I just watched Midget Manzeil on Gruden Football camp

joewillie78

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand why any GM woukd pick him early .. even if he can play his game in the pros with success (a considerable if) he will 100% blow out his knee and never be the same at some point

Interesting so I went back 30 years to see how it really looks because I feel the same but didn't trust my memory.

Flutie

Testeverde

Andre Ware

Detmer

Toretta

Ward

Wuerffel

Weinke

Crouch

Palmer

Jason White (Who?)

Leinart

Troy Smith

Tebow

Bradford

Newton

RG III

God that is a horrible list.

Testeverde, Palmer and Newton (maybe Bradford and RG III but it's early) are the only guys out of those 17 that have made any mark on the NFL.  If you want to count Tebow and his one (entertaining) playoff win, go ahead.  But it's safe to say the Heisman is not a strong predictor of QB greatness in the NFL.

Exactly. IO have said that for years with respect to the QB position.   In fact you have to go all the way back to Jim Plunkett to find Heisman winning QB that has also won a superbowl.  I think Plunkett won the Heisman in 1970...

Exactly. IO have said that for years with respect to the QB position.   In fact you have to go all the way back to Jim Plunkett to find Heisman winning QB that has also won a superbowl.  I think Plunkett won the Heisman in 1970...

Staubach? What year was his Heisman? Found out 1963. So him and Plunkett only 2 to win Heisman and SB.  Manziel will be 3rd.

You really can't go back to far because years ago, RBs won the heisman more often than not.  Guys like Dorsett, Walker, Allen, Campbell, Bo Jackson, Sims, Rogers, etc were beasts back then and many of them went on to great NFL Careers.    But the RB has lost a lot of the luster and it's pretty much always a QB these days,  I don't really know what you can take from it.    

QBs get all the attention and highlights.  It's become a passing oriented league where QBs are king.   Look at two of the better teams in the NFL (Seattle & SF) and their QBs get a ton of attention, even though these guys were never highly rated coming into the NFL.    And they sure benefit being on great all around teams compared to guys like Manning, Brady & Rodgers.      

It's become far more about marketing than football though. It always was in a way, but not guys like Johnny & RG3 and Winston get thrown into the mix out of nowhere and win Heisman's.  That either shows you that there just aren't that many good QBs in college anymore when freshman win back to back heisman's or it shows you that these kids have the right PR people and their teams have the right PR teams.    I remember years ago Joey Harrington had billboards put up about him being a heisman canidate in NY and he played out in Oregon.   It was kind of a big thing back then, but now, that's kind of the norm.     

So there are going to be far more busts these days because of the media and attention.  24/7 attention for guys who might be good, but they really aren't great, but QBs seem to suck anymore, and fans and the media become like lemmings and attach themselves to the popular guy and run with it.   Hell, look at Tebow.  The guy pretty much was a bust in the NFL and is out of the sport a few seasons later and people still talk about him.   25 years ago, nobody would give a crap and he'd disappear.  But we live in a different era where somebody will go viral for whatever reason and then fanboys and fangirls will worship them forever. Or hate them forever.  ANd most of the time it's for no reason at all except everybody else is doing it. And it sure doesn't help that journalism and the media have become nothing more than fanboy/fangirl beat writers who don't have much talent.

Archived