Vaunted

Lizard King

Also, with Rex a speed edge guy can pay some dividends without being so great.  Guys like Maybin or Barnes.  Barnes was filling the role pretty well and got hurt and they had to resort to McIntyre.  No matter how good your OLB is, he doesn't help on IR.

Barnes had one role here, which was be the edge speed guy. Losing him definitely sucks....Mcyintyre might be a better overall player, but Barnes had the shot out of a cannon ability off the edge.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnes had one role here, which was be the edge speed guy. Losing him definitely sucks....Mcyintyre might be a better overall player, but Barnes had the shot out of a cannon ability off the edge.

Yeah.  With the push they are getting up the middle from Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson having somebody come quick around the edge is huge.  When Maybin was here it was easy to just push him around the outside of the pocket since there was usually plenty of room to step up.

Yeah.  With the push they are getting up the middle from Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson having somebody come quick around the edge is huge.  When Maybin was here it was easy to just push him around the outside of the pocket since there was usually plenty of room to step up.

And that's why the OLB is more important than a CB.  Even the best CBs can only stay with receivers for something like 4 seconds (maybe less) and then coverage breaks down.  Yes, the Jets are getting better pressure this year, but still not enough.  How many passes have they batted down?  How many interceptions/errant throws have they forced?  How many strip sacks have they had?  

Barnes isn't even that good any more and he shows how important having speed at the OLB position is.  It disrupts timing of pass plays, makes QBs have to move , take their eyes off of receivers, hurries their throws, etc. 

Teams usually have more than one receiver on any given play.  A great CB can still only cover 1 receiver.  The OLB can sack or pressure the QB so much that he doesn't have time to complete a pass to one of his open receivers or makes a bad throw which can then be intercepted even by average or below average DBs.

And that's why the OLB is more important than a CB.  Even the best CBs can only stay with receivers for something like 4 seconds (maybe less) and then coverage breaks down.  Yes, the Jets are getting better pressure this year, but still not enough.  How many passes have they batted down?  How many interceptions/errant throws have they forced?  How many strip sacks have they had?  

Barnes isn't even that good any more and he shows how important having speed at the OLB position is.  It disrupts timing of pass plays, makes QBs have to move , take their eyes off of receivers, hurries their throws, etc. 

Teams usually have more than one receiver on any given play.  A great CB can still only cover 1 receiver.  The OLB can sack or pressure the QB so much that he doesn't have time to complete a pass to one of his open receivers or makes a bad throw which can then be intercepted even by average or below average DBs.

In the Jets losses the defense is getting beat by teams spreading them out and the ball is leaving the QB's hands quickly. No amount of pass rush can do anything about this. Guys are getting open and good QB's have figured out Rex's blitz schemes...they know who they're going to and who's going to be open.

I'm talking about the position in general.  You can always cherry pick two extremes and compare a Revis to a Gholston to skew an argument.  The book on a 3-4 D alignment says that THE most important player is your pass rushing OLB.  The second most important player is the NT.  CB may be #3, but it isn't #1 or #2, and it isn't even close.

Supposedly, in Rex's version of the 3-4, the CB is more important, and according to some Jets fans more important than the OLB.  If that's true, then imo it's a serious flaw in his thinking and conception of the defense, and why he isn't as great as some want to proclaim him, and why the Jets will never have a dominant D until they get that pass rusher.  Even if that truly is Rex's conception, the GM is supposed to know better, and make the right decisions.

oh boy....your questioning rex's thinking and concepts on defense? really????

oh boy....your questioning rex's thinking and concepts on defense? really????

He's not perfect and above question.  If he goes against the grain of the way the defense was designed to work, then yes, he deserves to be questioned, particularly when until this year his D has had little or no pass rush without an all-out blitz, and even that rarely works any more.

You can choose to mindlessly accept whatever he does if you want, I, OTOH, have a brain and choose to use it. 

He's not perfect and above question.  If he goes against the grain of the way the defense was designed to work, then yes, he deserves to be questioned, particularly when until this year his D has had little or no pass rush without an all-out blitz, and even that rarely works any more.

You can choose to mindlessly accept whatever he does if you want, I, OTOH, have a brain and choose to use it. 

I dont mindlessly accept anything in this life but when it comes to Rex and this defense, I'll defer to him on the "concepts" of implementing an NFL defense. Is he above criticism? no.  But to think that you magically solved anything on his defense is a bit naive on your part. This is from bleacher report so take it with a grain of salt:

The Jets featured a decrepit rush defense in 2012 that ranked among the worst in the NFL, fueling opposing offenses past the chains on a frequent basis. Gang Green couldn't get its defense off the field last season, but New York has flipped the script in 2013.

The Jets rank second against the run through seven games this season, giving up a meager total of 77.7 yards per game. The defensive backfield, which no longer showcases Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, has efficiently complemented the team's beastly front seven.

Gang Green ranks 10th overall defending the pass, yielding a pedestrian total of 224.9 passing yards per contest.

The Jets' drastic improvement on defense has been ignited by head coach Rex Ryan, who is arguably the best defensive mind in the game. Ryan had previously taken a backseat to former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine but reasserted himself as the primary shot caller on defense before this season.

New York also boasts an influx of youth on defense, revamping the team's formerly prominent pass rush that mounted an inefficient total of 30 sacks last season. In contrast, the Jets have recorded 24 sacks in their first seven games in 2013.

The following slideshow highlights the five biggest reasons for the Jets' defensive improvement in 2013:

The problems with the Jets' defense is they have a TON invested at the CB position and are getting nothing for it.

Overthecap.com

Revis = $13M dead cap space

Cromartie = $6.5M

Wilson = $2M

Milliner = $2.3M

$24M on this year's cap for these 4.  Draft-wise, we got a #1 for Revis but gave it back for Milliner.  Wilson also cost a #1 and Cromartie a #2.

Two #1s and a #2 and $24M in cap space and our CBs are garbage.  If someone thinks it's defensive scheme they haven't been watching Jets games this year IMO.  There is no defensive scheme that will get top-notch production in 2013 from this investment. And this doesn't even include we're using two stop-gap guys at safety. 

If the CBs were playing up to their potential (or their theoretical potential) the safeties wouldn't be much of a factor and our whole defense would be total badass even without Revis.  There are teams that have top-ranked pass defenses every year without Revis or his supposed equivalent on their rosters.

The problems with the Jets' defense is they have a TON invested at the CB position and are getting nothing for it.

And this doesn't even include we're using two stop-gap guys at safety. 

To be fair, I think they are only using one stop gap guy at safety.  Landry.  Allen, Jarrett and Bush are young and all seem somewhat promising.  The problem as I see it is that they are all more in the box banger safeties and not a good compliment for Landry.  Bush is the one that should cover some ground and play the pass, but he seems the worst of the lot. 

If the CBs were playing up to their potential (or their theoretical potential) the safeties wouldn't be much of a factor and our whole defense would be total badass even without Revis.  There are teams that have top-ranked pass defenses every year without Revis or his supposed equivalent on their rosters.

Including the 2012 Jets.

To be fair, I think they are only using one stop gap guy at safety.  Landry.  Allen, Jarrett and Bush are young and all seem somewhat promising.  The problem as I see it is that they are all more in the box banger safeties and not a good compliment for Landry.  Bush is the one that should cover some ground and play the pass, but he seems the worst of the lot. 

Including the 2012 Jets.

The other 3 are in a 1-year tryout to see if the team is moving on from them or sticking with them.  Given the limited potential they showed prior to this year, I believe they went into the year seeing it as a stop-gap stance unless we get lucky.  We had 2 young safeties (6th/7th rounders, yes) and we couldn't replace every starter with a higher draft pick or higher priced FA, in addition to the other holes to fill with limited space, in 1 season.

I think they're stop-gap players in the way Willie Colon is.  In March they were seen as just as likely to be 1-year placeholders as Willie Colon.  If any or all played well, we'd go with them for another year (or more).  I don't see a stop-gap guy as a sure-thing to be on the team for only 1 year.  It's a warm body you throw onto the field who has a high probability to not be in the team's long-term plans.  Those 3 safeties qualify. 

The other 3 are in a 1-year tryout to see if the team is moving on from them or sticking with them.  Given the limited potential they showed prior to this year, I believe they went into the year seeing it as a stop-gap stance unless we get lucky.  We had 2 young safeties (6th/7th rounders, yes) and we couldn't replace every starter with a higher draft pick or higher priced FA, in addition to the other holes to fill with limited space, in 1 season.

I think they're stop-gap players in the way Willie Colon is.  In March they were seen as just as likely to be 1-year placeholders as Willie Colon.  If any or all played well, we'd go with them for another year (or more).  I don't see a stop-gap guy as a sure-thing to be on the team for only 1 year.  It's a warm body you throw onto the field who has a high probability to not be in the team's long-term plans.  Those 3 safeties qualify. 

Yeah.  I pretty much agree.  I realized after I replied that they are stop gaps in terms of investment and likelihood of finding a better replacement.  It isn't like last year when they had Landry and Bell and you knew they'd almost certainly both be gone the next camp.  I'd liken them more to Austin Howard or maybe Slauson in 2010 than Colon. Guys that you want to succeed and will give the opportunity, but you don't really expect or rely on too much.  I wouldn't compare them to Willie Colon because he is older and injury prone and they need to keep back filling bodies behind him no matter how well he plays. I think that Allen has proven he belongs on an NFL roster, but possibly/probably only in a rotational role.

Yeah.  I pretty much agree.  I realized after I replied that they are stop gaps in terms of investment and likelihood of finding a better replacement.  It isn't like last year when they had Landry and Bell and you knew they'd almost certainly both be gone the next camp.  I'd liken them more to Austin Howard or maybe Slauson in 2010 than Colon. Guys that you want to succeed and will give the opportunity, but you don't really expect or rely on too much.  I wouldn't compare them to Willie Colon because he is older and injury prone and they need to keep back filling bodies behind him no matter how well he plays. I think that Allen has proven he belongs on an NFL roster, but possibly/probably only in a rotational role.

Yes, Howard 2012 (and 2013 for that matter) is a great example as well.  Like Allen, if he sucked then we'd have moved on the following season.  He was good enough last year to offer him another stop-gap contract this season in case he doesn't get any better (or in case he gets worse like Hunter did).  If he wasn't being treated as a stop-gap player then we'd have made him a 3-year deal at least.  Would have put more $ in Howard's pocket this year and would have been a lower cap hit for the Jets this year (not to mention cheaper than he'll be next season).  The problem is if he regressed from his meh play in 2012, then the contract looks really stupid.  Plus we had a OL-rich draft upcoming, and if we found a RT for $500K per year - for 4 years - who can play at that same level or better, then you see if you can get one before locking the team into Austin Howard for 6x that.

Yes, Howard 2012 (and 2013 for that matter) is a great example as well.  Like Allen, if he sucked then we'd have moved on the following season.  He was good enough last year to offer him another stop-gap contract this season in case he doesn't get any better (or in case he gets worse like Hunter did).  If he wasn't being treated as a stop-gap player then we'd have made him a 3-year deal at least.  Would have put more $ in Howard's pocket this year and would have been a lower cap hit for the Jets this year (not to mention cheaper than he'll be next season).  The problem is if he regressed from his meh play in 2012, then the contract looks really stupid.  Plus we had a OL-rich draft upcoming, and if we found a RT for $500K per year - for 4 years - who can play at that same level or better, then you see if you can get one before locking the team into Austin Howard for 6x that.

Doesn't look like Aboushi is it though.  They may be able to kick Winters outside and add a G, but who knows?

I dont mindlessly accept anything in this life but when it comes to Rex and this defense, I'll defer to him on the "concepts" of implementing an NFL defense. Is he above criticism? no.  But to think that you magically solved anything on his defense is a bit naive on your part. This is from bleacher report so take it with a grain of salt:

The Jets featured a decrepit rush defense in 2012 that ranked among the worst in the NFL, fueling opposing offenses past the chains on a frequent basis. Gang Green couldn't get its defense off the field last season, but New York has flipped the script in 2013.

The Jets rank second against the run through seven games this season, giving up a meager total of 77.7 yards per game. The defensive backfield, which no longer showcases Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, has efficiently complemented the team's beastly front seven.

Gang Green ranks 10th overall defending the pass, yielding a pedestrian total of 224.9 passing yards per contest.

The Jets' drastic improvement on defense has been ignited by head coach Rex Ryan, who is arguably the best defensive mind in the game. Ryan had previously taken a backseat to former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine but reasserted himself as the primary shot caller on defense before this season.

New York also boasts an influx of youth on defense, revamping the team's formerly prominent pass rush that mounted an inefficient total of 30 sacks last season. In contrast, the Jets have recorded 24 sacks in their first seven games in 2013.

The following slideshow highlights the five biggest reasons for the Jets' defensive improvement in 2013:

First of all, I didn't say or even think I had magically solved anything.  It's the designer of the 3-4 D (whoever that was) that came up with the magic. All I was doing was pointing out the way the system is designed and supposed to work.  

Second, I guess I wasn't very clear and didn't go far enough in my comments.  Please notice in my earlier post that I said "Supposedly" and "according to some Jets fans."  I didn't say that I agree with those fans, and for the most part, I don't.  It's quite possible that Tanny was just guy shy about drafting another OLB after missing so badly on Ghoulston (spelling in honor of Halloween and his frightfully bad play) even though Rex kept telling him that he needed a younger, faster playmaker at OLB.  

It was rumored that Rex really wanted Brooks Reed  a couple of years ago.  If true, that would prove that what some Jets fans are saying isn't true. Personally, I don't believe that Rex is that arrogant.  While I think he is creative and does value the CB position more than perhaps most 3-4 D DCs, I think he's had to be creative with his blitzes and figure out ways to try to generate a pass rush and stop the run on D without one of the key pieces.  Since Pace and Thomas were good against the run, I think he just may have decided to not make waves and do the best he could with the players he had on hand.  

OTOH, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Rex may think he's smarter than he actually is.  He had a lot of success with his blitzes in 2009, but then less so in 2010, and progressively less since.  He's been slow to learn and adapt in other ways (holding players accountable, moving on from Ground & Pound to more of a passing offense, etc.), and I think most Jets fans agree that Rex is very loyal to his guys, and I think Pace and Thomas were two of Rex's guys, so there could be some validity to what those other fans suggest.  It may have taken him a few years to realize that his blitzes weren't working any more and that he needed to do something else to generate a pass rush.  That said, initially, Rex didn't use his DEs the way the Texans or most other 3-4 D DCs do to rush the QB.  Instead, he had them watching first and foremost for the run.  With the drafting of Wilkerson and the way he's being used more and more to rush the QB, and with the continual additions to the DL, it at least seems like Rex is now trying to pressure opposing QBs with the DL and his DEs rather than with his OLBs.  Again, I think it may have to do more with Rex trying to be creative and generate a pass rush through some other means because the team still has not added a genuine pass rusher other than Barnes.  Barnes was used to great effect and like a traditional 3-4 pass rushing OLB .

So in other words, I was only criticizing Rex IF he's just trying to be different for difference' sake, and playing "mad scientist" just to see if he can win without a topnotch OLB.  If he's just playing with the cards that are dealt to him, then I can't and don't fault him.

Was it Aboushi or the other kid (the converted DT) that was a tackle prospect? I thought Aboushi was a G prospect.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong. 

Campbell is the former DT who is now the G prospect.  I think they're hoping that Aboushi will develop into their backup swing Tackle, but he could wind up at G or out of the NFL.

Campbell is the former DT who is now the G prospect.  I think they're hoping that Aboushi will develop into their backup swing Tackle, but he could wind up at G or out of the NFL.

OK.  I couldn't remember.

And maybe Aboushi will develop.  Hasn't looked too good so far, though.  If Campbell makes a successful transition I won't care.  Would be nice to have gotten 2 of the 3 to pan out instead of maybe 1.  Then again, from rounds 3-6 there's probably (overall) about a 1 in 3 chance of getting a long-term starter, so that would put us about on par.  If none pan out long-term then it's awful.  2 out of 3 is great, and 3 of 3 is really just amazing.

Of course, there are starters and there are starters.  We also got 3 out of 3 picks turn into starters in 2009.  The best pick of the bunch - particularly in terms of value - ended up being Slauson.

I agree, but my only problem with this was this past draft was considered a GREAT draft for safeties and very deep, the best one in years, and Idzik totally ignored the position.  IMO this was not the year to ignore the S position in the draft.  IMO good GM draft to the strength of the draft, and it concerns me a little that he didn't add a S via the draft.  I think he could have even used a 6th or 7th round pick again this year on a safety and the player he took would be better than either Allen or Bush.

OK.  I couldn't remember.

And maybe Aboushi will develop.  Hasn't looked too good so far, though.  If Campbell makes a successful transition I won't care.  Would be nice to have gotten 2 of the 3 to pan out instead of maybe 1.  Then again, from rounds 3-6 there's probably (overall) about a 1 in 3 chance of getting a long-term starter, so that would put us about on par.  If none pan out long-term then it's awful.  2 out of 3 is great, and 3 of 3 is really just amazing.

Of course, there are starters and there are starters.  We also got 3 out of 3 picks turn into starters in 2009.  The best pick of the bunch - particularly in terms of value - ended up being Slauson.

Yeah.  I agree that Aboushi hasn't looked very promising so far.  I think I remember reading that he needed to get a lot stronger, and that could be the source of many of his struggles.  He's supposedly pretty smart if I recall, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I think Campbell is probably the better prospect, at least in terms of natural body size, strength and athleticism.  I think he played OL in HS and maybe his freshman year at Michigan.  My concern with him is perhaps lack of intelligence and/or work ethic/drive.  He was considered a great prospect coming out of HS and did absolutely nothing in college.

I have pretty high hopes for Winters.  I don't follow college football that closely any more, but remember reading in the draft reports and articles following the draft that he's smart, strong, tough, and plays with a mean streak.  That's seemingly everything that you want in an OG.  The fact that he played LT in college and played it pretty well speaks pretty highly of him.  I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't work out.

I think if Winters develops into a solid starting OG (average or above) and Campbell develops into a quality backup G that Idzik will have done a very good job and I'll be happy.  Of course, it would be better if Campbell develops into a quality starter too, as does Aboushi, but I think that would be more than a bit unrealistic and too hopeful.

I agree, but my only problem with this was this past draft was considered a GREAT draft for safeties and very deep, the best one in years, and Idzik totally ignored the position.  IMO this was not the year to ignore the S position in the draft.  IMO good GM draft to the strength of the draft, and it concerns me a little that he didn't add a S via the draft.  I think he could have even used a 6th or 7th round pick again this year on a safety and the player he took would be better than either Allen or Bush.

It was also considered GREAT for offensive linemen.

The Jets had too many positions of need to avoid "ignoring" multiple ones no matter what.

Overthecap.com

Revis = $13M dead cap space

Cromartie = $6.5M

Wilson = $2M

Milliner = $2.3M

$24M on this year's cap for these 4.  Draft-wise, we got a #1 for Revis but gave it back for Milliner.  Wilson also cost a #1 and Cromartie a #2.

Two #1s and a #2 and $24M in cap space and our CBs are garbage.  If someone thinks it's defensive scheme they haven't been watching Jets games this year IMO.  There is no defensive scheme that will get top-notch production in 2013 from this investment. And this doesn't even include we're using two stop-gap guys at safety. 

Bingo.  IMO that is just insane.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money invested in that position.  If they're going to invest that kind of change in the CB position, both starters better be perennial All-Pros.  I wouldn't mind that kind of money invested in the QB, WR, or OLB positions if the players were of suitable quality, but I think that amount at CB is absurd.  That figure needs to be cut by at least a third, if not a half.

Yeah.  I agree that Aboushi hasn't looked very promising so far.  I think I remember reading that he needed to get a lot stronger, and that could be the source of many of his struggles.  He's supposedly pretty smart if I recall, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I think Campbell is probably the better prospect, at least in terms of natural body size, strength and athleticism.  I think he played OL in HS and maybe his freshman year at Michigan.  My concern with him is perhaps lack of intelligence and/or work ethic/drive.  He was considered a great prospect coming out of HS and did absolutely nothing in college.

I have pretty high hopes for Winters.  I don't follow college football that closely any more, but remember reading in the draft reports and articles following the draft that he's smart, strong, tough, and plays with a mean streak.  That's seemingly everything that you want in an OG.  The fact that he played LT in college and played it pretty well speaks pretty highly of him.  I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't work out.

I think if Winters develops into a solid starting OG (average or above) and Campbell develops into a quality backup G that Idzik will have done a very good job and I'll be happy.  Of course, it would be better if Campbell develops into a quality starter too, as does Aboushi, but I think that would be more than a bit unrealistic and too hopeful.

I would expect Campbell to take longer.  The hope is that we've found another Brandon Moore.

It was also considered GREAT for offensive linemen.

The Jets had too many positions of need to avoid "ignoring" multiple ones no matter what.

Yes it was a great draft for OL.  I liked the draft, but would have been happier if he had drafted Winters and then a S rather than Aboushi.  They still could have drafted Campbell and brought in some UDFAs.  But as you said, there were so many holes/needs, and his hands were so tied in FA, that I can't complain too much.

I would expect Campbell to take longer.  The hope is that we've found another Brandon Moore.

Definitely on both accounts.  I had forgotten this, but was reminded not long ago that it took Moore 2-3 years to develop.  He played a year or two in NFL Europe.  I hope that Campbell can develop without playing regularly since NFL Europe is no more.

Yes it was a great draft for OL.  I liked the draft, but would have been happier if he had drafted Winters and then a S rather than Aboushi.  They still could have drafted Campbell and brought in some UDFAs.  But as you said, there were so many holes/needs, and his hands were so tied in FA, that I can't complain too much.

Sure you can :)

Was it Aboushi or the other kid (the converted DT) that was a tackle prospect? I thought Aboushi was a G prospect.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong. 

Aboushi played LT at Virginia and seemed like a RT prospect, though some thought he'd be better at G.  Winters was also a LT (Kent St) but projected to be a G in the NFL.  Some liked him as a RT prospect too.  I think in the preseason Winters played G and Aboushi T. I remember talk about versatility with both. Campbell, the Michigan DT projected to G all along.  FWIW, the roster lists Aboushi as an "OL" and the other two as "G".

Aboushi played LT at Virginia and seemed like a RT prospect, though some thought he'd be better at G.  Winters was also a LT (Kent St) but projected to be a G in the NFL.  Some liked him as a RT prospect too.  I think in the preseason Winters played G and Aboushi T. I remember talk about versatility with both. Campbell, the Michigan DT projected to G all along.  FWIW, the roster lists Aboushi as an "OL" and the other two as "G".

I had already been set straight.  

First of all, I didn't say or even think I had magically solved anything.  It's the designer of the 3-4 D (whoever that was) that came up with the magic. All I was doing was pointing out the way the system is designed and supposed to work.  

Second, I guess I wasn't very clear and didn't go far enough in my comments.  Please notice in my earlier post that I said "Supposedly" and "according to some Jets fans."  I didn't say that I agree with those fans, and for the most part, I don't.  It's quite possible that Tanny was just guy shy about drafting another OLB after missing so badly on Ghoulston (spelling in honor of Halloween and his frightfully bad play) even though Rex kept telling him that he needed a younger, faster playmaker at OLB.  

It was rumored that Rex really wanted Brooks Reed  a couple of years ago.  If true, that would prove that what some Jets fans are saying isn't true. Personally, I don't believe that Rex is that arrogant.  While I think he is creative and does value the CB position more than perhaps most 3-4 D DCs, I think he's had to be creative with his blitzes and figure out ways to try to generate a pass rush and stop the run on D without one of the key pieces.  Since Pace and Thomas were good against the run, I think he just may have decided to not make waves and do the best he could with the players he had on hand.  

OTOH, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Rex may think he's smarter than he actually is.  He had a lot of success with his blitzes in 2009, but then less so in 2010, and progressively less since.  He's been slow to learn and adapt in other ways (holding players accountable, moving on from Ground & Pound to more of a passing offense, etc.), and I think most Jets fans agree that Rex is very loyal to his guys, and I think Pace and Thomas were two of Rex's guys, so there could be some validity to what those other fans suggest.  It may have taken him a few years to realize that his blitzes weren't working any more and that he needed to do something else to generate a pass rush.  That said, initially, Rex didn't use his DEs the way the Texans or most other 3-4 D DCs do to rush the QB.  Instead, he had them watching first and foremost for the run.  With the drafting of Wilkerson and the way he's being used more and more to rush the QB, and with the continual additions to the DL, it at least seems like Rex is now trying to pressure opposing QBs with the DL and his DEs rather than with his OLBs.  Again, I think it may have to do more with Rex trying to be creative and generate a pass rush through some other means because the team still has not added a genuine pass rusher other than Barnes.  Barnes was used to great effect and like a traditional 3-4 pass rushing OLB .

So in other words, I was only criticizing Rex IF he's just trying to be different for difference' sake, and playing "mad scientist" just to see if he can win without a topnotch OLB.  If he's just playing with the cards that are dealt to him, then I can't and don't fault him.

I'm sure Rex would like a good pass rusher, but acting like this 3-4 is the same as what Parcells ran is silly.  They are apples and oranges.  This is not a (cue 2001 soundtrack) "3-4" the way Mangini played it. 

Archived