Mixed Reaction, and Game Observations

win4ever

In a way, this game went pretty much what I was hoping would happen out on the field, except with one twist.  I wanted the offense to be good, show some real poise, the defense to be decent, especially the young guys, and lose a close game because we have absolutely nothing to gain by winning this game as much as it hurts.  

But ofcourse, the Jets being the Jets, they messed up one part of it.  I wanted the passing to be great because that was the question mark, but instead that looked horrendous.  Although I'm not sure I can blame Geno completely for this one because their blitzes were getting to Geno constantly.  It's a stark difference to see some of these top tier QBs that have enough time to go through their progressions, yet we have an OLine that will give you a second before the defender is in your face.  

- Pass Protection looked horrible, and Cumberland is a terrible blocker.  I'm not sure why he gets so much play, the guy is useless as a blocker.  Directly led to one big sack today where the guy just ran by him, didn't even do a fancy move, just waltzed right by him.   

- Rex adjusted his defense to play way more zone, something we desperately needed to do early in the year, yet refused.   Rex on defense reminds of the procrastinating smart kid from college.  If he gave it full effort all the time, he'd be great, but seems to have periods where he's like screw it and just doesn't get creative.  However, you put his back against the wall or put up a challenge like a top tier QB, and he usually comes through pretty well given the circumstances.   Today was one of those creative days for him where he seemed to really try, and if not for our defensive players not knowing how to catch a ball, would've worked out.   

-  Saying that, the whole offensive philosophy needs to change.  Gruden can go on and on about how MM creates plays out of nowhere, but we need a different approach.  This is a QB driven league, and everything we do seems to go against developing a QB.  I want a fast paced spread system, so atleast there is some excitement.  This is twice this year that we went absolutely ballistic running the ball, and ended up losing.  We rarely give the QBs a chance because we only seem to pass on obvious downs

I like the idea of a spread offense. I just don't think we have the players or coaches to fit that scheme. Even after this year we still have a sh*t O line and a ground and pound starting running back. Sure you could draft Mariota and play the spread but where is the OC that can implement a solid game plan that doesn't epically fail? MM sure can't. Rex sure can't. We need sticky hands and speed.

I like the idea of a spread offense. I just don't think we have the players or coaches to fit that scheme. Even after this year we still have a sh*t O line and a ground and pound starting running back. Sure you could draft Mariota and play the spread but where is the OC that can implement a solid game plan that doesn't epically fail? MM sure can't. Rex sure can't. We need sticky hands and speed.

I think we need to bring in one more WR (either via draft/free agency) to be a No. 2 type guy.   Decker/No. 2/Harvin/Kerley should work fine in any system.  I am assuming Chris Johnson isn't coming back, so would need a pass catching RB but this year's class is very deep at RB, so we should be able to fine someone (although I said the same thing about WR last year and that ended up a disaster).   There needs to be some changes, but I think if the coach has a good system, we can adjust just fine.  I'd love Malzhan or Helfrich to be the coach, especially if we someone how Mariotta as the pick.  

I had no complaints with the first half game plan -- why change what was working so well -- but it was obvious that the Fins adjusted in the second half and so more pass plays were needed to keep them off balance. I also wonder how much Amaro's absence impacted their game plan. I don't blame Geno too much for his inaccuracy last night simply because he wasn't throwing that much, which I would think made it hard for him to stay loose and get into a groove. Man, but he really had Harvin for that TD that could have been the game winner.

I hate to admit it, but the Jets did what I was secretly hoping they would: lose in a competitive fashion. Pains me to admit that given how much I hate the Dolphins. But if it's do or die for the Fins in week 17, all bets are off.

I'm torn as to how I feel about this result. Squishing the Phish would have damaged them a lot, and started putting out a lot of doubt about whether they are a legit playoff team. Losing to them has put them in the 6th seed spot. However, at least they "won ugly" in a game that they really should be winning easily if they see themselves as contenders. Hell, Buffalo annihilated us just one week ago, and their playoff hopes are much slimmer.

But, had we won, given the way we played i'd have felt down about that. Not about the draft spot, but the fact that we tried to win without a passing game. Good ol' Rex and his 1980's view of the world, running and defense, who needs a passing game. Can you believe our WRs had more yards on the ground than through the air??? This style of Jets football needs to DIE. i don't object to having a preference for running and playing defense, but NOT to the extent that you might as well take the QB off the field altogether. I mean, Jeremy Kerley and Bilal Powell could have racked up that many passing yards throwing out of the Wildcat.

Now here's the bit that really has me wondering. The FO forced the decision about playing Geno. Rex fought back by limiting Geno so much he might as well not have played at all. Yet there don't appear to be any repercussions. Does that mean our FO are HAPPY to throw games?? They wanted Geno to play - not Vick - yet do you reckon we'd have won that game if Vick had started? I do. And it was the FOs decision to go with Geno over Vick. Looks like the FO are more interested in draft spots than wins ... and that does not bode well IMHO.

All in all, i'm starting to care less and less about this team ... can't even get all that interested in the post-season at this point. I just think we're mired in such a mess that it'll take several off-seasons before there's reason to hope again, and I'm usually a fairly optimistic fan.

I had no complaints with the first half game plan -- why change what was working so well -- but it was obvious that the Fins adjusted in the second half and so more pass plays were needed to keep them off balance. I also wonder how much Amaro's absence impacted their game plan. I don't blame Geno too much for his inaccuracy last night simply because he wasn't throwing that much, which I would think made it hard for him to stay loose and get into a groove. Man, but he really had Harvin for that TD that could have been the game winner.

I hate to admit it, but the Jets did what I was secretly hoping they would: lose in a competitive fashion. Pains me to admit that given how much I hate the Dolphins. But if it's do or die for the Fins in week 17, all bets are off.

Yeah, that Harvin TD opportunity being blown sucks, but if I remember correctly, there was a guy all but lunging at it when he made that throw from the middle.  It looked like whoever was trying to block him went too low and the guy leaped over him, so Geno did have to throw that off the back foot.   

I thought the pass protection last night was horrible, and the Fins brought the blitz on pretty much every passing opportunity that we had, and that's an indication that the playcalling was very predictable.   We seemed to run, run, and run, until it was third and long and then they sent the blitz.  I can't even remember one time we dropped back to pass and there wasn't a blitz.   

The last throw to Cumberland, to be honest, wasn't a horrible throw in my view.  For the circumstances, I thought it was a safe throw actually.  He had a step on his defender, with the guys back turned to the QB.  He places the ball where Cumberland could catch the ball.  Just freezing the play at point of release shows that they throw will get there before either of the safeties will be able to make a play on it, so it's a good percentage play IMO.  The chance of Cumberland catching it were about as good as his defender knocking it away from him.  Ofcourse with our luck, when the defender knocks it away, it's right to an awaiting defensive player, but it seemed more like a freak play than a mistake.   Could it have been a bit further upfield?  Sure.  But I didn't think the throw was horrible, considering we needed to take shots downfield.  

Yeah it really sucks to root against the team, and I find it really hard during the game.  Before and after the game, I can sit back and say "well it'd be a good thing with one more loss, better draft position, etc" but during the game it's just too hard to root against the team.  Even though a win wouldn't help us one bit and most likely hurts us, I was still upset with the loss when it happened.  

I'm torn as to how I feel about this result. Squishing the Phish would have damaged them a lot, and started putting out a lot of doubt about whether they are a legit playoff team. Losing to them has put them in the 6th seed spot. However, at least they "won ugly" in a game that they really should be winning easily if they see themselves as contenders. Hell, Buffalo annihilated us just one week ago, and their playoff hopes are much slimmer.

But, had we won, given the way we played i'd have felt down about that. Not about the draft spot, but the fact that we tried to win without a passing game. Good ol' Rex and his 1980's view of the world, running and defense, who needs a passing game. Can you believe our WRs had more yards on the ground than through the air??? This style of Jets football needs to DIE. i don't object to having a preference for running and playing defense, but NOT to the extent that you might as well take the QB off the field altogether. I mean, Jeremy Kerley and Bilal Powell could have racked up that many passing yards throwing out of the Wildcat.

Now here's the bit that really has me wondering. The FO forced the decision about playing Geno. Rex fought back by limiting Geno so much he might as well not have played at all. Yet there don't appear to be any repercussions. Does that mean our FO are HAPPY to throw games?? They wanted Geno to play - not Vick - yet do you reckon we'd have won that game if Vick had started? I do. And it was the FOs decision to go with Geno over Vick. Looks like the FO are more interested in draft spots than wins ... and that does not bode well IMHO.

All in all, i'm starting to care less and less about this team ... can't even get all that interested in the post-season at this point. I just think we're mired in such a mess that it'll take several off-seasons before there's reason to hope again, and I'm usually a fairly optimistic fan.

I think secretly, the front office wants to lose these games.  Sort of like how coaches always rally for better players, a front office would rally for better picks (in the case that they had no shot at contending, which is true here) because it affords them more power in the draft.  If the GM is to be fired, I don't think it would make that much of a difference if a team won or lost a close game, because they are to be evaluated on the talent level on the team, and not really the win loss record.   It can factor in where the whole situation becomes toxic, but I think the front office secretly wants better picks, with the promise that they can sign people this offseason, coupled with high draft picks for a turnaround.  However, that exact option makes the team attractive to prospective GMs as well, so it's double edged sword.  

I don't mind the decision to go to Geno because we have nothing to gain from starting Vick.  He is most likely not going to be back next year, and even if he is, he's not good enough to take the team anywhere.  And the free agent market is as barren as it can be for QBs every year.  So we need to see Geno play more to determine if we need a high QB selection (first round like Mariotta) or a guy in the second or third (Hundley possibly?) that can go into "competition" next year with Geno, but most likely sit for half a year atleast and learn the system.   Unfortunately, like you said, we went completely away from evaluating the QB and into absolute run mode, which did nothing to help us know if Geno is actually even a decent hold over competition type guy for next year.  Since his contract is cheap enough, he's going to be on the team next year, but I think the FO wants to know if they need to bring in a veteran guy (Fitzpatrick type) to compete with a rookie or if Geno can just be below average enough that they can spend money elsewhere.  

Rex has to be gone at this point, he can't be brought back with what has happened to the team these last three years.  The game is just completely different than the one he grew up with, and he doesn't make adjustments on the offensive side.  Infact, I think the main problem with us letting teams score right before the half stems from the fact that we don't have good base defenses.  We're so predicated on blitzes and deception, that when a team can just line up and go straight at us without adjusting much at all, we can't stop anyone.  Even against fast paced teams, they usually run upto the line, and then look around to make audibles, which gives the defense a chance to adjust, but in the two minute drill, they forego most audibles and just go with simple play calls, which we can't beat.   It's the toughest thing for the defense to defend against because they have to be reactionary.  We get killed every time with it, yet we refuse to incorporate any semblance of it on offense.  Heck, even our 2 minute drive usually has us strolling to the line, and then waiting to make sure the defense can see the formation, adjust, and give the thumbs up, so we can snap the ball.   

I usually just pick a different team to root for in the playoffs, and just enjoy it that way.  Usually root against anyone playing the Pats and then pick one team to follow.  

Archived