2014-2015 New York Islanders

Big L

I remember freaking out on that call, totally losing all composure.....WE WON THE ******* GAME!!!! Easily the most frustrating call last year.

I actually cried after that game. After that, I knew the season was done.

That goal was "Why Isles' Fans Have A Complex: Exhibit A"

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about the kid other than he is Clark's nephew, but I have to admit that it would be nostalgic to see a Gillies in an Islander jersey on Coliseum ice again.

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday 1h

#Isles have invited LW Colton Gillies, Wild 2007 1st-round pick, to camp on a tryout.

Wait you don't recall him getting his first NHL goal against who else?

I vaguely recall hearing he was over drafted by the Wild....

Snow has had some luck finding players in the "dump".

BTW, anyone know if the preaseason games will be televised?

Yup - the 9/26 game against the Devils will be broadcast on MSG. They will also be streaming 2 games on the Isles website: 9/24 against Carolina and 10/3 against Boston. Hoping I can get the two streamed games -- last year I got a message that I was out of the viewing area.

Yup - the 9/26 game against the Devils will be broadcast on MSG. They will also be streaming 2 games on the Isles website: 9/24 against Carolina and 10/3 against Boston. Hoping I can get the two streamed games -- last year I got a message that I was out of the viewing area.

Just a heads up but the 9/30 game against Boston is on the NHL Network.

I don't know much about the kid other than he is Clark's nephew, but I have to admit that it would be nostalgic to see a Gillies in an Islander jersey on Coliseum ice again.

#Isles have invited LW Colton Gillies, Wild 2007 1st-round pick, to camp on a tryout.

Are you forgetting Trevor?

Just a heads up but the 9/30 game against Boston is on the NHL Network.

Awesome - at least I know I will be able to catch one pre-season game.  With baseball winding down and the Mets having been irrelevant for the last few months (years), I am really looking forward to watching hockey again,

Are you forgetting Trevor?

Yes, I did forget about Trevor.  

Anyone notice that the Isles have a TC line of Lee-Tavares-JHS? Now....I know it means nothing, but it's nice to see JHS being stuck to JTs side. In two years this kid has "sky is the limit" ability. 

It has been around a decade since I've had this much hope for our Isles. We are LOADED at forward, finally decent goaltending, not only the 1A but the 1B and still a work in progress on the blueline.

Anyone care too predict the opening lines......surprise roster guys?

My darkhorse making this team is Churchman(sp).

Anyone notice that the Isles have a TC line of Lee-Tavares-JHS? Now....I know it means nothing, but it's nice to see JHS being stuck to JTs side. In two years this kid has "sky is the limit" ability. 

It has been around a decade since I've had this much hope for our Isles. We are LOADED at forward, finally decent goaltending, not only the 1A but the 1B and still a work in progress on the blueline.

Anyone care too predict the opening lines......surprise roster guys?

My darkhorse making this team is Churchman(sp).

Not sure about any surprises making the roster -- I think they have 17 forwards with NHL experience, so there are likely to be some names that don't make it.  Here is my shot at the lines:

Tavares-Okposo-Nelson

Nielsen-Grabner-Strome

Grabovski-Kulemin-Bailey

Czikas-Martin-Clutter

Defense:

Hamonic - CdH

Viz-Hickey

Reinhart-Strait

I'd like to see Lee on one of those lines. Ditch Bailey, maybe.

I would love to see Lee have a regular role on the team.  I really liked what I saw out of him at the end of last season, but I don't know who he would make it in place of.  I think Bailey gets one more chance to prove he is worthy of the contract they gave him a couple of years ago, and he is still only 24.  Maybe you can slide Lee onto the 4th line for Martin or Clutterbuck.

I also heard yesterday that the Blackhawks need to make a move before regular season starts to get under the cap, and they are shopping Nick Leddy for picks and Isles are interested.  Would love to see the Isles go after him 

I would love to see Lee have a regular role on the team.  I really liked what I saw out of him at the end of last season, but I don't know who he would make it in place of.  I think Bailey gets one more chance to prove he is worthy of the contract they gave him a couple of years ago, and he is still only 24.  Maybe you can slide Lee onto the 4th line for Martin or Clutterbuck.

I also heard yesterday that the Blackhawks need to make a move before regular season starts to get under the cap, and they are shopping Nick Leddy for picks and Isles are interested.  Would love to see the Isles go after him

Maybe shltcan Grabner, put Brock in his place, and put Lee up with JT and Okposo on the lines you listed above.

Monday's Split Squad Games-  from newsday.com-

Jack Capuano warned not to read too much into his line and defense combinations for the three groups assembled for Islanders training camp.

After three days of workouts, Capuano had to reassemble his players for Monday's preseason debut, a split-squad doubleheader against the Ottawa Senators in St. John's, Newfoundland.

But he's still warning against reading too much into what he and his staff have compiled.

"We're going to try some different things," Capuano said after Sunday's workouts at Nassau Coliseum. The two game rosters and staff were set to fly to St. John's Monday morning for games that begin at 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern time (3 p.m. and 7:30 local time).

Josh Bailey, who slogged through a difficult 2013-14, will get first crack at the coveted left wing spot alongside John Tavares and Kyle Okposo in the second game. Ryan Strome, the team's most talented NHL-ready prospect, will center 2014 first-round draft picks Michael Dal Colle and Joshua Ho-Sang in the afternoon opener.

Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin, the Isles' marquee forward signings this past summer, will anchor a second line in the nightcap along with speedy Cory Conacher, a 5-8 forward who also signed this summer.

"We're trying to see where guys are," Capuano said. "Bails, Grabovski, Brock [Nelson] -- a few guys could get a look on Johnny's line. We'll put some combinations together and see what it looks like."

The only Isles regular from last season who won't make the trip to Canada is Matt Martin, who has been a fourth-line mainstay the past four seasons. Martin likely will play Wednesday at the Coliseum against the Hurricanes.

His regular linemates the past two seasons, Casey Cizikas and Colin McDonald, will skate in the afternoon game Monday with different lines.

Down the depth chart at forward, the competition for roles and playing time is fierce.

"I don't feel comfortable right now, and that's a good mind-set to have," said McDonald, who turns 30 next week. "We had a camp last year where it felt like guys pretty much knew what their roles would be. That's gone now, and I think we'll be a better team for it."

New No. 1 goaltender Jaroslav Halak will play in the night game, his first action as an Islander. Capuano has reunited two defensive pairings that could form his top four on the blue line, with Calvin de Haan and Travis Hamonic playing together and Lubomir Visnovsky paired with Thomas Hickey.

"The second game will have more of our vets," Capuano said, "but we've got some guys in the first group who are pushing people for jobs."

Tough pre-season opener last night -- 3 power play goals allowed.  Halak gave up a soft one.  0 for 5 on the power play. Looked a lot like last season.

Still optimistic they will be ready to go for the regular season in a couple of weeks.

Tough pre-season opener last night -- 3 power play goals allowed. Halak gave up a soft one. 0 for 5 on the power play. Looked a lot like last season.

Still optimistic they will be ready to go for the regular season in a couple of weeks.

Eerily similar to last season. Maybe they can at least hold third period leads this year.

Meh, a lot of different line combinations. The Canes have their number.

Thing is will they play Halek and JT Friday?

Saw the score when it was 2-0, and said the same thing. Seems the Canes have their number.

Meh, a lot of different line combinations. The Canes have their number.

Thing is will they play Halek and JT Friday?

According to Arthur Staple (Newsday), JT will be going tonight, but not Halak:

#Isles D/G: Czuczman-Hamonic, Strait-Pulock, Donovan-Brennan. Johnson and Leggio in goal, not sure how they'll split time.

#Isles possible forwards: Lee-Tavares-Okposo, Grabovski-Nelson-Kulemin, Grabner-Sundstrom-Bailey, Boulton-Mouillierat-McDonald.

#Isles D/G: Czuczman-Hamonic, Strait-Pulock, Donovan-Brennan. Johnson and Leggio in goal, not sure how they'll split time.

#Isles possible forwards: Lee-Tavares-Okposo, Grabovski-Nelson-Kulemin, Grabner-Sundstrom-Bailey, Boulton-Mouillierat-McDonald.

What are the chances they end up using Nelson as a center this year?

For the JN posters here that don't know me, I was always pining last season too keep Nelson as a center because I think he has the perfect skills to be a dominant centerman with a great two way game. Not to mention how well he did on face-offs. 

For the JN posters here that don't know me, I was always pining last season too keep Nelson as a center because I think he has the perfect skills to be a dominant centerman with a great two way game. Not to mention how well he did on face-offs. 

Knowing its the Isles, and Cappy does some wacky shlt, I wouldn't be surprised if they put him on wing, or even send him to BPT.  I think Brock played really well the last 20 games last year.  I would love to see him center a line with Lee.

A week ago I would have thought there was no chance of Nelson at center, but since Grabovski has been playing wing, it opens up the spot for Nelson.  I would like to see it.  

Nice to see all of the depth this team has at forward -- will be interesting to see how things shake out during pre-season.

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday 2h

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday 2h

Thanks Lith.

Knowing its the Isles, and Cappy does some wacky shlt, I wouldn't be surprised if they put him on wing, or even send him to BPT.  I think Brock played really well the last 20 games last year.  I would love to see him center a line with Lee.

Simple Jack totally misused Nelson for about the first third/half of the season. Nelson played great on the 1st line.....next game he's in the pressbox.....next game fourth line. He played on every line and every position. Not my idea on how to break a rookie into the NHL.

But when he finally settled in at center IMO he was terrific. I love the first two lines posted.

Lee-JT-Ok

Grabo-Nelson-Kule

Those lines make too much sense, so I'm already resigned that Cappy won't use them when the season starts.  

Archived