2014-2015 New York Islanders

Big L

Cool thing - I got a call from Brock Nelson today.

.....to remind me it's time to sign up my son or daughter for youth hockey.

Anyway, any Isles fans here?  I grew up on the north fork back in the Cup years.  Been a fan ever since.  I was at the Dale head Hunter playoff game when he knocked out Turgeon.

What do you think about the upcoming season?  Upgrade in net.  That alone should get them 10 more points.  Can't wait for the season to start.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at that game too.  Still grinds my gears this many years later.

About this season...  they have to be better.  This string of crap needs to end.  But with the powers that be in charge I have little faith this team can be a playoff contending team on a consistent basis.

No doubt about it - From the Wanger on down to Garf and Clueless Cappy.  Garf has made some baffling moves over the years.  I'm sure every other GM will be very upset once Garf is finally gone.

me! me! since I've started watching, the Isles have won 0 playoff series and have been a huge laughingstock.

I am 26.

I do take pride in the fact that even after 20 years of complete irrelevance, we still have more cups since Hitler invaded Poland than the Rangers do, and we didn't even exist for the first 32 years afterwards.

from newsday.com-

I like the additions, too.  much better than last years offseason.

Frans Nielsen enthused by additions Isles made

Frans Nielsen got married six weeks ago, so he's already had a good summer. The veteran Isles center believes his team had an equally good offseason.

"Yeah, it is," Nielsen said when asked Thursday if this is the most enthusiastic he's ever been heading into a new season. "I really like what we did. With [Mikhail] Grabovski and [Nikolai] Kulemin, I think we're going to be a really tough team to match up against because we'll have so much offensive firepower, so many guys who can step up and do it. I don't know what our roles are going to be, between me and Grabovski, but I think we're really similar players.

"I read a lot and they said they used him wrong when he was in Toronto, but I definitely remember him playing against Johnny [Tavares] a lot. He's really tough to play against. He can do both -- when you need him offensively, when you need him to shut someone down, he's a very effective guy."

The additions of Grabovski and Kulemin on four-year deals worth $20 million and $16.75 million, respectively, could have had a negative impact on Nielsen, who has been the Isles' top defensive center while also being called upon to be a productive No. 2 center behind Tavares.

Nielsen had a career offensive season in 2013-14, with 25 goals and 33 assists, but he believes the defensive side of his game slipped a bit. With Grabovski in the mix at center, the pressure is off for Nielsen to play the two-way game he enjoys.

"I never really thought about it, like I have to go out and produce," Nielsen said after joining a dozen Islanders players for an informal workout at IceWorks in Syosset. "I really have to do the things I did well last year, compete level and skating, like that. I know if I keep that going I'll pick up my points. Trying to remember what I did well last year is important. It's great to know that it's there, so many guys who can step up. Injuries are going to happen, so it's good to know if we're missing Johnny for two games, I can go in there, Grabovski, Nellie [brock Nelson] -- there's depth there."

Nielsen has had Michael Grabner and Josh Bailey as linemates often over the past few seasons, and both of those wings had lengthy goal droughts last season. With the additions of Grabovski and Kulemin, plus some NHL-experienced forwards such as Jack Skille, Cory Conacher and Harry Zolnierczyk in camp, no one should be feeling terribly relaxed heading into the Sept. 19 start of the Isles' training camp.

"I think it's going to be really good, you need that," Nielsen said. "I don't know if everybody's a little too comfortable sometimes with their spot, even during the middle of the season. Now there's going to be guys in Bridgeport too who are just as good as the guys here. If someone doesn't play well I don't think they're going to hesitate to make switches and call up guys. Guys have to bring it every night or else someone will be here to take your place."

No doubt about it - From the Wanger on down to Garf and Clueless Cappy.  Garf has made some baffling moves over the years.  I'm sure every other GM will be very upset once Garf is finally gone.

Good to see you over here, L.  Just joined up today -- gotta make sure I have a place to talk Isles.  Less than two weeks until training camp,

Big Islander Fan here -- been a long long time since I have enjoyed Hockey in May. Have not attended an NHL game in well over 10 years now. Hopefully this year when they visit Chicago I will attend.

From Aurora? -- do you sometimes go down to the  Rebel in Chicago to watch the Jets?

From Aurora? -- do you sometimes go down to the  Rebel in Chicago to watch the Jets?

Yes I have been there a few time with fellow poster NJ -- Fun place to watch the game good food,beer and all but takes a bit of time driving there. Usually watch in the comfort of home but I,m good for at least 2 games a year there.

Good to see you here, Lith!

Lithuania is a big isles fan.

Lithuania? Damn auto spell.

Lith.

Can't wait to get this season started.

This is the best time of year. Football season starts, and a month later, hockey's back.

Lith.

This is the best time of year. Football season starts, and a month later, hockey's back.

Hey BigL I'm over here also, but i'm not sure where I'll end up. I'll give both boards some time or maybe just post on both of them.

Hey BigL I'm over here also, but i'm not sure where I'll end up. I'll give both boards some time or maybe just post on both of them.

Awesome, another big Isles fan!

I'm hanging out here. Scout.com can go suck a dlck.

Lith.

If your name was Lithuania, wouldn't you go by Lith for short.  Or, is that what the Big L stands for? Like Rob, i will probably try out both sites for a while.

If your name was Lithuania, wouldn't you go by Lith for short.  Or, is that what the Big L stands for? Like Rob, i will probably try out both sites for a while.

LOL at you registering as Lith. 

DiPietro is on the radio with Hahn (?).  Allegedly went to the tailgate yesterday to walk around and talk to the fans for the show.  Anybody hear anything about it?  And, when is DP on the air?

DiPietro is on the radio with Hahn (?).  Allegedly went to the tailgate yesterday to walk around and talk to the fans for the show.  Anybody hear anything about it?  And, when is DP on the air?

Didn't hear about the tailgate but the show is on from 7-11/midnight on ESPN NY....or at least for now? I'm not sure what's up with the ESPN schedule. Rothenberg is usually in that slot but he's been on afternoons with Ryan Ruocco since Stephen A. Smith left.

I heard some of the podcasts of Hahn and DiPietro. He's pretty funny, he's got a real sense of humor about everything. I'm glad he's found something he isn't an epic disappointment at.

Mike Bossy joins MSG as studio analyst for 'Hockey Night Live' and Islanders games

From newsday.com-

There is no road map for the upcoming Islanders season, so why not have a familiar face along to help navigate?

"It should be unusual," Mike Bossy said Monday about his new job at MSG as a studio analyst for "Hockey Night Live" and select Islanders games on MSG Plus. "It should be nostalgic, but on the other hand I believe it should be exciting, too. I guess it depends on how you look at it."

Bossy looks at it both ways.

As a member of the front office in sponsorship and fan development, he believes the current team is headed in the right direction and has a chance to return to the playoffs.

As a Hall of Famer and four-time Stanley Cup winner, he understands fans' emotions tied to the end of an era.

"I would have to imagine there will be some sadness for those people who have those great memories of the team to see the team leave," he said. "People ask me all the time: The team is moving, what do you think?

"The memories that I have, they're memories, in the sense that whether the Coliseum is here or not I still have those distinct memories of the Stanley Cups and the players that I played with."

The long looks back are sure to resonate more as the season winds down, but Bossy said "it should be fun."

"You combine the nostalgia with the fact we're hoping the team continues to progress, I think it should be full of surprises this year," he said.

Bossy, who splits his time at home in Montreal and working on Long Island, has extensive TV experience, but until now all of it was in Canada and most of it was in French.

So what will it be like being a regular on MSG's Saturday night hockey show, talking not only about the Islanders but - gasp! - the Rangers?

"Not unless I have to," he joked.

But seriously, he insisted he can discuss the Blueshirts fairly.

"I've always been, I feel, very objective in my comments," he said. "There might be some skirmishes with [former Ranger] Ron Duguay if I have to sit beside him on Saturday nights, but it will all be in fun and hopefully interesting."

Bossy would like nothing more than for the Islanders to improve enough to re-ignite their ancient battles with the Rangers, especially with the move to Brooklyn at hand.

"It was electric every time we went to the Garden or the Rangers came to the Coliseum. I think hockey in New York needs a rivalry like that again," Bossy said. "Not taking away anything from the other sports rivalries, but there was nothing like Islanders-Rangers back in the day. I'm anxious for those days to happen again, and if they do, being able to comment on it would be pretty cool."

At 57, Bossy said he "absolutely" has the aches and pains of an aging hockey player, especially in his knees and shoulders. But he said he had aches and pains when he was 17, too.

"So I really didn't think it was going to be any different," he said. "I thought, to be honest, I would feel worse than I do now."

Bossy expects to continue working with the franchise after the transition to Brooklyn, but the details of his role have not been worked out.

Will the move to Barclays Center work? He said the organization can set the stage off the ice, but the players must do their part by performing on it.

All that is a year in the future, though. For this season, Bossy said there is "no doubt" the appropriate way for the Islanders to say goodbye to the Coliseum would be with a playoff run.

"The best way to end this would be for it to be as exciting as back in the happy days, and there have been some great moments in this building, not necessarily just when I played," he said. "I saw this building two years ago when we played Pittsburgh in the playoffs and how playoff-starved the fans are here and they responded exceptionally well. They'd like nothing better than for this team to get into the playoffs and win a couple of series and hopefully get back where we once were."

Who the hell are you again?

Anyone pick what games they're going to this season yet?

I am probably going to go to the one here at the United Center.  I would love to get back to the Coliseum one last time, while I still have the chance -- gonna try to get back to LI in March/April.

Some new rule changes this year. Amongst them is-

"* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice."

Vanek OT goal ring a bell?

"* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice."

They should just call it the Vanek rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember freaking out on that call, totally losing all composure.....WE WON THE ******* GAME!!!! Easily the most frustrating call last year.

BTW Who is this Crasherino fellow?  :character0069:

Remember our old friend and former owner John Spano.  Back in the news -- indicted on fraud charges.  Some guys never change.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/john-spano-disgraced-former-islanders-owner-indicted-for-theft-forgery-1.9280819

Watched that 30 on 30 episode they had about him. I was in Texas during all of that and never really  followed the in depth storyline. After watching I was just amazed at how the Hell he pulled that off. Bamboozeled everyone and crushed the fanbase.  

From newsday.com-

Islanders' Jack Capuano is looking for players with work ethic

Jack Capuano and his coaching staff have made some changes to the Islanders' style of play, but nothing major. The major changes the Isles need to go from also-rans to contenders will, Capuano said, come from the players themselves, who will need to hit the ice fast when training camp opens on Friday.

"Did we make some changes to our penalty kill? Absolutely. Did we tweak our D-zone coverage? We did," Capuano told Newsday on Monday. "But you can draw up any system you want. If you don't work hard and execute it well, it doesn't matter what you want to play -- it won't work.

"We know what we need to do to be successful. We did it for a large part of our playoff season [2012-13], we did it for the last 20 or so games last season when we were missing a lot of our big guys and had kids who just wanted to work to stay in the lineup. So we can win with our system. We have to have the work ethic to make it successful."

Capuano made one change to his staff, adding Greg Cronin while Brent Thompson, an assistant the past three seasons, returned to be the head coach at Bridgeport. There's been plenty of change behind benches around the NHL -- Capuano is beginning his fifth season with the Islanders, making him the longest-tenured coach in the Metropolitan Division.

And Capuano is relying on the competition among a crowded roster to lift the Islanders out of their perennial first-half doldrums. They have had November swoons the past three full NHL seasons that dropped them from contention early in the season, and Capuano has presided over the last two of those.

"We're going to throw a lot at them the first three days [of camp]," Capuano said. He has divided the camp into three groups and the team has three straight days of workouts before two-thirds of the camp heads to St. John's, Newfoundland, to play split-squad games with the Senators on Monday.

"We have to find out who's going to play the way we need them to play to win us games, period," he said. "I'm sure the guys are well aware of how they need to play and what they need to show us.

"I've talked to a lot of our guys all summer long and they're saying the right things, about how they want to work. Now it's time to show us they mean it."

Archived