Sox hire The Big Dombrowski

PFSIKH

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/13465358/boston-red-sox-hire-dave-dombrowksi-president-baseball-operations

Dombrowski In; Cherington out = Good Move.

Granted, any move to replace Cherington would be a good move.

Come on now, you're being very myopic. Let's not pretend that Ben Cherington wasn't a huge part in garnering the Red Sox 3 titles in 10 years. Sure a lot of his recent acquisitions didn't pan out and have made the team finish last in 2 of the 3 (soon to be 3 of the last 4) years, but Lucchino and the ownership group has to take that on the chin as well. They're always pushing the GM to get guys like Crawford, Ramirez, etc. That kind of mentality hasn't worked out. You would have figured after the Crawford, Gonzalez debacle they would have learned. And the way they treated Lester was criminal.

They need to find a few pitchers, dump Sandoval or Ramirez on someone and move forward with the youth that has looked pretty impressive this summer. The cupboard isn't bare and with only a few tweaks this team can be a contender next season and moving forward.

Come on now, you're being very myopic. Let's not pretend that Ben Cherington wasn't a huge part in garnering the Red Sox 3 titles in 10 years. Sure a lot of his recent acquisitions didn't pan out and have made the team finish last in 2 of the 3 (soon to be 3 of the last 4) years, but Lucchino and the ownership group has to take that on the chin as well. They're always pushing the GM to get guys like Crawford, Ramirez, etc. That kind of mentality hasn't worked out. You would have figured after the Crawford, Gonzalez debacle they would have learned. And the way they treated Lester was criminal.

They need to find a few pitchers, dump Sandoval or Ramirez on someone and move forward with the youth that has looked pretty impressive this summer. The cupboard isn't bare and with only a few tweaks this team can be a contender next season and moving forward.

I am not saying Lucchino and higher are not culpable.  They are.  I do not think Cherington was running the show all by his lonesome.

My knock on him are moves like signing Pablo and Hanley.  I get signing one and ignoring their antics and/or habits, but both?  It made no sense.  Put Hanley in left and take one of the yound guys off the field everyday.  He did similar baffling moves last year.

He deserves credit, but maybe like some professional HC/managers, he rose to the level of his incompetence. 

It shouldn't. Anyone they bring in will not be making the decisions. Dombrowski will be calling the shots. That's why Ben left. He didn't want to be cut off at the knees.

I fail to see what is so special about Dave Dombrowski. He was in Detroit for 15 years and spent a lot of money on a team that usually underachieved . Guy couldn't build a bullpen to save his life.

I fail to see what is so special about Dave Dombrowski. He was in Detroit for 15 years and spent a lot of money on a team that usually underachieved . Guy couldn't build a bullpen to save his life.

He also built them from a team that lost 119 games in season 2.

A couple of WS runs and 4 straight division titles until this year means he has a ton more experience then Cherington.

Didn't he give Verlander 200 million?

And that awful extension for Cabrera when he was years away?  He has handicapped that team for years to come.

Didn't he give Verlander 200 million?

And that awful extension for Cabrera when he was years away? He has handicapped that team for years to come.

Because Cashman has been so good with the Steinbrenner money? How much did Jeter make while handicapping his team the last few years? How much is CC making now? How much is still owed to A-Rod? Come on now.

He also built them from a team that lost 119 games in season 2.

A couple of WS runs and 4 straight division titles until this year means he has a ton more experience then Cherington.

This would scare me if I was Red Sox fan, their old approach only ended the curse of the Bambino and won 3 World Series.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/red-sox-hire-dave-dombrowski-signal-change-in-philosophy/

Because Cashman has been so good with the Steinbrenner money? How much did Jeter make while handicapping his team the last few years? How much is CC making now? How much is still owed to A-Rod? Come on now.

What makes you think I like Cashman?

Pointing out one mediocre GM doesn't make another one better.

This would scare me if I was Red Sox fan, their old approach only ended the curse of the Bambino and won 3 World Series.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/red-sox-hire-dave-dombrowski-signal-change-in-philosophy/

Yeah, it was also helpful they had talent.

The bottomline is the Henry/Luccino/Cherington way was not working.

The Sox had one last place finish from the 30s until 2011.  They are on pace for their third in the last four. 

Theo looks better and better everyday.

Yeah, it was also helpful they had talent.

The bottomline is the Henry/Luccino/Cherington way was not working.

The Sox had one last place finish from the 30s until 2011. They are on pace for their third in the last four.

Theo looks better and better everyday.

Because the Cubs aren't messing with Theo like the meddling Sox ownership did.

Do as you please. Just know your own team is guilty of exactly the same stuff.

Ok.

The Yankees got way more out of CC than the Tigers have gotten from the Verlander extension.   The Cabrera extension made zero sense.  That does not make for a great endorsement for a GM.   The Angels GM also gave out some terrible contract.   Way too much for Albert, and the Josh Hamilton may be the worst FA signing in history.

Archived