Ravens-Steelers: Why Wasn't Extra Point Try "Faceguarding"?

kelticwizard

When the Steelers went for the tying extra point the ball came into the receiver and the defensive back was running at the receiver with his back to the QB.  That used to be called "faceguarding", now they just call it pass interference.  The defensive back has to get his head around and look at the ball to pretend he's going for the ball, not going for the man.  Then he can contact the receiver under the guise of "going for the ball".

Why wasn't pass interference called on the Ravens?

I'd have to see the replay again, but I don't think he made contact with the WR simultaneously with the ball, face guarding only applies when a defender makes a legal play for the ball IF he had his head turned, but because his head isn't turned he has no legal right to make a play on the ball, and in turn PI is called, but if you face guard without making contact with the WR either well after the WR attempted to catch the ball, or no contact with the WR then there is no penalty to call.

When it happened I thought for sure that PI was going to be called but I don't think enough contact made to justify that. IMO, I think the more controversial moment was Tomlin basically on the field during that one kick return by Jones. He was facing away from the play and was acting like he didn't see Jones coming but there was no reason that he should have been that close anyway. He definitely diverted Jones' path and the one defender caught up. They played a replay with him smirking and sh*t, quite laughable.

I'd have to see the replay again, but I don't think he made contact with the WR simultaneously with the ball, face guarding only applies when a defender makes a legal play for the ball IF he had his head turned, but because his head isn't turned he has no legal right to make a play on the ball, and in turn PI is called, but if you face guard without making contact with the WR either well after the WR attempted to catch the ball, or no contact with the WR then there is no penalty to call.

It changes every week.

Archived