Ivory Trade Comes Back to Haunt Saints

flgreen

Estwick: Chris Ivory trade comes back to haunt Saints

Published: November 3, 2013 Updated 2 hours ago

FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusRedditE-mailPrint

The Saints traded the wrong running back -- sorry Chris Ivory.

That was obvious after Sunday's 26-20 loss to the New York Jets. Ivory knows it, no matter how much earlier this week Ivory played down the impact of facing his former team.

Ivory ended his first game against the Saints with 18 carries for 139 yards and one touchdown, including a second-quarter run of 52 yards in which he victimized Saints defenders like they watched him do to others during the last four seasons.

Former Saints linebacker Scott Shanle via Twitter: "Said it before and will say it again... why did (S)aints trade Chris Ivory again!? #beast"

For all Ivory's former fumbles and nagging injuries, he was worth a roster spot. For when he was healthy, when he was able to perform, he ran with a power described by others as if he was angry.

Like when Bobby Boucher (The Waterboy, circa 1998) saw his mom, or a bully on the face of his opponents before running over and threw them.

Meanwhile, Saints running back Pierre Thomas carried six times Sunday for 24 yards. (Thomas also caught seven passes for 66 yards, including a fourth-down conversion with less than five minutes left.)

Darren Sproles (one catch, two yards) left early in the first with a concussion.

Let's not forget about Mark Ingram, who was in the backfield on fourth-and-inches with 7:54 left. Instead of powering forward for a first down, the Saints went cute, attempting a reverse with third-string tight end Josh Hill. Outside linebacker Quinton Coples saw it coming, stopping the play for a loss of eight.

Ingram's final tally: four carries, 19 yards.

This point would have stood even if the Saints had not lost their second game in their last three contests. Even if fullback Jed Collins caught that third-down pass in the flat. Or Nick Toon had not saved the worst performance of his brief NFL career for his dad's (Al Toon) former NFL team. Or Brees didn't get unlucky with two interceptions that weren't his fault. Or Brees didn't throw several passes behind his receivers, part of a ho-hum day for the offense at MetLife Stadium.

Once again, we discover that Brees, despite being a future Hall of Famers, can't do it alone every week -- especially if Jimmy Graham isn't fully healthy. Brees needs a running back that can balance the attack, stop defenders from chasing so hard on every down, knowing the Saints are in passing mode.

The Saints need a running back. One that can handle the short-yardage carries. Break big ones. Ignite the offense. The team.

A running back like Ivory.

Yeah, that's right. They had one.

Gary Estwick, a correspondent covering the Saints for the Sun Herald, can be reached at gestwick_99com. Find him on Facebook and TwitterEstwickSaints.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2013/11/03/5082919/chris-ivory-trade-comes-back-to.html#storylink=cpy

Best thing that I've learned about Ivory in the last couple of days, his nickname is The Kracken. That in and of itself is pure awesome. 

Losing Sproles probably had the biggest effect on that game, but it must be so tough for Brees to lose guys like him and Colston and only have Lance Moore and the best/2nd best TE in football to throw to. 

One step closer to not having any more threads about what a waste it was picking him up and how Powell is d'man. If all goes well, starting next season the way Idzik (and some folks here) envisioned starting this season with Powell, Ivory, and Goodson is reason for some real good feelings about the Jets ability to establish a running game.

I'll eat my crow.  That was a very impressive game yesterday from a player I thought nothing of at all.

If thats the guy we get to see the rest of the way, then we're in for a treat.  He was running possessed.  Can we brainwash him into thinking he plays the Saints each week?

Ivory and Powell are a great compliment to each other, assuming that wasnt a fluke game.  

I'll eat my crow.  That was a very impressive game yesterday from a player I thought nothing of at all.

If thats the guy we get to see the rest of the way, then we're in for a treat.  He was running possessed.  Can we brainwash him into thinking he plays the Saints each week?

Ivory and Powell are a great compliment to each other, assuming that wasnt a fluke game.  

I wouldn't get too excited.  I like Ivory a whole lot, but I don't think the Saints run D is that good.  Ivory isn't going to run any harder.  That's never been his problem.  He runs with reckless disregard like he is trying to kill somebody. I heard the comparison here of Marion Barber.  I think it's a good one.  The only thing that has seemed questionable with the Jets is how he hits the hole.  He tends to dance while he decides.  If the hole is there he blasts through like yesterday.  Either the gaps were bigger (they did seem pretty obvious) or he is getting more comfortable as he gets healthy and carries. 

One step closer to not having any more threads about what a waste it was picking him up and how Powell is d'man. If all goes well, starting next season the way Idzik (and some folks here) envisioned starting this season with Powell, Ivory, and Goodson is reason for some real good feelings about the Jets ability to establish a running game.

NJ I know you see how Ivory Runs hes a beast but that usually leads to a breakdown of the human body :) . Hes the kind of guy that if he gets injured you want him back healthy for the stretch run so he can batter teams the last 5 weeks of the season and hopefully carry that into the playoffs. Kind of like SG did for us as a rookie before his body totally started to break down. You simply can't keep up that style of running its not possible IMO. I think the KEY to his success is the Jets have finally started to run their backs to the outside instead of running them directly between the tackles every damn time. You know DB's and Safeties don't want to see that bulldozer running at them

I wouldn't get too excited.  I like Ivory a whole lot, but I don't think the Saints run D is that good.  Ivory isn't going to run any harder.  That's never been his problem.  He runs with reckless disregard like he is trying to kill somebody. I heard the comparison here of Marion Barber.  I think it's a good one.  The only thing that has seemed questionable with the Jets is how he hits the hole.  He tends to dance while he decides.  If the hole is there he blasts through like yesterday.  Either the gaps were bigger (they did seem pretty obvious) or he is getting more comfortable as he gets healthy and carries. 

True.  And this has been my take thus far as well.  I've been saying all along, he looks like a get what the line gives you type back.  However, yesterday was much different.  He was patient, he bounced a couple outside, he had a couple of little side step type jukes, set up blocks well, etc.  Definitely his most complete game.  I've been harsh about him, I can man up and give him props for a great game. 

Pretty sure they were last in years per carry allowed, so a lot of it should be taken with some context, agreed. However, it certainly is nice to see someone who can get more than just what's there and have the threat of taking one to the house.  That strikes me as a game that green would have had 80ish yards on 18 carries and be touted for getting over 4 yards per. 

NJ I know you see how Ivory Runs hes a beast but that usually leads to a breakdown of the human body :) . Hes the kind of guy that if he gets injured you want him back healthy for the stretch run so he can batter teams the last 5 weeks of the season and hopefully carry that into the playoffs. Kind of like SG did for us as a rookie before his body totally started to break down. You simply can't keep up that style of running its not possible IMO. I think the KEY to his success is the Jets have finally started to run their backs to the outside instead of running them directly between the tackles every damn time. You know DB's and Safeties don't want to see that bulldozer running at them

No doubt he can't continue to satisfy his apparent love to crack people in his way and stay on the field all the time.

I liked the guy a lot since I picked him up as a fantasy team sleeper a year or two ago and then started watching and following whenever I could.

I just think he's got incredible instinct and acceleration and if he can stay healthy a reasonable amount of time he's a perfect compliment to a bell cow Powell and Goodwin

Archived