If Harvin is out for the year

jetsrule128

There are a number of ways this deal could have made sense but none of them happened.  It was an illogical move made by a poorly run franchise.  No other way to see...

Deal could have made sense, if...

They believed he was worth $10mm and were prepared to pay him (not saying he is but if they believed that then at least there's logic behind it)

They were able to do sign and trade (or be VERY, VERY confident they could renegotiate)

They did it a month earlier

If they end up NOT resigning him there would be no way possible you could look at this move in any positive light....they simply threw away $7mm in cap money...

I agree.  I am still hopeful of the first.  I am hoping that he is worth $10M.  People claiming they'd have him back at $4-5M are dreaming.  They really don't think he is worth more than Kerley?  I don't get it.  I don't even really like the guy and can see that. 

Funny thing is that this team has allegedly had a hard on for Harvin for years.  It would be funny if Bradway was the guy pushing for him. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number of ways this deal could have made sense but none of them happened.  It was an illogical move made by a poorly run franchise.  No other way to see...

Deal could have made sense, if...

They believed he was worth $10mm and were prepared to pay him (not saying he is but if they believed that then at least there's logic behind it)

They were able to do sign and trade (or be VERY, VERY confident they could renegotiate)

They did it a month earlier

If they end up NOT resigning him there would be no way possible you could look at this move in any positive light....they simply threw away $7mm in cap money...

Dude, you do understand the concept of the cap right?   

You understand that teams over a period of a few years HAVE to spend a certain amount of the cap?

So if we go into next year with $51 mil in cap room we are going to have to overpay for crappy players?    Is that what you want the Jets to do?

I would rather have traded a six round pick to see how an explosive player fit in on the team and then if he busted no harm no foul.  If he fits in and played well we can keep him for a 4th and 10 mil a year.   Also with Harvin its perfect to keep him on current deal as there is plenty of cap $$ and this way he can be gotten rid of with no down the road costs at all.  He can be released at any time for the cost of a 4th rounder.

Dude, you do understand the concept of the cap right?   

You understand that teams over a period of a few years HAVE to spend a certain amount of the cap?

So if we go into next year with $51 mil in cap room we are going to have to overpay for crappy players?    Is that what you want the Jets to do?

I would rather have traded a six round pick to see how an explosive player fit in on the team and then if he busted no harm no foul.  If he fits in and played well we can keep him for a 4th and 10 mil a year.   Also with Harvin its perfect to keep him on current deal as there is plenty of cap $$ and this way he can be gotten rid of with no down the road costs at all.  He can be released at any time for the cost of a 4th rounder.

I actually do understand what a cap is..Are you honestly saying the Jets couldn't spend $51mm wisely? That money will be spent more quickly than you think ..(plus the CBA isn't over next year)

With that said - we're going to NEED to overpay to attempt to fix this team ...

1) The amount of holes we have to fill, the team is going to need to start over.  We'll need a large quantity of new players

2) The talent gap is huge - we're going to need to add quality

3) Legitimacy gap - In order to recruit to players who are willing to play for the NYJ's - we're going to have to overpay

4) The few talented people we have are going to need to be paid in order to keep them

If you don't think they can wisely spent $51mm (if managed properly) well, you're wrong...What you're all missing is how much $7mm is....as an example - let's say Dez Bryant...if we offered him $7mm more than what any other team did - do we sign him? I don't know but it'll help...I would rather overpay Dez Bryant $7mm at the beginning of a season then waste $7mm on Percy Harvin is an already lost year.

All I'm saying is the $7mm spent on Harvin served absolutely no benefit other than PR...

Look forward to Idzik bring in more injury prone players.

Watch Idzik restructure Harvin's deal to give him more money and years.

I can't believe there are jets fans that would want Harvin beyond this season at anything more than the league minimum.  The guy is a waste of time.  Talented player but he cannot stay healthy, is a headcase and insanely overpaid.

All I'm saying is the $7mm spent on Harvin served absolutely no benefit other than PR...

Agreed.  It was another dumb move by Idzik done 6 months too late to try to do damage control for neglecting WR/CB in the off-season.

This guy absolutely cannot be the GM after this season.  We are doomed.

Pounced for what reason though? The season was lost. He cost us cash and a draft pick and can walk (assuming he doesn't break his leg) at the end of the season.

Why not instead sign DJax during last off season without and loss of draft picks?  Better player ,the season was not yet lost and we would have him under contract for a few years.

Anyone who thinks that this was not a cave to bad press is nuts.

He's under contract for a few more years. He doesn't have any guaranteed money on his contract. What round pick did he cost?

No one is saying it's a conspiracy....Just that it was made primarily for PR.  I think that's almost indisputable.  no matter what anyone says here - ask any GM in the NFL if $7mm (no matter how much you have) isn't a lot of cap money.  It is!

To waste $7mm on a guy that was about to cut - especially when the next year there will be multiple quality FA WR's available.  

Maybe, but once he's cut or those other guys become FA there will be more than one interested party and guaranteed money will be involved. 

Archived