Percy "at peace" With Gang Green

flgreen

Percy 'at peace' with Gang Green

NOVEMBER 13, 2014 LAST UPDATED: THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2014, 1:21 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER | THE RECORD

FLORHAM PARK – Jets players are off until Monday, which means wide receiver Percy Harvin could have returned to his native Virginia for a few days.

Instead, Harvin was planning to spend the off time in New Jersey, continuing to get to know his new home. And Harvin sounded earlier this week as if he wanted to stay for a while.

"I’m just at peace right now," Harvin said Tuesday. "I’m enjoying playing football right now. I’m just loving coming into work every day with my teammates. That’s what you want. You just want to be able to come in, have peace, you love your teammates, and you go from there."

Harvin certainly didn’t have that during a tempestuous 19 months with the Seattle Seahawks before being traded to the Jets on Oct. 17. He twice punched teammates within a seven-month span and reportedly was very unhappy with his role before the defending Super Bowl champions shipped him to the Jets for a conditional 2015 draft pick.

But he seems much happier playing for the 2-8 Jets than the still-contending Seahawks, although he wouldn’t directly answer a question about which team he preferred.

"I enjoy coming to work," he said. "Any time you love coming to work, that’s peace for me. As far as Seattle, I wish them all well. I get texts from my teammates all the time from over there. It’s still all love. If those guys do go on and win the Super Bowl, I tip my hat to them. [There’s] no ill will here."

In three games with the Jets, Harvin has 17 receptions for 174 yards, 11 rushes for 69 yards, and is averaging 27.9 yards per kickoff return.

"We feel great that he is here," coach Rex Ryan said Wednesday when asked about Harvin, "and I even asked him, ‘How do you like the area?’ and he goes, ‘Oh, it’s fantastic.’ And he has a smile on his face, I can tell you that. I think for whatever reason I don’t know, he just feels great here, and we’re happy he’s here."

Of course, everything was wonderful between the Jets and another mercurial receiver, Santonio Holmes, in 2010. Holmes helped the Jets to their second straight appearance in the AFC title game after being acquired in a trade with Pittsburgh during the previous off-season. Holmes was in the final year of his contract and was on his best behavior.

The Jets re-signed him to a five-year deal, but he became a major distraction during the 2011 season and never again produced as much on the field for the Jets, who finally released him after the 2013 season. Holmes was waived by Chicago on Tuesday.

Harvin has four years left after this season on his Seattle contract, but none of the money is guaranteed. His contract is scheduled to count as $10.5 million against the salary cap next season, and it’s possible the Jets would want to restructure his deal to reduce that charge. But first they will have to decide if the contented, happy player they are seeing right now will continue to be that way in the future.

"I know my parents call me all the time and ask me how I’m doing," Harvin said, "and they’re just noticing in my voice that I’m just at peace, and I’m calm. I’m just able to come in and play football and just not have to worry about the outside stuff. I’m loving it right now. Since the trade happened, I’ve been calm the whole time. It’s been all peace and all good for me. The transition has been very smooth. I’m hoping it stays that way."

Not sure what the right call is is as far as to keep him or not.  His history being a malcontent is very similar to Homes and that's a concern.  but I cant be the only one who can hardly remember, if at all the last time we had an offensive player of this magnitude.  He looks like he moves at a different speed than anyone out there,  Going to be very interesting how this one works out.  I guess at this point I have to be leaning towards the "Yes to Percy" side.

Not sure what the right call is is as far as to keep him or not.  His history being a malcontent is very similar to Homes and that's a concern.  but I cant be the only one who can hardly remember, if at all the last time we had an offensive player of this magnitude.  He looks like he moves at a different speed than anyone out there,  Going to be very interesting how this one works out.  I guess at this point I have to be leaning towards the "Yes to Percy" side.

Yeah the Holmes comparison is a good one. I want his talent, and right now he is saying and doing all the right things, but what is he going to do when he gets his new contract? Are they really going to pay him $10,000,000 next year?

Yeah the Holmes comparison is a good one. I want his talent, and right now he is saying and doing all the right things, but what is he going to do when he gets his new contract? Are they really going to pay him $10,000,000 next year?

Probably not.  The one thing going for us is I don't think anyone else will at this point either.  Hopefully they can find a reasonable agreement.  Players that are traded at deadline for conditional mid round picks usually don;t have the options others do.  Truth is the fact we are a 2-8 team helps us in this matter in a way.  Nobody really cares about what the Jets or there players are doing.  People pay attention to front runners and the players that play for that team.  This may make it possible to sine him at something reasonable for both sides?  Guy is one bad move away from being out of the league.  

If Jets decide to keep him I'd make him play one more year on that non-guaranteed contract of his. He's on a pay-as-you-go deal now, and while it looks expensive on an annual basis, it will be much cheaper than giving him a guaranteed money deal and having him revert back to his old ways.

If Jets decide to keep him I'd make him play one more year on that non-guaranteed contract of his. He's on a pay-as-you-go deal now, and while it looks expensive on an annual basis, it will be much cheaper than giving him a guaranteed money deal and having him revert back to his old ways.

Yep, that's probably the way to go. His current contract gives him 10 million next season. How is Wilkerson going to react if they are still messing with his contract?

This is a slippery slope. Guess it depends who the GM is

I understand the logic you're going for here, but I don't see it happening. I don't think they give Seattle that fourth rounder without having Harvin locked up at a lower price first.

I understand the logic you're going for here, but I don't see it happening. I don't think they give Seattle that fourth rounder without having Harvin locked up at a lower price first.

Well we already know what will happen. Jets will either cut him and he will go up to Foxboro and destroy us for the next 5 years, or we will keep him for a year at $10m and Seattle will turn our 4th round pick into a future HOFer, or we will give him a guaranteed money deal and harvin will santonio us into oblivion.

PS $10M isn't expensive if we are getting "good percy" and even if he behaves through the rest of this year, giving him guaranteed money is a dangerous game.

PS $10M isn't expensive if we are getting "good percy" and even if he behaves through the rest of this year, giving him guaranteed money is a dangerous game.

Depends on how much guaranteed money you're talking about. If it's $10M on a deal that has a low first year salary and averages out to much less per year (say, the $7.25M Decker's getting), Harvin gets his money in 2015, and the Jets have him locked up at a better rate.

And I really don't think they'd be giving him much more than that guaranteed.

Depends on how much guaranteed money you're talking about. If it's $10M on a deal that has a low first year salary and averages out to much less per year (say, the $7.25M Decker's getting), Harvin gets his money in 2015, and the Jets have him locked up at a better rate.

why would he accept that? Harvin very well may prefer to play another year under his old contract and bet on himself, or force the jets to cut him and sign a one year show me deal elsewhere

why would he accept that? Harvin very well may prefer to play another year under his old contract and bet on himself, or force the jets to cut him and sign a one year show me deal elsewhere

It depends on what he and his agent believe his value would be on the open market. I think Decker money might even be on the high side for a guy who, while certainly electric, is still largely a gimmick player. He's certainly not a true #1 WR type. Sure, he could say screw that and bet on himself with a one year deal somewhere else, but it is a gamble. Especially if he's looking at $10M guaranteed on the table. Remember, this is a guy with both character baggage and injury concerns. Four years, $29M, $10M guaranteed, is a pretty sweet deal for that entire package.

It depends on what he and his agent believe his value would be on the open market. I think Decker money might even be on the high side for a guy who, while certainly electric, is still largely a gimmick player. He's certainly not a true #1 WR type. Sure, he could say screw that and bet on himself with a one year deal somewhere else, but it is a gamble. Especially if he's looking at $10M guaranteed on the table. Remember, this is a guy with both character baggage and injury concerns. Four years, $29M, $10M guaranteed, is a pretty sweet deal for that entire package.

as long as he is on roster beginning of next year he gets $10M guaranteed under current deal--can't see him signing a deal like you propose. i think he will call jets bluff and dare them to cut him--and if they do, go sign a one year show me deal somewhere with a real QB (knowing our luck prob NE) around $6M

Good plan, but what prevents him from going total A-hole after he gets his big money first year

it's funny the words he chose "I'm at peace."

You don't talk about becoming "at peace" with good things. "I am at peace with winning the lottery," or "I am at peace with sleeping with Jessica Biel." No, you become "at peace" after mourning a family member passing away or your dog being run over.

it's funny the words he chose "I'm at peace."

You don't talk about becoming "at peace" with good things. "I am at peace with winning the lottery," or "I am at peace with sleeping with Jessica Biel." No, you become "at peace" after mourning a family member passing away or your dog being run over.

Think your looking way to deep into it.

Think he just means he was very unhappy, and stressed in Seattle, and he's happy with his role here.

Your not thinking about killing his dog are you?

Think your looking way to deep into it.

Think he just means he was very unhappy, and stressed in Seattle, and he's happy with his role here.

Your not thinking about killing his dog are you?

we will see how at peace he is when he instructs his agent not to renegotiate a contract with the jets giving team option of paying him $10M or cutting him

Good plan, but what prevents him from going total A-hole after he gets his big money first year

You're in the same boat if you keep him under his current contract, except that if he works out, he costs less each year going forward from there. Under either scenario, he's getting $10M from the Jets in 2015.

You're in the same boat if you keep him under his current contract, except that if he works out, he costs less each year going forward from there. Under either scenario, he's getting $10M from the Jets in 2015.

He's going to want another deal too. Tons of incentive to not be a dick. He has certainly been saying and doing all the right things so far. No tweets of him shirtless and chugging Cristal. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

Archived