" Myths Already Busted About the New York Jets " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Coming into the season a lot of the media thought they had it all figured out with the Jets. They hired a GM who was a “contract” guy that knows nothing of scouting and personnel. The coach was a dead man walking who had already lost the team and might even be fired in season and that this team was the worst team in the league.

Let’s take these one at a time so we’ll start with John Idzik. Idzik was known in league circles as someone who specialized in the business side of things. Whether that was contracts, contract negotiations or back-end stuff, John was your man. People dismissed a couple of important facts, one he is a son of coach, as his father John was a defensive coordinator with the Jets in the late 70′s so John Idzik has been a lifer not some college sabermatrician. Second, Idzik was scouting for the Seahawks the whole of last year to both refresh his skills and to help overcome his reputation.

So how has he done with the Jets so far? Pretty well. He had a pretty good first draft with five out of seven draft picks starting and all have a very good chance of being a long-term solution at their position. Sheldon Richardson has been a brick wall against the run and has graded out as the best rookie in the league through seven weeks. Dee Milliner is still trying to put it all together as injuries and the complexities of this defenses have made his adjustment more difficult. Geno Smith’s choice was much maligned but Geno gets better each week as it is plain to see that he is the long-term answer at quarterback with four 4th quarter game winning drives, three of those leading to game ending Nick Folk field goals. Brian Winters took over for Vlad Ducasse and he is still getting beat but the potential is there and he does not commit the penalties Ducasse did. Tommy Bohanon gets meaningful carries to spell Chris Ivory as well as being used as a pass protector and occasional safety valve. Some of his free agent highlights were that he signed Willie Colon, brought back Calvin Pace at a much reduced salary, resigned Nick Folk, signed Kellen Winslow, signed Leger Douzable, and filled in-season holes with David Nelson and Josh Cribbs. He took some chances and got burned by injuries to Antwan Barnes, David Garrard who retired then just returned to the team after his knee had failed him, but the team is better now overall with his stamp on it.

The second myth was that Rex Ryan was a dead man walking whose team had quit on him and that he would be fired, possibly in season. I was in the minority as most Jets fans I encountered said they liked Rex but he was going to be gone because Idzik wanted to start over and he needed to make the playoffs to keep his job. My feeling was that this has always been looked at as year one of a two year rebuild so Rex’s fate wouldn’t be tied to a win total but instead to how the many young players on the team develop. With six players in their first 3 three years on defense alone it was a wise decision for Ryan to go back to teaching defense as well as calling plays. He understood that he was at his best (2009-2010) motivating the team as a whole while coaching defense predominantly. This time instead of handing off the offense to an incompetent coordinator like Tony Sparano he went with Marty Mornhinweg of the Eagles who had top 10 offenses in eight out of the last ten years. He hired David Lee as the quarterbacks coach to provide an excellent one two punch in the development of a rookie quarterback. If the quarterback and the young players developed then it would set the team back to fire the head coach and staff while starting over again.

How has it turned out so far for Rex? The team is 4-3 and has done it in come from behind fashion each time. Each week Geno Smith gets a bit better and shows you another glimpse of the future as his skills and confidence grows. Led by a spectacular defensive line the team already has 25 sacks, which is five short of the total of the entire season last year. Muhammad Wilkerson has become a bona fide star, Damon Harrison has blossomed from an undrafted free agent in 2012 to someone playing at a Pro Bowl level this year, Sheldon Richardson has been dominant against the run, Leger Douzable has surpassed all expectations and Antonio Allen has stepped up at safety. This team has plenty of holes, especially with very few playmakers but these players are playing very hard and to a man they say they are playing for Rex Ryan. Not bad for a dead man walking.

The last busted myth we will get into is the one where many publication & media outlets, especially ESPN, ranked the Jets dead last in their initial power rankings. There is no rational basis for this ranking to begin with. The year before they were 6-10 not 2-14. They were 6-10 because their best player on offense (Santonio Holmes) and defense (Darrelle Revis) were lost to season-ending injuries leaving the Jets without a way to replace their production. They were 6-10 because the owner brought in Tim Tebow and it was a huge distraction that no team could overcome. The pieces were there and reinforcements were coming with seven draft picks including two first round picks. You could not believe in the picks or the culture here but no one could rationally say that the Jets were worse than the Raiders or Jaguars. No one.

Here they are at 4-3 and in the top half of the league. That could change tomorrow and the team could enter into a skid but they will still be better than Jacksonville and the Giants among others at the bottom of the league. This team has young talent and is overachieving a little because of a coach who inspires players to be their best and used these rankings as a season-long rallying cry.

This is only the beginning. Next year brings about $30-40 million in cap space and 10 draft packs including two 3rd round picks. The future is bright and don’t let anyone tell you different.

http://thejetpress.com/2013/10/24/my...ik-geno-smith/

Nice write up.  i agree that the future does look bright with the cap space and draft picks for next year.  I hope the team focuses on offense with at least two maybe even three of the first four picks.  Honestly I am as concerned with the firtght side of the line as I am the need for a playmaker.  Howard and Colon have done a nice job but getting younger on that side of the line would not be a bad thing.... 

Nice write up.  i agree that the future does look bright with the cap space and draft picks for next year.  I hope the team focuses on offense with at least two maybe even three of the first four picks.  Honestly I am as concerned with the firtght side of the line as I am the need for a playmaker.  Howard and Colon have done a nice job but getting younger on that side of the line would not be a bad thing.... 

Colon is only a year older than Ferguson and Mangold.  His injury concerns are more the problem.  Howard is only 26 and I would suspect that they drafted Aboushi to groom - that doesn't look to have worked out.  I suspect they will continue spending mid-round picks on the oline in case some are needed. 

I have to admit that Rex has surprised me somewhat this season. I am still not sold on him being the answer, but the team is playing well - at least every other week. That inconsistency comes with a young team, but Rex has to show that he can motivate this team when expectations are high, not just when they are low. I like Idzik as GM and will love to see him bring some offensive weapons to the club next season. Geno is looking better each week and I have more faith in him than I would have had in Sanchez. Still need WR help and OL depth and maybe another RB, or TE, but headed in right direction for once.

Just my opinion, but I think that forcing draft picks at any particular  position, or even on one side of the ball is a formula for disaster.  

The Jets are in a very good position right now (that is if Smith is actually going to be a good QB) in that they appear to be a competitive team, that has a lot of cap space next year.  The cap space, and FA is where you fill in holes in FA.

With the draft picks you do what the Jets did this year,  Always take the BAP.  That is how you keep your roster full of good young talent, at a reasonable price.  The only exception to this rule is QB.  If there is what appears to be a franchise QB in the draft, and you need one, you do anything to get him.

Colon is only a year older than Ferguson and Mangold.  His injury concerns are more the problem.  Howard is only 26 and I would suspect that they drafted Aboushi to groom - that doesn't look to have worked out.  I suspect they will continue spending mid-round picks on the oline in case some are needed. 

I guess that is why I thought colon was older.  BUT if there is a good RT available in Round 3 I would like to see the Jets get him

Just my opinion, but I think that forcing draft picks at any particular  position, or even on one side of the ball is a formula for disaster.  

The Jets are in a very good position right now (that is if Smith is actually going to be a good QB) in that they appear to be a competitive team, that has a lot of cap space next year.  The cap space, and FA is where you fill in holes in FA.

With the draft picks you do what the Jets did this year,  Always take the BAP.  That is how you keep your roster full of good young talent, at a reasonable price.  The only exception to this rule is QB.  If there is what appears to be a franchise QB in the draft, and you need one, you do anything to get him.I

I am not suggesting that the Jets focus on a position, but they 4 picks I think in the first three rounds, which means they can potientially get 4 of the top hundred or so  players in the draft.  I would like to see them remember the offense...earlier rather than later. 

I have to admit that Rex has surprised me somewhat this season. I am still not sold on him being the answer, but the team is playing well - at least every other week. That inconsistency comes with a young team, but Rex has to show that he can motivate this team when expectations are high, not just when they are low. I like Idzik as GM and will love to see him bring some offensive weapons to the club next season. Geno is looking better each week and I have more faith in him than I would have had in Sanchez. Still need WR help and OL depth and maybe another RB, or TE, but headed in right direction for once.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as down on Rex as I was.  Up until this season, he had pretty much shown himself incapable of changing and growing, but whether it is because of the specter of his job being on the line, Idzik being here, or Rex actually having learned and grown as a HC, I like the job he's doing this year.  He still needs to work on clock management, challenges, and not getting passive at the end of games as well as getting the team motivated and ready to play every week, not just occasionally, but if the team continues to play well this season, then not only would I not be opposed to Rex's contract being extended, I might even be in favor of it.

With the draft picks you do what the Jets did this year,  Always take the BAP.  That is how you keep your roster full of good young talent, at a reasonable price.  The only exception to this rule is QB.  If there is what appears to be a franchise QB in the draft, and you need one, you do anything to get him.

Reaching for players at positions of need IS a recipe for disaster, but it also doesn't help to ignore positions of need, either.  There are other ways of getting players you want in the draft without blindly sticking to just taking the BAP.  One can trade down or up.  Also, more than one player can be roughly equal gradewise at a team's pick, and in that scenario the importance of position can outweigh a few hundredths of a point in ranking.

Both Bradway and Tanny were bad about ignoring certain positions/units of the team and continually drafting other positions.  I don't care who's the BAP when the Jets pick in the first round next year, they don't need another DL.  If there's not another player on their board of equal value also available at that pick, then they have to trade down if at all possible.  

Assuming that Geno proves to be their QB of the future, the biggest positions of need as I see them are in order: WR, pass-rushing OLB, TE, S, OL, and possibly RB.   Of course that could easily change after FA.  Hopefully, at a minimum, the Jets will be able to add a veteran WR, TE and OL help (possibly upgrade the RT spot or improve the depth).  I'd love to add a veteran pass-rushing OLB, but they just aren't available very often, and when they are its because they want too much money, have injury issues or off-field issues.  They're probably going to have to draft the pass rusher they need.  In general, I'm not in favor of trading up in the draft, and am glad that Idzik doesn't seem to be that type, but if he thinks there's a real difference-maker at WR and doesn't have to give up the farm to move up to get him, then I won't quibble as long as the WR turns out to be the stud they think he will be.

They can add a blocking TE and OL in the middle (4th-5th round) or lower.  I'm hoping that with 3 of those 4 picks in the top 100, that they can come away with a WR, pass-rushing OLB, and a FS who excels in coverage.  If they want to use the other 3rd round pick on a QB, RB, TE, another WR or whatever that would be fine with me, it would be gravy.  I would have said a CB, but 3rd round CBs almost never pan out.

I guess that is why I thought colon was older.  BUT if there is a good RT available in Round 3 I would like to see the Jets get him

agreed !..I think the I-man will be looking to upgrade our rt dept. this off-season :winking0001:

Yeah, I'm not nearly as down on Rex as I was.  Up until this season, he had pretty much shown himself incapable of changing and growing, but whether it is because of the specter of his job being on the line, Idzik being here, or Rex actually having learned and grown as a HC, I like the job he's doing this year.  He still needs to work on clock management, challenges, and not getting passive at the end of games as well as getting the team motivated and ready to play every week, not just occasionally, but if the team continues to play well this season, then not only would I not be opposed to Rex's contract being extended, I might even be in favor of it.

our new off. coord. has been a big help :winking0001:

Drafting BPA and still filling important needs shouldn't be difficult.  WR, TE, OL, LB, CB, SS, FS are all areas where we need upgrades.  I don't think there's going to be a lot of debate on the picks' positions unless we go DL, DL, DL with our first three picks. 

our new off. coord. has been a big help :winking0001:

That goes without saying.   :winking0001:   Mornhinweg has been HUGE.  Without him, I don't see any way the Jets would be anywhere near 4-3.  That said, the hiring of Mornhinweg seems to suggest that Rex realized that the Jets cannot win with his old-fashioned, conservative approach on offense, and needed a more aggressive, attacking offense.  I have to think that Rex had a lot to do with the hiring of Morhinweg, if it wasn't his idea entirely, as Idzik wasn't really here yet.  They may have consulted Idzik, but even if they did, unless he told Rex that's who his new OC would be, Rex showed signs of growing as a HC in his choice of Mornhinweg.  He has shown some other signs of growth this year.  OTOH, he stupidly put Sanchez in behind the 2nd/3rd string OL in a dumb preseason game.  It wound up working well for the Jets, but still was a colossally stupid move imo.  Is whatever growth he has experienced enough for him to keep his job and to become the HC we want him to be?  That remains to be seen.  He still needs to learn how to handle the clock, challenges, not get passive at the end of games, and do a better job of keeping the team motivated, especially following big wins.

Was it just dumb luck that Rex got to do that show with Mornhinweg years ago, and that's what led to Mornhinweg's hiring?  If so, the Jets were due for some luck.

Drafting BPA and still filling important needs shouldn't be difficult.  WR, TE, OL, LB, CB, SS, FS are all areas where we need upgrades.  I don't think there's going to be a lot of debate on the picks' positions unless we go DL, DL, DL with our first three picks. 

I basically agree, but think that there would be a lot of upset Jets fans if ANY DL are taken. The Jets have one of the best DLs in the entire league, excellent depth, and have zero need on the DL.  I don't think Idzik would be that locked into BPA that he would take a DL, but you never know.  We don't know him that well yet.

Is Kelly trying to pick up the slack left by Blackout, Joewilly and 333?  Dude has started 8 of the most recent threads on this forum and hasn't caught sh*t for it, does he have nudes of himself and Max together or something? The enigma that is Kelly continues to vex me.

" ...nudes... "   ?  ?

:character0181:

Archived