PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A breakdown of the New York Jets' salary cap, position by position on defense:

Cornerback

Total cap charge: $20.8 million

Percentage of total cap: 16.0

Players under contract: 6

Highest cap charge: Antonio Cromartie, $14.98 million

Our take: The Jets won't have Cromartie at that number. He'll either take a pay cut or get cut, perhaps re-signing later at a lower number. ... Imagine what the overall number would look like if Darrelle Revis were still on the roster.

Linebacker

Total cap charge: $12.16 million

Percentage of total cap: 9.4

Highest cap charge: David Harris, $7.0 million

Our take: Only three starters are under contract, which means the total will grow when they re-sign Calvin Pace or a veteran replacement. ... The front office finally got this position under control after years of bloated cap numbers.

Defensive line:

Total cap charge: $7.41

Percentage of total cap: 5.7

Players under contract: 7

Highest cap charge: Sheldon Richardson, $2.29 million

Our take: They're all young pups, but one of these days -- 2015 or 2016 -- this will be the high-rent district on the team. Maybe it will start this year if Muhammad Wilkerson gets a long-term extension.

Safety:

Total cap charge: $3.56 million

Percentage of total cap: 2.7

Highest cap charge: Dawan Landry, $1.83 million

Our take: Welcome to the discount aisle. The Jets take the thrifty approach when it comes to building the safety position.

Yeah as the thrifty approach to the safety would be the best route to go!

Rex doesn't seem to care about the safety, why I couldn't tell you. You'd think a guy who coached with Ed Reed in his prime would know how valuable it is and hes in a division where before Hernandez went 187 on a homie killed us with multiple TE's.

Rex doesn't seem to care about the safety, why I couldn't tell you. You'd think a guy who coached with Ed Reed in his prime would know how valuable it is and hes in a division where before Hernandez went 187 on a homie killed us with multiple TE's.

Especially when the hybrid TE/huge WR is one of the most sought after offensive players. And multiples of per offense.

The last line of defense is important in any team sport. Hockey teams with a great goalie can over come mediocre defensive play, a great center in basketball clogs up the lane, intimidates and alters shots. An elite safety puts a knot in a QB's stomach (Polamalu, Reed, Thomas). QB's hesitate and take that extra second, are less confident that they can get the ball to his WR before the S gets to the ball. Considering how many times we've been burned deep, I would think S would be a priority.

Especially when the hybrid TE/huge WR is one of the most sought after offensive players. And multiples of per offense.

I completely agree with this.   Not a big fan of b/r, but since they validate my opinion by ranking S as the 5th most important position in the NFL...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659834-power-ranking-the-importance-of-each-position-in-todays-nfl

Archived