My Take on Draft/Positions

varjet

Round 1-Williams/DL-it can be argued that drafting DL well and getting the benefit of their rookie contracts, and then perhaps passing on the much larger bigger ticket contract, has some merit.  Those contracts are very large, and the player is then older and potentially more injury prone.  Williams was the must pick here.  It would also appear that the Jets are overloaded/committed/capped on the DL.  A scenario where they keep Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams, trade/let go Harrison and Coples, and integrate younger/cheaper plays, could have some merit.  In any event, if we are trying to fill seats this year, this defense could look dominant, which is good, since the offense may not.

Round 2-Smith/WRs (also Posey)-I think Smith was the right pick here.  His talent was in the ballpark, and he clearly fills a hole in the Jets' offense-a deep threat.  This will help the entire offense function better this year.  I wonder where the addition of Posey leaves the Enuwa and Evans draft picks, as well as the others.  Idzik was clearly deluded drafting possession receivers after also signing Decker.   There is always the PS again-I would like to see what Evans can do.

Round 3-Mouldin/Edge (tradedown).  Mouldin will likely be a productive player in the NFL-he is the anti-Gholston.   I do believe that this is the pick by which Maccagnan's talent evaluation skills will be judged.   If the other edge rushers picked after before Mouldin but after the Jets would have picked prove to be more productive, particularly at sacking the QB, we fans will be frustrated.

Round 4-Petty/QB-there were other players who could have clearly contributed left on the board, but the Jets took a developmental QB.  I think that, given where we are, this was the right choice.    I tried once to describe what the Gailey/"Spread" offense was.  Perhaps the best way I think of it is an offense that is not pure drop back QB and that asks the QB to move around more.  Simms is not that.  Petty can fit into that.  It is not his fault that he played college for a team that ran a simple but effective offense.  My guess is that in HS he had the same experience as other QBs.  Let's give him a shot and work with him.   He will be the Jets 3rd QB though-I doubt he lasts on a PS roster.  Simms is gone, unless there is an injury.  Necessary upgrade.  The Jets need to pick a developmental QB, and Edge Rusher, every year untiil they are stacked at the position.

Round 5-Harrison/OL.  There are alot of OL on the current roster.  It will be interesting how this shakes out.  The Jets must feel good about the free agent signings, particularly at OT, since they did not draft one.  All of the OTs after Round 1 appeared to have developmental needs, so perhaps this was wise.  My hope is that Dozier can really contribute this year.  My expectation is that Winters' days with the Jets may be numbered.    Hopefully Harrison can upgrade the PS.  Hopefully someone can give the Jets a reason to have Colon retire.

Round 7-Simon/More DL.  The Jets will need to balance their star high priced DL with some lower cost players.  Hopefully Simon can be a productive addition to the mix.

Round 7-Stacy/RB.  RB careers are not long, so my guess is that with the other signings the Jets felt that investing in a RB this year was not necessary.  Let's see how the RBs they passed on develop over time.  A change of pace back could have been good here, but that would have meant no Mouldin.

All in all, I would expect the Jets to be a more competitive and better team this year.  The draft clearly showed alot of work and thought.  Let the games begin.

Round 1-Williams/DL-it can be argued that drafting DL well and getting the benefit of their rookie contracts, and then perhaps passing on the much larger bigger ticket contract, has some merit.  Those contracts are very large, and the player is then older and potentially more injury prone.  Williams was the must pick here.  It would also appear that the Jets are overloaded/committed/capped on the DL.  A scenario where they keep Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams, trade/let go Harrison and Coples, and integrate younger/cheaper plays, could have some merit.  In any event, if we are trying to fill seats this year, this defense could look dominant, which is good, since the offense may not.

Round 2-Smith/WRs (also Posey)-I think Smith was the right pick here.  His talent was in the ballpark, and he clearly fills a hole in the Jets' offense-a deep threat.  This will help the entire offense function better this year.  I wonder where the addition of Posey leaves the Enuwa and Evans draft picks, as well as the others.  Idzik was clearly deluded drafting possession receivers after also signing Decker.   There is always the PS again-I would like to see what Evans can do.

Round 3-Mouldin/Edge (tradedown).  Mouldin will likely be a productive player in the NFL-he is the anti-Gholston.   I do believe that this is the pick by which Maccagnan's talent evaluation skills will be judged.   If the other edge rushers picked after before Mouldin but after the Jets would have picked prove to be more productive, particularly at sacking the QB, we fans will be frustrated.

Round 4-Petty/QB-there were other players who could have clearly contributed left on the board, but the Jets took a developmental QB.  I think that, given where we are, this was the right choice.    I tried once to describe what the Gailey/"Spread" offense was.  Perhaps the best way I think of it is an offense that is not pure drop back QB and that asks the QB to move around more.  Simms is not that.  Petty can fit into that.  It is not his fault that he played college for a team that ran a simple but effective offense.  My guess is that in HS he had the same experience as other QBs.  Let's give him a shot and work with him.   He will be the Jets 3rd QB though-I doubt he lasts on a PS roster.  Simms is gone, unless there is an injury.  Necessary upgrade.  The Jets need to pick a developmental QB, and Edge Rusher, every year untiil they are stacked at the position.

Round 5-Harrison/OL.  There are alot of OL on the current roster.  It will be interesting how this shakes out.  The Jets must feel good about the free agent signings, particularly at OT, since they did not draft one.  All of the OTs after Round 1 appeared to have developmental needs, so perhaps this was wise.  My hope is that Dozier can really contribute this year.  My expectation is that Winters' days with the Jets may be numbered.    Hopefully Harrison can upgrade the PS.  Hopefully someone can give the Jets a reason to have Colon retire.

Round 7-Simon/More DL.  The Jets will need to balance their star high priced DL with some lower cost players.  Hopefully Simon can be a productive addition to the mix.

Round 7-Stacy/RB.  RB careers are not long, so my guess is that with the other signings the Jets felt that investing in a RB this year was not necessary.  Let's see how the RBs they passed on develop over time.  A change of pace back could have been good here, but that would have meant no Mouldin.

All in all, I would expect the Jets to be a more competitive and better team this year.  The draft clearly showed alot of work and thought.  Let the games begin.

Nice write up

Round 1: Leonard Williams

If you told me before the draft the Jets were going to end up with Leonard Williams, I would probably still be laughing. As for as how we're going to use him.

43 Base : 

Coples

Wilkerson 

Williams 

Richardson

Mauldin  - Sam

Harris  - Mike

Davis  - WSL

34 Base :

Wilkerson/Williams

Harrison

Richardson/Williams

Coples

Harris

Davis

Henderson

46 Base :

Williams

Wilkerson

Richardson

Coples

Revis

Cromartie

Davis

Pryor

Gilchrist

Allen

Skrine

Round 2 : Devin Smith

The player the Jets offense is /was missing forever. Here you have a speed receiver who can and will take the top off the defense and actually catch the darn football when it 's thrown to him. Him and Kerley will fight it out as to who gets the most playing time.

Round 3: Lorenzo Mauldin

The Jets haven't had a true Sam linebacker since Mo Lewis left and now they have. We have had plenty of Lbers since Lewis retired, but none of em had the capability of standing up a TE at the LOS and still have the ability to get to the QB. Ask yourself this question . When was the last time the Jets were able to control the TE position in the NFL ? Did the name Mo Lewis popped into your head ?

Round 4 : Bryce Petty

We all knew the Jets were going to add a developmental QB . We all should have understood that said prospect would not be a challenger to the starting QB,  whoever that is this season . All things considered, the Jets got 1 of the 3 I was interested in. The 2 other being Grayson and Mannion.

Round 5 : Jarvis Harrison

Before this morning I didn't know much about this kid. I watched a few games of his, mainly a game against Mississippi State . What I notice is when the QB of Texas A & M dropped to throw, there was little to no pressure up the middle. The 2 OGs from A & M gave the lousy QB the cleanest inside pocket I have ever seen. This kid has potential to  be special. The thing I dislike is hearing that he doesn't have a love for the game.

Round 7 : Deon Simon

We lost Kenrick Ellis, and I think we just replaced him with his In- shape little brother. Stout at the POA, with better pass rush skills than Snacks. Kid could be a more athletic version of former Jet NT Jason Ferguson, who was also a 7th round pick himself IIRC.

Would have preferred oline/RB in rounds 3-4. Think Mouldin's lack of athleticism will hurt him...try hard guys are great but they generally get exposed at this level.

Petty I dont know all that much about but its rare for 4th round QB's to turn into anything. I hate the RB corp on the roster now so was hoping for some young blood.

Would have preferred oline/RB in rounds 3-4. Think Mouldin's lack of athleticism will hurt him...try hard guys are great but they generally get exposed at this level.

Petty I dont know all that much about but its rare for 4th round QB's to turn into anything. I hate the RB corp on the roster now so was hoping for some young blood.

Im not a huge fan of our RBs this season either but they are certainly not old. I like Ivory a lot and think he is great as long as he doesn't get hurt, the other 3 guys are serviceable but I just don't see any of them being amazing this season, I will stay optimistic though they might come in and surprise us.

Williams should be great, and there's no way we could have passed on him at 6. I'd have preferred someone safer than Smith, but smarter people than me like him, so I'll withhold judgment. I don't love Petty as a prospect, and I think OL was a better value there, but our QB situation is abysmal and he has some tools; just reading the tea leaves, I think Maccagnan and Bowles both see Geno as a lost cause, which answers the question of why we spent a 4th-rounder on a third-string QB. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Harrison or Simon.

The pick that sticks in my craw is Mauldin. I really don't wamt to rehash the numbers-are-gay debate, but the evidence is overwhelming at this point: regardless of college production, level of competition faced, or hours of volunteer work performed, edge rushers who hit certain athletic benchmarks are low-risk prospects who tend to produce at the pro level, and edge rushers who don't are high-risk prospects who tend to wash out. This draft was loaded with the former, and instead of taking the one staring us in the face at 70, we trade out of the pick to grab one of the latter. Mauldin seems like a wonderful kid, and nothing would make me happier than for him to prove me wrong, but the odds are against it, and the pick bespeaks yet another Jets FO that would rather draft A Nice Young Man than just follow the ******* numbers.

Williams should be great, and there's no way we could have passed on him at 6. I'd have preferred someone safer than Smith, but smarter people than me like him, so I'll withhold judgment. I don't love Petty as a prospect, and I think OL was a better value there, but our QB situation is abysmal and he has some tools; just reading the tea leaves, I think Maccagnan and Bowles both see Geno as a lost cause, which answers the question of why we spent a 4th-rounder on a third-string QB. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Harrison or Simon.

The pick that sticks in my craw is Mauldin. I really don't wamt to rehash the numbers-are-gay debate, but the evidence is overwhelming at this point: regardless of college production, level of competition faced, or hours of volunteer work performed, edge rushers who hit certain athletic benchmarks are low-risk prospects who tend to produce at the pro level, and edge rushers who don't are high-risk prospects who tend to wash out. This draft was loaded with the former, and instead of taking the one staring us in the face at 70, we trade out of the pick to grab one of the latter. Mauldin seems like a wonderful kid, and nothing would make me happier than for him to prove me wrong, but the odds are against it, and the pick bespeaks yet another Jets FO that would rather draft A Nice Young Man than just follow the ******* numbers.

Who wrote this for you?

We're gonna definitely have a lot of Harold and Mauldin comparisons around here this season, and maybe for years to come. Hopefully, they'll be favorable for our guy. I liked the idea of Harold in the second round, and was surprised when he dropped all the way to our third rounder. That makes me think the scouts know something about him that the draftnik talking heads didn't. I'm certainly hoping that's the case. For me, it's still in Maccagnan I trust while we're still enjoying our honeymoon. 

Notice everyone in the msm hating on Seattle's drafts...and then you check these guys combine numbers. Clarke is a pos, but he can run and jump a lot better than Mauldin can.

We're gonna definitely have a lot of Harold and Mauldin comparisons around here this season, and maybe for years to come. Hopefully, they'll be favorable for our guy. I liked the idea of Harold in the second round, and was surprised when he dropped all the way to our third rounder. That makes me think the scouts know something about him that the draftnik talking heads didn't. I'm certainly hoping that's the case. For me, it's still in Maccagnan I trust while we're still enjoying our honeymoon.

I meant Odighizuwa over Harold, but yeah, I'm still swooning over his ability to correctly use the phrase "opportunity cost," so I'll hold off on trashing him until at least halftime of Week 1.

Notice everyone in the msm hating on Seattle's drafts...and then you check these guys combine numbers. Clarke is a pos, but he can run and jump a lot better than Mauldin can.

Right. If we're going to take a chance on a guy, I'd rather it be on an athlete than an overachiever.

Archived