy. Im sure it will be more rotational going forward anyways.

Robinson's had one good game.

You prefer the RB with 68 Attempt  for 219 yards (3.2 YPC)  1 Rec --2 yards. 

I prefer the RB with 90 Attempt for 366 yards (4.1 YPC)  15 Rec  137 yards

I prefer the every down back who doesn't hold back the QB.

Yesterday Ivory was holding back, Geno, he couldn't check down with him cause the dude cant catch a beach ball to save his life.  Geno try to check down with him once and he dropped the ball in his only opportunity.  Geno never ventured with him again during the whole game. 

I can guarantee that small hand Greene was a better catcher than this dude. 

Yesterday Ivory was holding back, Geno, he couldn't check down with him cause the dude cant catch a beach ball to save his life.

I can guarantee that short hand Greene was a better catcher than this dude. 

I dont recall many check downs at all yesterday. Everything Geno was throwing was down the field. The run blocking was awful yesterday...Ivory on the last possession put in work. Powell was on the bench for a reason.

I dont recall many check downs at all yesterday. Everything Geno was throwing was down the field. The run blocking was awful yesterday...Ivory on the last possession put in work. Powell was on the bench for a reason.

Exactly, because Ivory held him back on check down when there was nothing down field.  That is why Geno had only 52% completion.  If Powel was on the field and when there was nothing down field, he would have dump it to Powel for an easy completion.  When Ivory is in the field as an every down RB, as he was yesterday, he is holding Geno back.  Teams, on third down discard Ivory as a receiver and that is an extra DB to go against our mediocre receiving corps.

1. Should maybe have stated Powell was the starter.

2. I guess they figured they didnt need to keep and pay Sproles, Ingram, Thomas, and Ivory. Makes sense to me.

I love Powell too - but Ivory will get us more points

How many TDs did Ivory score again?

He's a guy who needed over 30 carries to get 100 yards.  He's a guy who rarely catches a pass.  I"m not sure why people bow down to him and think he's some kind of savior RB.   He is what he is and he's not going to win or lose you games.  And a person who says the Pats are just as good as if Wilfork was still in there is kind of ridiculous.   

He's a guy who needed over 30 carries to get 100 yards.  He's a guy who rarely catches a pass.  I"m not sure why people bow down to him and think he's some kind of savior RB.   He is what he is and he's not going to win or lose you games.  And a person who says the Pats are just as good as if Wilfork was still in there is kind of ridiculous.   

Who is bowing down to Chris Ivory? Powell isnt winning or losing you games either.

Yesterday Ivory was holding back, Geno, he couldn't check down with him cause the dude cant catch a beach ball to save his life.  Geno try to check down with him once and he dropped the ball in his only opportunity.  Geno never ventured with him again during the whole game. 

I can guarantee that small hand Greene was a better catcher than this dude. 

On the face of them the stats you quote seem persuasive, but the sample for Ivory's ypc I think was too small.  As others have noted his yards were mostly gained AFTER first contact with a defender in the Pats game, and so that overall stat of ypc is somewhat deceptive in describing his effectiveness.  Whether it was excellent play by the Pats' run defenders, the effect of NE loading up the box on running plays, poor run blocking by the Jet OL, or some combination thereof, I think it is fair to acknowledge Ivory got tough yards.

The best for us as Jet fans is if the two are used in tandem, but obviously the CS chose to use mostly Ivory.  I assume Powell has some injury problem, which hopefully he gets over soon.

Ivory's concern for me is he is not a good receiver.  But Powell is not very good, either, even if somewhat better in that aspect than Ivory.

Who is bowing down to Chris Ivory? Powell isnt winning or losing you games either.

I rather take a RB with a 4.1 YPC 137 receiving yards on 15 catches  than a 3.1 YPC -2 as in minus 2 yards on 1 catch, ANYDAY.  But hey, it is only me, you can have your opinion that Ivory is a better backs.

Obviously entitled to your opinion. Love Powell as a person and a player. My opinion is Ivory has greater burst, is faster around the edges and if he stays healthy will provide or put us in position for more points than Bilal.  

I rather take a RB with a 4.1 YPC 137 receiving yards on 15 catches  than a 3.1 YPC -2 as in minus 2 yards on 1 catch, ANYDAY.  But hey, it is only me, you can have your opinion that Ivory is a better backs.

If you want to look at stats with zero context we can do that all day. 

On the face of them the stats you quote seem persuasive, but the sample for Ivory's ypc I think was too small.  As others have noted his yards were mostly gained AFTER first contact with a defender in the Pats game, and so that overall stat of ypc is somewhat deceptive in describing his effectiveness.  Whether it was excellent play by the Pats' run defenders, the effect of NE loading up the box on running plays, poor run blocking by the Jet OL, or some combination thereof, I think it is fair to acknowledge Ivory got tough yards.

The best for us as Jet fans is if the two are used in tandem, but obviously the CS chose to use mostly Ivory.  I assume Powell has some injury problem, which hopefully he gets over soon.

Ivory's concern for me is he is not a good receiver.  But Powell is not very good, either, even if somewhat better in that aspect than Ivory.

NE is 31 against the run and they are missing their best run stopper in Wilfork.  There was many times when Geno had to convert on third and long cause Ivory went up the middle for no gain or one yard.  He held Geno back cause he could not catch the check down ball.   If this guy continue to be our every down back then Geno will not finish this season with 50% completion. 

NE is 31 against the run and they are missing their best run stopper in Wilfork.  There was many times when Geno had to convert on third and long cause he went up the middle for no gain or one yard.  He held Geno back cause he could not catch the check down ball.   If this guy continue to be our every down back then Geno will not finish this season with 50% completion. 

New England's ranking is not indicative of how they actually play the run, you're only taking a cursory look at the stats and it's misleading.  New England is 31st in allowing rushing yards per game, but that's because they are a top 5 team in play the pass, so teams run the ball on them more, but that's not to say teams are gouging them.  NE is league average and allowing about 4.05 yards per rush, which is the more telling stat than ypg.  The jets and the broncos on the other hand are 1 and 2 in total rushing yards per game and yards per rush as well.  You're also forgetting to mention that Vellano has graded out well against the run and Spikes is the best run-defending ILB in the league and has made a dozen tackles at or behind the LOS in the last couple weeks, he's made Wilfork's loss less major.  

And below 50% on the year if Ivory is the main back?? That's completely over-exagerated; geno dirted or threw the ball away about 8 times, had a handful of drops and still had above 50% completion, so there's not much merit to this other than trying to prove a point.  Powell and Ivory are both going to play a big part in the remaining games, not sure why we need to tear down one of our own players.

New England's ranking is not indicative of how they actually play the run, you're only taking a cursory look at the stats and it's misleading.  New England is 31st in allowing rushing yards per game, but that's because they are a top 5 team in play the pass, so teams run the ball on them more, but that's not to say teams are gouging them.  NE is league average and allowing about 4.05 yards per rush, which is the more telling stat than ypg.  The jets and the broncos on the other hand are 1 and 2 in total rushing yards per game and yards per rush as well.  You're also forgetting to mention that Vellano has graded out well against the run and Spikes is the best run-defending ILB in the league and has made a dozen tackles at or behind the LOS in the last couple weeks, he's made Wilfork's loss less major.  

And below 50% on the year if Ivory is the main back?? That's completely over-exagerated; geno dirted or threw the ball away about 8 times, had a handful of drops and still had above 50% completion, so there's not much merit to this other than trying to prove a point.  Powell and Ivory are both going to play a big part in the remaining games, not sure why we need to tear down one of our own players.

Misleading or not, they are 31st and easy to run now that Wilfork is out for the year.  Watch as other team start raking up big number against them.  Ivory 34 rush for 104 yards was unimpressive, anyhow you try to slice it.

I think Powell might be part of a Gordon package, thats my conspiracy theory

It'd be a nice swing for sure, but an ill-advised one, seeing as how we'd be left with the injury-prone ivory as our lone back. If he went down at any point, Idzik would be absolutely crucified for trading powell away, and rightly sow.  

Archived