Remember last year when we all wanted a Guard in the first round?

Integrity28

A guard in the top ten? A GUARD IN THE TOP TEN?!? Slowly I turned....

It's funny with guards. It has to be all or nothing. Because if he turns into Hutchinson or Faneca it's a great pick. If he turns into Matt Slauson you made a stupid choice, because Slausons can always be found in the mid-late rounds.

A team can easily win a superbowl with a meh guard instead of a great one, and it's not like good/serviceable (or better) guards aren't drafted in the mid and late rounds. Quite routinely at that.

A so-so or typical FA guard isn't going to lose football games for you. A so-so CB, who one may end up with by taking a guard when the CB opportunity was there, absolutely can.

Even if Cooper turns it around it's horrid value for a #9 overall pick. The top guard in free agency doesn't command $12M/year or more. There are literally 3 guards in the entire league who have contracts that average over $8M/year. Only 5 who are at the $7M plateau. It's not a position one needs to break the bank on to lock up someone really good.

The #6 highest-paid guard in the NFL makes $6.75M per. The #15 CB (DRC) got a deal averaging more than that. And neither are the result of phony-baloney final years at some gargantuan salary he'll never see.

A cursory look at the top 20 or so veteran contracts suggests that CBs make upwards of 50% more than similarly-ranked guards. And unlike CBs, a team can't really move the guard around from play to play to go 1-on-1 with the other team's best DT (if so desired).

As said at the time, it's lousy value for a top 10 pick.

I did do that. I liked Cooper alot. He and Mingo were my favorite players. 

Fair enough. I don't recall you having a meltdown after we took Millner or Sheldon instead of a guard though... there were people that did.

Archived