Improbable Failure- Systemic?

win4ever

Eric Decker-  31 receptions, 363 yards, 3 TD-  Looks like a good No. 2

Jeremy Kerley- 24 receptions, 226 yards, 1 TD-  Looks like a borderline 3, good 4.

Greg Salas-  8 receptions, 167 yards, 0 TD-  JAG

David Nelson- 8 receptions, 65 yards, 0 TD  - Unemployed

Our top 4 statistical wideouts combined:  71 receptions, 821 yards, 4 TDs,  

This year's draft:   

Sammy Watkins:  38 receptions, 590 yards, 5 TD-  Looks like a stud

Mike Evans:   25 receptions, 336 yards, 2 TD-  So far, looks like a good No. 2

Odell Beckhamm:  10 receptions, 106 yards, 3 TD-  Looks like a stud apart from injury

Brandin Cooks:  40 receptions,372  yards, 2 TD-  Looks like a No. 2.

Kelvin Benjamin:  38 receptions, 571 yards, 5 TD-  Looks like a stud

Marquise Lee:   12 receptions, 128 yards, 0 TD-  Looks like a No. 3 type right now.

Jordan Mathews:  29 receptions, 273 yards, 2 TD- Looks like a No. 2 type guy

Paul Richardson:  7 receptions, 60 yards, 0 TD-  Not sure what to think, too soon, maybe No. 3 type?  

Davante Adams:  24 receptions, 263 yards, 2 TD- Looks like a good No. 2.

Cody Latimer:  No stats whatsoever, doesn't even have a target.  Not sure what to think, possible first bust?   Tough lineup to crack as well. 

Allen Robinson:  39 receptions, 353 yards, 2 TD-  Looks like a good No. 2 with upside

Jarvis Landry:  25 receptions, 255 yards, 1 TD-  Very good 3, possible No. 2.

Josh Huff:  2 receptions, 16 yards, 0 TD-  Looks like a No. 4, possible bust so far.  

Donte Moncrief:  16 receptions, 223 yards, 1 TD-  Looks like a good No. 2 with upside.

John Brown:  22 receptions, 316 yards, 4 TD-  Looks like a good No. 2

Jalen Saunders:  Unemployed, absolute bust. 

Bruce Ellington:  4 receptions, 45 yards, 1 TD-  Looks like a No. 4 type right now

Shaq Evans:  No stats, injured.  

Martavius Bryant:  7 receptions, 123 yards, 3 TD-  Looks like a good No. 2, with upside.  

Kevin Norwood:  3 receptions, 17 yards, 0 TD-  Have no idea, so I'm guessing a No. 4 type.  

Ryan Grant:  5 receptions, 57 yards, 0 TD-  Looks like a No 4 type.  

Devin Street:  2 receptions, 18 yards, 0 TD-  Possible 4, barely seems to play.  

Jarred Abbrederis:  Injured, no stats

Robert Herron:  6 receptions, 58 yards, 1 TD- Good 4, possible No. 3 type.  

TJ Jones:  No stats

Walter Powell:  No stats, dropped by drafted team,  

Quincy Enunwa:  No stats, stuck on the PS.  

Michael Campanaro:  6 receptions, 85 yards, 1 TD-  Good 4, future 3 possibly.  

Jeff Janis:  2 receptions, 16 yards, 0 TD-  Possible 4, tough lineup to crack as well.  

James Wright:  1 reception, 24 yards, 0 TD-  Possible 4,

Tevin Reese:  No stats

Jeremy Gallon:  No stats

Undrafted Allen Hurns:  22 receptions, 354 yards, 3 TD

And what do we learn from this?

1.  Fire the scouting department and development coaches for WR.  In possibly the deepest WR draft possible, we have the highest bust rate.  Of the first 28 WRs selected in this draft, there are possible 6 (7 if you could Latimer) that look like possible busts.  We have or had on our roster 4 of these losers,  4 out of 6 in Saunders, Powell, Evans, Enunwa.  

2.  Waiting in a deep draft, and spending multiple picks may seem like a great idea, but any dimwit playing fantasy sports can tell you that waiting too long and picking from terrible choices isn't the wisest either unless you have exceptional knowledge that can outwit your competitors (ie inside info, statistical breakdowns others are privy to).  We went into the deepest draft, and waited until the pool was all but dry before jumping in multiple times.  And as far as the results, we've broken our necks each time.  

3.  Did I mention I hate Sanjay Lal?  This guy doesn't develop anyone, why is he on the coaching staff.  I would fire Rex or whoever hired this idiot just based on the choice.  Have a guy that consistently had guys with talent that never developed into anything?  Great, lets hire him and give him a free pass to develop our stupid WRs that don't know the basics of catching a ball.  

4.  Clean house with the GM and the scouts.  With such a need position, to invest 3 picks in a draft in which there were a possible of 6 busts so far is unacceptable.  I'm willing to look past some problems, but when you screw up with CBs AND WRs in today's NFL, you have no shot.   

Wait. What was improbable about this failure?

Also, all of our receivers stats mean nothing when the problem really starts and ends at this team's inability to draft or develop a quarterback worth a damn. The Jets could have drafted 3 WRs in the first three rounds this season and it would mean squat when a guy is sailing balls over their heads from five yards away.

The air of no confidence is upon the entire team. High draft picks and a last place schedule look appealing. Just not with this FO

...I knew Rex had no clue

when he convinced the GM to acquire 37 year old Derrick Mason;  then he puts his ( possibly starting QB) in the meaningless Snoopy Bowl , and gets him hurt before the season.   Were they stupid enuf to think that Geno would be the next Tom Brady...?

Also, all of our receivers stats mean nothing when the problem really starts and ends at this team's inability to draft or develop a quarterback worth a damn. The Jets could have drafted 3 WRs in the first three rounds this season and it would mean squat when a guy is sailing balls over their heads from five yards away.

.....  Clean house with the GM and the scouts.  With such a need position, to invest 3 picks in a draft in which there were a possible of 6 busts so far is unacceptable.  I'm willing to look past some problems, but when you screw up with CBs AND WRs in today's NFL, you have no shot.  

.... The GM has been a failure along with Rex.   Rex should have been hired as DC, and Bruce Arians as HC.  Any slob sitting at a bar could have made better choices than Dimitri, Jalen Saunders, CJ2K ( he's washed out) and VICK... just playing for money; he wasted ours.   With all the money we wasted on dumb-ass players, we coulda kept Revis and Cromartie.

This is absolutely the case.  The NFL starts and ends with QB play.  Sure they could have signed a better CB, sure they could have drafted a WR (although I would say Amaro fits that bill and has been solid) but this team isn't going anywhere without competent QB play.  maybe there's another win in here somewhere but being 2-6 wouldn't make me feel any better.

systemic or on purpose?

Why would they fail on purpose though?  They would be hurting themselves in the process.

It's that we missed on these guys altogether like this.  Saunders is on a PS, not like any team thought highly off him in the draft that they picked him off waivers just to see what he could do.  Even the year before, I believe the Seahawks drafted Chris Harper in the 4th and then subsequently released him, and he was claimed off waivers a couple of times.  With Saunders, even that didn't happen.  And Enunwa has been sitting on the PS for us with no one apparently caring enough to poach him so far.  To me atleast, that indicates that they had had fringe roster grades to begin with, and we wasted two picks on them.    Two guys that teams with good QBs could've picked up and developed for free, that have chosen not to do so.    

I do think QB plays a bit, but it's sort of an egg or the chicken type question there.  A good QB can develop a young WR, but how do you develop a young QB without good WRs?  Teams usually pair a high QB pick with a high WR with talent, so they know talent isn't the issue.  

...I knew Rex had no clue

when he convinced the GM to acquire 37 year old Derrick Mason;  then he puts his ( possibly starting QB) in the meaningless Snoopy Bowl , and gets him hurt before the season.   Were they stupid enuf to think that Geno would be the next Tom Brady...?

I think Rex trusts his gut too much, and these days, the gut seems to be less and less right.  He wants the Rah Rah guys that want to run through walls or make locker room speeches, and that clouds his judgement.   Maybe it's a desire to be liked in the clubhouse that he goes overboard.  Even with the media that basically trash him left and right as an idiot, he tries to be friendly with them, joke around.   

.....  Clean house with the GM and the scouts.  With such a need position, to invest 3 picks in a draft in which there were a possible of 6 busts so far is unacceptable.  I'm willing to look past some problems, but when you screw up with CBs AND WRs in today's NFL, you have no shot.  

.... The GM has been a failure along with Rex.   Rex should have been hired as DC, and Bruce Arians as HC.  Any slob sitting at a bar could have made better choices than Dimitri, Jalen Saunders, CJ2K ( he's washed out) and VICK... just playing for money; he wasted ours.   With all the money we wasted on dumb-ass players, we coulda kept Revis and Cromartie.

The Saunders pick really hurts because there were legit studs still on the board at the time.  The Mcdougle pick atleast seemed like it was possibly working out until he got hurt, but Moncrief is a future stud that is already producing.  Infact, I remember before the draft, I made a post comparing Moncrief and Julio Jones and how similar they were in terms of production and ability, and people dismissed it.  But he's off to a really nice start, and starting to play more and more with the Colts and moving Hicks to the bench.   

This is one of those drafts, where I felt there were posters on boards that could've drafted better, and you got the feeling as the draft took place.  Like we just picked names out of a hat.   

This is absolutely the case.  The NFL starts and ends with QB play.  Sure they could have signed a better CB, sure they could have drafted a WR (although I would say Amaro fits that bill and has been solid) but this team isn't going anywhere without competent QB play.  maybe there's another win in here somewhere but being 2-6 wouldn't make me feel any better.

I think you need WR talent to make the QB play better as well, especially a young QB.  We saw that when Decker was healthy, our offense looked better as a passing option (especially since Amaro wasn't out there then either) and as soon as he got hurt, we basically went into 3 and out mode.   

I think it's easy to look at say the All 22 game tape, and say this guy was open and so was this guy, but they have to be open at certain times when the QB is looking their way.  Our less talented guys take longer to get open, which causes the timing to off and QBs to start moving on to other reads which may or may not get open at all.  I'm not absolving the QB play here at all, just saying that it goes hand in hand.  Even when Vick was in, he was just standing there for ages looking around, running around before he found anyone.   

With how defenses play now, if you have a running game, then you need 3 good WRS out there on the field, and atleast one of them will face single coverage.  If that guy can beat single coverage, then you have a passing attack.  Until Harvin, we had one good WR in Decker, and an ok one in Kerley.  And I'm not sure Harvin is a stud WR, he's just really versatile.  

Archived