McGwire implicated on Steroid Use

Mavrik

five days before the House Government Reform Committee is scheduled to question current and former major-league baseball players about steroids, one of the subpoened players, Mark McGwire, has emerged as a prominent figure of a month-long investigation by the New York Daily News.

Mark McGwire has declined an invitation to appear at the government hearing on steroids scheduled for March 17.

Citing FBI sources, the newspaper reported that McGwire's name came up several times in a landmark anabolic steroids investigation that led to 70 convictions in the early 1990s.

While evidence against McGwire was never collected and he was not a target in the investigation, two steroid dealers caught in the probe told the Daily News that another dealer provided McGwire and Jose Canseco, among others, with illegal anabolic steroids.

The Daily News said an informant told the paper that a California man named Curtis Wenzlaff injected McGwire on several occassions at a gym in Southern California. A former member of the gym where McGwire and Wenzlaff allegedly worked out together told the paper that he heard the two discuss steroids.

According to one of the informants, who the FBI said provided credible information throughout its probe, McGwire's regimen reportedly included injecting himself in the buttocks once every three days with two testosterone substances and weekly with another.

When contacted by the Daily News, Wenzlaff had no comment about the McGwire accounts but admitted turning Canseco from a novice into an expert steroid user.

According to the paper, representatives for McGwire and Canseco said the two did not remember meeting Wenzlaff and were not aware their names came up in the investigation.

"We're not going to comment on anything at this time but we believe one should consider the sources of such allegations," McGwire's representative said.

"Jose doesn't want to deny knowing him, but he just doesn't remember the guy," Canseco's attorney said.

McGwire has always denied using steroids, including as recently as last month, when Canseco's book was published.

Wenzlaff was introduced to the A's by longtime friend Reggie Jackson, who Wenzlaff insists never used steroids or knew that Wenzlaff was dealing them.

from espn.com

He what?????

No...next thing you are going to tell me is Bonds is juicing :shock:

I'd be real supprised if Barry would do anything like that. I mean, after all his Godfather is Willie Mays. But after they're done proving McGwire was filthy with illegal steriods - they better give the #2 season HR crown to it's rightful owner by default-my main man Samola Sosa. Sammy said he dint dunuh druks. And he wouldn't lie for love nor money. It isn't in his make up.

Is there anyone alive that thinks McGwire didn't juice. I mean seriously what are the odds that he was clean? No line on that one.
He admitted to Andro which is the pro-drug of steroids. It gets metabolized to the active component once inside your body. There's no difference except that it was legal at the time. Still cheating just as much.

He admitted to Andro which is the pro-drug of steroids. It gets metabolized to the active component once inside your body. There's no difference except that it was legal at the time. Still cheating just as much.

T-Mac...

People are now saying the Andro thing may have been a smoke screen. Hey put that in his locker knowing it would be seen. To take some of the steroid pressue off.

Not sure if it has any merit, but it is an interesting theory!

T-Mac...

People are now saying the Andro thing may have been a smoke screen. Hey put that in his locker knowing it would be seen. To take some of the steroid pressue off.

yeah, but I dont really remember steroids or performance enhancing drugs ever being an issue during the 98 season until they discovered the andro in his locker. I don't think he would go out of his way to bring that kind of scrutiny on himself.

Well, now Jeremy Giambi admitted to roids. Not like it helped him out at all.

:roll:

Baseball needed the great HR race of 98 to get it's fanbase back.

Plenty of people knew both Mark and Sammy were juiced. The Android smoke screen was exactly that, a way for the public to think he was simply using what was a legal supplement at the time.

There was no way MLB was going to taint the chase for Maris record while it was going on.

I'd be real supprised if Barry would do anything like that. I mean, after all his Godfather is Willie Mays. But after they're done proving McGwire was filthy with illegal steriods - they better give the #2 season HR crown to it's rightful owner by default-my main man Samola Sosa. Sammy said he dint dunuh druks. And he wouldn't lie for love nor money. It isn't in his make up.

Anyone who belives McGwire and Bonds were on steroids is buying into this media propaganda, its a damn shame the media is ruining sports over a silly little issue like this :wink:

Archived