Offseason Minicamp is Upon Us

JetNation

New York Jets Training Camp

The Jets are going to hold their mandatory minicamp on June 9-11, and this should provide fans and Todd Bowles a good look at their newly reconstructed team for 2015.  Some of the things to look forward to:

The Return of Wilkerson:  Brian Costello wrote that Muhammad Wilkerson plans to rejoin the team for mandatory minicamps, and will avoid being fined for his absence.  This is music to the Jets, as they can now see how the defensive line will gel with each other for the first time.  One of the most interesting stories for the 2015 season is how the Jets can mold their abundance of stars along the line into a unit that wrecks havoc on opposing QBs.   Rich Cimini, a fan favorite for his ability to squash moments of joy,  however is reporting that Wilkerson’s agents have communicated that they are still undecided about attending camp.  The saga of Wilkerson’s offseason hopefully comes to an end next Tuesday.

Compete With Magic?  The competition between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith should be an interesting match during minicamp.  Geno has had enough time to atleast learn the basics of the Chan Gailey system, while Fitzpatrick is slowly but surely recovering from his leg injury.   Geno is considered the No. 1 QB on the roster right now, but coach Bowles has made it clear that in the event of Fitzpatrick outplaying Smith, he won’t hesitate to make a change.

Amaro Injury:  Jace Amaro left OTA with a possible back injury, although the severity of the injury has not been released.  He was apparently running a route, when he suddenly clutched his back, and went to the sideline.  Amaro, the second year TE, is the perceived No. 1 TE on the roster, and any extended absence could hurt the chemistry of a team that is trying to gel in a new offensive system.   It remains to be seen, how active Amaro will be, at minicamp.

Full Throttle:  The Jets should have a full compliment of WRs available for the minicamp, and it’ll be interesting to see how they line up and compliment each other.  Brandon Marshall, the consensus No. 1 WR on the Jets, just had his contract retooled, and should be ready to lead the unit out of mediocrity.  Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley, incumbents from last year’s starting trio, should also see more running room with less attention focused on them.   How rookie Devin Smith fits into the team’s plans can also be interesting, as Chan Gailey has a penchant for running 3 or 4 WR sets on a consistent basis.  If Jace Amaro is limited, there is a chance that the team tries out more 4 WR sets with Smith on the field with the other three.

Running Back Battle:  The battle for RB isn’t as ballyhooed as the QB battle, but nevertheless an important competition to keep track of.  Chris Ivory is the perceived favorite for the No. 1 role, but the battle behind him could be very interesting.  Newcomers Zac Stacy and Stevan Ridley, who hasn’t been cleared yet from his ACL injury, may be fighting it out for the No. 3 position. Bilal Powell, the favorite to land the 3rd down back role on the team, should also see plenty of targets from the backfield, as the most accomplished receiver from the RB group.

Some quick tidbits from OTAs: 

This is certainly an exciting time to see the full team come together and practice for a couple of days, as the dearth of football information can be tough to take after the free agency frenzy.  All the competitions and battles should be interesting, but most of all, the Jets hopefully come out of the minicamp without any more injuries.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BWKptsKcLEY

View the full article

Club Todd

I like Bowles a lot...but how funny is it to see the number of things he's done that were going to "go away" when Rex was gone?

- Geno named starter before a single pre-season snap is taken.

- Leonard Williams comes out after the draft and says Bowles told him he was going to draft him after all of the "Idiot buffoon is gone, now we have a real coach who won't promise a player he'll be drafted"

- Cromartie goes on the radio and calls out an opposing player while Colon is publicly putting everything on Geno's shoulders (which I like a lot...gotta turn up the pressure on the kid).

- No more days off...all football all the time, the adults are in charge now and there will be no time to relax at "Club Rex"

Just goes to show that a lot of stuff that went on under Rex goes on with a lot of coaches.  I didn't hate Rex for giving players a day off or telling players he liked them before the draft so obviously no issues with Bowles doing the same thing.

I'm just glad Bowles comes across as a HC who will be more willing to hold players accountable for their mistakes and he's taking an interest in the offense.  Those were probably the things I liked least about Rex.

Oh...and I'm pumped for camp too...season can't get here soon enough!

I like Bowles a lot...but how funny is it to see the number of things he's done that were going to "go away" when Rex was gone?

- Leonard Williams comes out after the draft and says Bowles told him he was going to draft him after all of the "Idiot buffoon is gone, now we have a real coach who won't promise a player he'll be drafted"

- Cromartie goes on the radio and calls out an opposing player while Colon is publicly putting everything on Geno's shoulders (which I like a lot...gotta turn up the pressure on the kid).

- No more days off...all football all the time, the adults are in charge now and there will be no time to relax at "Club Rex"

Just goes to show that a lot of stuff that went on under Rex goes on with a lot of coaches.  I didn't hate Rex for giving players a day off or telling players he liked them before the draft so obviously no issues with Bowles doing the same thing.

I'm just glad Bowles comes across as a HC who will be more willing to hold players accountable for their mistakes and he's taking an interest in the offense.  Those were probably the things I liked least about Rex.

I like him too.  He seems to say all the right things and everybody seems to respect him.  I prefer a defensive coach and the fact that Bowles is a defensive coach, but pays attention to the offense could be a huge improvement.  There is just too much adoration from nothing.  He will have to prove it on the field.  I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that.

I responded to post earlier that said that Bowles was way better than Rex because (among other things) he "used every second of practice to coach and teach"  by quoting that they had the day off.  The response?  "So? Everybody does that."

I like him too.  He seems to say all the right things and everybody seems to respect him.  I'd prefer a defensive coach and the fact that Bowles is a defensive coach, but pays attention to the offense could be a huge improvement.  There is just too much adoration from nothing.  He will have to prove it on the field.  I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that.

I responded to post earlier that said that Bowles was way better than Rex because (among other things) he "used every second of practice to coach and teach"  by quoting that they had the day off.  The response?  So? Everybody does that.

+1 Also this is a stronger team that Rex took to two AFCCG's with more experience at the QB position..

I like him too.  He seems to say all the right things and everybody seems to respect him.  I'd prefer a defensive coach and the fact that Bowles is a defensive coach, but pays attention to the offense could be a huge improvement.  There is just too much adoration from nothing.  He will have to prove it on the field.  I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that.

I responded to post earlier that said that Bowles was way better than Rex because (among other things) he "used every second of practice to coach and teach"  by quoting that they had the day off.  The response?  So? Everybody does that.

Can't help but laugh.  This place would have gone nuts if Rex was still here and they drafted a D-lineman in the first round.  New reigme?  It's brilliant!

I love the pick myself, but the hypocrisy is hilarious.

+1 Also this is a stronger team that Rex took to two AFCCG's with more experience at the QB position..

Much stronger team up and down the roster with the exception of O-line.  Not that it's a bad line, it's just not as stacked as the AFCCG lines.

Can't help but laugh.  This place would have gone nuts if Rex was still here and they drafted a D-lineman in the first round.  New reigme?  It's brilliant!

I love the pick myself, but the hypocrisy is hilarious.

I don't think many would have had a big problem if the old regime was still here and drafted Williams. There really wasn't much choice there, if you value your draft board. At the same time, I wasn't ecstatic when Mac and Bowles picked Williams either. They couldn't just pass him up. Is there hypocrisy on this board? Sure is. But I can think of more annoying things than hypocrisy on this board.

Just sayin.

Oh...and I'm pumped for camp too...season can't get here soon enough!

The HC changes but the fan complaints remain? 

Almost all of these things would have happened no matter the HC.  Fans expect to see a radically different offseason dont get the point of a new HC, its the locker, the philosophies and the in game decisions.  Its not that we get pissed that the only real option at QB, the returning starter, is said to have the job unless he loses it.  Which of course is far different than he has been given the job as youre saying.  Why is it a problem that the HC tells the number 1 prospect in the draft that if he falls to 6 we'll take him?  Who wouldnt?  Cro on the radio?  Please.  Colon, hope he was told to STFU, we don't know that he wasnt.  Days off?  You know how hard, how they worked at OTA's?  But a day off for guys who many of which wont be here and its an issue?  Really?  Actually when did Rex give the team too much time off?  You're imagining problems that arent there and then questioning why they're present with a new HC.  

Any idea when training camp starts? Last year I think it was the last week of July. I'm trying to plan when to visit the northeast and want to see it opening day for fans again. I'm surprised they haven't said anything yet.

Any idea when training camp starts? Last year I think it was the last week of July. I'm trying to plan when to visit the northeast and want to see it opening day for fans again. I'm surprised they haven't said anything yet.

If I'm not mistaken.... Pa. is in the North East. This coming from a guy in Pa.

I get the gist of your statement though.... just being a smart ass! :winking0001:

If I'm not mistaken.... Pa. is in the North East. This coming from a guy in Pa.

I get the gist of your statement though.... just being a smart ass! :winking0001:

Haha yes sir it is. My username will be a sham until next summer. I should currently be Jet In WestTexas

My fiancé is from here and she had some family things to attend to and I ended up in the oilfield until next summer which will be three years. Growing up in that part of the country spoils you and you realize it when you move to the desert.

I like him too.  He seems to say all the right things and everybody seems to respect him.  I prefer a defensive coach and the fact that Bowles is a defensive coach, but pays attention to the offense could be a huge improvement.  There is just too much adoration from nothing.  He will have to prove it on the field.  I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that.

I responded to post earlier that said that Bowles was way better than Rex because (among other things) he "used every second of practice to coach and teach"  by quoting that they had the day off.  The response?  "So? Everybody does that."

Big difference between what Bowles did and what Rex continues to do. Bowles gave the last day of OTAs off which was not a practice but an independent work out day. Rex gives scheduled OTA practices off.

The HC changes but the fan complaints remain? 

Almost all of these things would have happened no matter the HC.  Fans expect to see a radically different offseason dont get the point of a new HC, its the locker, the philosophies and the in game decisions.  Its not that we get pissed that the only real option at QB, the returning starter, is said to have the job unless he loses it.  Which of course is far different than he has been given the job as youre saying.  Why is it a problem that the HC tells the number 1 prospect in the draft that if he falls to 6 we'll take him?  Who wouldnt?  Cro on the radio?  Please.  Colon, hope he was told to STFU, we don't know that he wasnt.  Days off?  You know how hard, how they worked at OTA's?  But a day off for guys who many of which wont be here and its an issue?  Really?  Actually when did Rex give the team too much time off?  You're imagining problems that arent there and then questioning why they're present with a new HC.  

You completely misinterpreted my comment...100% off the mark.

My fiancé is from here and she had some family things to attend to and I ended up in the oilfield until next summer which will be three years. Growing up in that part of the country spoils you and you realize it when you move to the desert.

The money's pretty good from what I hear. A young kid who works for me was thinking of taking his welding skills to the oil fields but then decided not to.... what advice would you give him? I won't pass it on... just curious what you think?

Not really, was making an observation about fans in general.  

You said head coach changes but complaints remain the same?  Other than that I agree with most of what you said.

My whole point was that there are very few complaints right now...myself included.  I like the vast majority of what the Jets have done so far this offseason, but I find it funny that a lot of the same stuff was done by the previous guy and people said it was a clear sign of incompetence.  Now, it's pure genius.

You said head coach changes but complaints remain the same?  Other than that I agree with most of what you said.

My whole point was that there are very few complaints right now...myself included.  I like the vast majority of what the Jets have done so far this offseason, but I find it funny that a lot of the same stuff was done by the previous guy and people said it was a clear sign of incompetence.  Now, it's pure genius.

Im saying that all of the complaints you listed have cropped up here and elsewhere.  I'm agreeing with you, think those arguments are meaningless too.  Nothing to do with why a change was needed and what needs to be accomplished.  We're not going to win or lose a game because they had an off day from OTAs or because Cro said something in response to a question about Sherman.  Thats why I said the fanbase remains the same, the same people whining are still whining.  And will, no matter who the HC is

The money's pretty good from what I hear. A young kid who works for me was thinking of taking his welding skills to the oil fields but then decided not to.... what advice would you give him? I won't pass it on... just curious what you think?

Well if he can weld he can make money anywhere but they're treated pretty well across the boards in the oilfield. Pipelining is obviously a big part of it but they're needed to do a lot of things. I learned how to weld due to the lack of stability as more of a fall back. It's a great trade to know regardless.

the money from oil fields is amazing in the south. It's every young man's goal around here. I wouldn't pass on it. You'll be gone for a month and back for 2 weeks or so but it's EXCELLENT money and I don't know many men that haven't worked in the oil field before around here. It's just the #1 job to have right now.

the money from oil fields is amazing in the south. It's every young man's goal around here. I wouldn't pass on it. You'll be gone for a month and back for 2 weeks or so but it's EXCELLENT money and I don't know many men that haven't worked in the oil field before around here. It's just the #1 job to have right now.

Do you have a specific Company that may be hiring. I'll pass it along to him. what State is booming in the South? I'm only familiar with the Midwest states (Dakotas)

Archived