Flacco slams the wildcat

faba

SPN.com news services

If there were any doubts that Joe Flacco isn't a fan of the Baltimore Ravens experimenting with the Wildcat offense, there won't be after Tuesday.

The Ravens quarterback lined up outside for a few plays in Sunday's 19-3 victory over theNew York Jets. Backup quarterback Tyrod Taylor was in Flacco's traditional spot when Baltimore ran the Wildcat.

[+] Enlarge
AP Phoo/Patrick SemanskyJoe Flacco made it clear Tuesday he wants to drop back as a passer for the Ravens and not line up outside in a Wildcat look.

Flacco, the Super Bowl MVP who signed a six-year, $120.6 million contract last offseason, said after Sunday's game that lining up outside as a receiver was "fun for a little bit, but that's it," and that, "I want to line up behind center."

On Tuesday, he was much stronger in his opposition of the Wildcat look for the Ravens.

"I don't like that stuff. I think it makes you look like a high school offense.That's my opinion," Flacco said.

Asked if he had told coaches of his opposition to the formation, he said Tuesday: "They know how I feel about it."

He said Tuesday that he doesn't expect the Ravens (5-6) to use the Wildcat again this season. Although he objects to the formation, he said he didn't look at the Ravens' use of it Sunday as a slap in the face but instead that it makes the Ravens' offense weaker on the whole as it takes away from its preparation.

"It is what it is," Flacco said. "I want as many chances as I can get. I just don't like that stuff in general. We're not going to be good if we can't get good at the basics of what we do 90 percent of the time. We have to get good at those things or we're not going to be good no matter what we do."

There is something with "Rex" and the wildcat. It has been run with every OC that he has worked with. 

There must be some inner circle in football that knows that Rex is somewhat enamored with  in a strange sense from both having to defend it and using it as a weapon.

He loves those players that maybe can give him a wildcat look. It is almost like his third fetish after feet and Sanchez.

There is something with "Rex" and the wildcat. It has been run with every OC that he has worked with. 

There must be some inner circle in football that knows that Rex is somewhat enamored with  in a strange sense from both having to defend it and using it as a weapon.

He loves those players that maybe can give him a wildcat look. It is almost like his third fetish after feet and Sanchez.

Why are you putting Rex is quotes? Are you implying that Rex, is not really "Rex"?

Also, the mystery behind Rex's affection for the wildcat is simply this... he comes from a family that hates QBs. The wildcat gives him a Ryan's family dream... a QB that does not and should not throw the football.

Why are you putting Rex is quotes? Are you implying that Rex, is not really "Rex"?

Also, the mystery behind Rex's affection for the wildcat is simply this... he comes from a family that hates QBs. The wildcat gives him a Ryan's family dream... a QB that does not and should not throw the football.

You would hate QBs too if you were picking between Sanchez, Geno Smith and Matt Simms.  That is why they use the wild cat.

Archived