You notice, all the good teams have done nothing?

eboozer

Idzik struck out on last year's 2nd, 3rd, 5th 6th 7th round picks.  YIKES.  I wonder how much of a hand he really had in the Seahawks really forming that team.  

You judge a draft class after 1 season? I can't even take you seriously anymore. Not that I did before.

Winters graded out significantly better towards the last quarter of the season compared to the first 12 games, same goes for Geno.  That in and of itself gives you reason to believe that they can improve even moreso than they already did. 

Winters was like the lowest rated guard in the NFL. 

I get you're pretty quick to write the book on players, but judging a draft class after only one year simply doesn't make sense.  You need to usually wait at least three years to see how they get better: and yes, rookies do get better.   

Yea right ....the 2,3,5,6,7 picks had no impact. Winters was pushed around like a 3rd grader in the 8th grade.  Aboushi didn't even play. Is Campbell even on the team? Bohannon sucks.

And of course Eugene who had virtually no impact. In fact Eugene had negative zero impact.   -0

Yes, he started out quite poorly, I fully admit that, however his play trended upwards with his best game coming at the end of the season. That, coupled with his off-season injury that didn't let him hit the weight room is reason enough to think he will continue to get better. Matt Slauson was brutal from the beginning and turned into a serviceable guard after a handful of years, not sure why you guys think a rookie's first year is a microcosm of what his entire career will be like. 

Yes, he started out quite poorly, I fully admit that, however his play trended upwards with his best game coming at the end of the season. That, coupled with his off-season injury that didn't let him hit the weight room is reason enough to think he will continue to get better. Matt Slauson was brutal from the beginning and turned into a serviceable guard after a handful of years, not sure why you guys think a rookie's first year is a microcosm of what his entire career will be like. 

Yes. because lets read into games against terrible teams in collapse mode at the end of the season to judge players. 

Yea right ....the 2,3,5,6,7 picks had no impact. Winters was pushed around like a 3rd grader in the 8th grade.  Aboushi didn't even play. Is Campbell even on the team? Bohannon sucks.

And of course Eugene who had virtually no impact. In fact Eugene had negative zero impact.   -0

No, you're totally right. No rookie who's ever played in the NFL has ever improved upon from his first year in the league.  Everyone who turned out to be a great player, was amazing from the beginning.  Not sure why I even argued, clearly Teh Oswald has spoken.  

Yes. because lets read into games against terrible teams in collapse mode at the end of the season to judge players. 

The dolphins may be a poor team, but they were fighting for the playoffs and had an adequate front 7. Winters played better whether you want to admit it or not, most likely not because it wouldn't fit your agenda. Your perpetual negativity is just so refreshing around here. Can't believe they let you get away the first time.

hahaha the LOWEST rated guard .....that sounds really comical.  He was pushed around by DT's all year and in the final 3 games, against scrub azz teams, he resurrects his play  and shows 'promise'.

Wow wow wow wow BOW WOW   

ckdnckldire.jpg

No, you're totally right. No rookie who's ever played in the NFL has ever improved upon from his first year in the league.  Everyone who turned out to be a great player, was amazing from the beginning.  Not sure why I even argued, clearly Teh Oswald has spoken.  

Cmon Joe12 stop acting like such a difficult step child.  Idzik's draft in the mid to late rounds was deplorable.  His saving grace was the 4th round trade for Ivory which the Saints probably fleeced from us since he was going to get cut anyways. 

The dolphins may be a poor team, but they were fighting for the playoffs and had an adequate front 7. Winters played better whether you want to admit it or not, most likely not because it wouldn't fit your agenda. Your perpetual negativity is just so refreshing around here. Can't believe they let you get away the first time.

Nothing to be positive about with the inept way this franchise is run.

Cmon Joe12 stop acting like such a difficult step child.  Idzik's draft in the mid to late rounds was deplorable.  His saving grace was the 4th round trade for Ivory which the Saints probably fleeced from us since he was going to get cut anyways. 

I'm difficult because I feel it prudent to wait more than one singular season to judge the impact a player makes on his rookie contract? We've all followed football long enough to know that players improve, even players who look abysmal in their rookie years.  Were you not the same person who advocated bringing in McCown to be our starting QB??  He sucked for 99% of his career, he alone should show you that players can improve. 

Point in case: Everyone was saying Milliner was a bust and a scrub from his first game and myself and Dom said wait, the kid's technique is fine, he's pinching receivers to the sidelines well and was just suffering from missing camp and some mental issues.  He ended up closing out the season pretty damned well.  I fully admit that Winters was brutal, but he did show some signs towards the end of the year that he was getting it. He was a tackle at a mid-major, that takes time to adjust, not just to a new position but from a skill-level standpoint as well.  

Aboushi and Campbell I'm with you, I think they could be pretty big misses. Oday moreso because everyone know Campbell was a project from the get-go. All I'm saying is that judging a draft after one year is like leaving the party at 10, it's just too soon.

The dolphins didn't show up against the Bills or Jets for whatever reason.  And how is a 190 yard passing game considered great?  Geno just didn't suck against the Dolphins, but he wasn't exactly good.   

This line of thinking, that idzik didn't make moves last year cause he had no cap space, invites hope that with lots of cap space, he will make lots of moves. 

This sounds like logic. And it is a tempting line of thought. But it neglects what actually happend last year.

Idzik had a little space.He could have signed 1 good guard. Instead he signed 2 average ones and drafted 3 more mid rounders. He could have signed a real backup QB. Instead he found a guy who hadn't taken a snap since 2010 and was cheap. He could have signed 1 good safety. Instead he signed a bunch of junk. He couldn't have signed all of these good players but he could have signed one. He had room to play a little.

That's not his style. He doesn't solve a problem with a bold expensive move he throws cheap bodies at it. He's a dumpster diver and it doesn't matter if the player is good or bad as long as he is signed at a rate that is below market value somehow. 

heres a prediction Idzik won't ever trade up in the first round Tanny and Bradway style. It just won't happen. 

And with that I can't wait to see the RT competition this fall.  

but let me be clear however this sounds like I am bashing Idzik. I am trying to explain him and predict what he does in the mock draft.

It remains to be seen if this method can work. Basically he's running the Jets like a small market team. Pittsburgh or Green Bay come to mind as draft heavy, non free agency types of organizations. IF you draft smart and sign smart FA it actually could work. Or at least not be as terrible as Tanny's flameouts.

Like most teams they just need to fall ass backward into a franchise QB and they'll be fine. 

THIS GARBAGE you had to edit?  What, to dumb it down even more?  Stronzo.

Idzik struck out on last year's 2nd, 3rd, 5th 6th 7th round picks.  YIKES.  I wonder how much of a hand he really had in the Seahawks really forming that team.  

I would say his 4th round pick (Chris Ivory) was a nice addition, but  nothing to write home about.  Ivory is more or less a backup RB on most teams in the NFL.  Hell, Greene rushed for more yards than Ivory the season before with the same bad offense.      So if you don't go after big names in free agency and depend on the draft to build a team,   having a RB who can't catch passes and rushes for 800 yards isn't exactly going to get you anywhere.   Ivory is a nice addition on a team like the Broncos or Patriots.  AKA they have HOF QBs.   He's just another non weapon on a team like the Jets.

And like I said,  Ivory rushed for 800 yards and was useless in the passing game.    When people complain that the Jets have no weapons on offense,  Ivory is a part of that offense.    He's a nice backup RB and not much else.   It was an ok trade, but at the end of the day,  who thinks 800 yards rushing is a good season.

I'm difficult because I feel it prudent to wait more than one singular season to judge the impact a player makes on his rookie contract? We've all followed football long enough to know that players improve, even players who look abysmal in their rookie years.  Were you not the same person who advocated bringing in McCown to be our starting QB??  He sucked for 99% of his career, he alone should show you that players can improve. 

Point in case: Everyone was saying Milliner was a bust and a scrub from his first game and myself and Dom said wait, the kid's technique is fine, he's pinching receivers to the sidelines well and was just suffering from missing camp and some mental issues.  He ended up closing out the season pretty damned well.  I fully admit that Winters was brutal, but he did show some signs towards the end of the year that he was getting it. He was a tackle at a mid-major, that takes time to adjust, not just to a new position but from a skill-level standpoint as well.  

Aboushi and Campbell I'm with you, I think they could be pretty big misses. Oday moreso because everyone know Campbell was a project from the get-go. All I'm saying is that judging a draft after one year is like leaving the party at 10, it's just too soon.

I am not for waiting for a player to emerge after playing 15 years.  McCown is a late bloomer, seasoned and playing his best football ever. I would take him in a heartbeat over Eugene. Is he my first choice? No. I would prefer Idzik draft a QB and start over but McCown would be a welcome addition to a team desperate for leadership at the QB position.  Of course you wait for a top pick to develop like Milliner.  You give him the benefit of the doubt.  You can say the same about Eugene but IMO it will be the downfall of Idzik if he doesn't make a move and follows Tanny's blueprint with Sanchez. You would hope Idzik learns from his predecessor's mistake. Winters was an absolute waste.  Another Ducasse.  Waiting for him to develop is reasonable but In Eugene's case, it would be death by misadventure.  The QB is the main focus of a team especially ion today's NFL.  Eugene was not ready to play.... obviously. He is no Luck or Griffin.  He would NEVER have seen the field of play last year if Garrad or Sanchez were healthy.  Regardless, these coaches knew what Eugene is capable of during OTA's.  The Jets had no choice but to throw him out there.  But to say he showed promise, is the future, led the team to an 8-8 record blah blah blah is a joke and a bad one at that.  Given time, Eugene will be an excellent clipboard holder as joewillie78 said.  The only way he plays next year is if Idzik's ego is bigger than his brain.  Round 2 round 3 round 4 picks are prime picks. Idzik virtually threw those picks out the window. 

McCown is a late bloomer, seasoned and playing his best football ever. I would take him in a heartbeat over Eugene. Is he my first choice? No. I would prefer Idzik draft a QB and start over but McCown would be a welcome addition to a team desperate for leadership at the QB position. 

Wait till you see McCown throwing to not Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffrey.  McCown is 34 years old and has always sucked outside of a few games last year.  He didn't suddenly learn how to play the QB position.  He had superior weapons.

Archived