2016 NFL Free Agency: Offensive Line Overview ~ ~ ~

kelly

you know all this talk about the Jets offensive line 

they are actually doing a great job. 

if you look around the league, few if any lines are better than the Jets right now. 

no one has a Mangold. less than half have a reliable LT like Brick. They are underrated by fans, chronically. 

like we see the first half against the Giants and think they are terrible, but actually, they are like 2nd in the league in sacks allowed. 

if you look around the league, few if any lines are better than the Jets right now. 

no one has a Mangold. less than half have a reliable LT like Brick. They are underrated by fans, chronically. 

like we see the first half against the Giants and think they are terrible, but actually, they are like 2nd in the league in sacks allowed. 

right about Mangold. wrong about Brick. Brick has slipped in a major way.

he's never missed a snap since he's been drafted. He isn't slipping. He is who he is a finesse player who is reliable. 

never missing a snap isn't the problem. Or could be.. point his he is old and slow and I have specifically watched him throughout our last three games and he gets beat an awful lot. The main reason Fitz doesn't get sacked is because he already knows where to go with the ball.

We need to replace Winters and Beno. That side of the line has been destroyed by the Raiders, Texans,  and Giants. I am sure Im missing some other games but those really stood out. Mangold is still a beast and I love Carpenter. Brick is Brick. He has some bad moments but is still ultra consistent and does not miss a game. We will have our two lifetime Jets for the next 3-5 years. Brick will restructure his deal, I have no doubt. We need to upgrade the other side of the line.

We need to replace Winters and Beno. That side of the line has been destroyed by the Raiders, Texans,  and Giants. 

Winters was never supposed to start. Agree that there's an upgrade needed on the right side. But i still think this line is clearly among the league's better units. Look around. 

It's weird that we remember the Giants getting pressure in the first half but we forget how the line was a convoy for all the Bilal Powell screens in the second half. The Jets line helps this team win games.

Bitonti I agree they are a decent/average group. We could have a lot worse. I am also aware Colon was our starting guard which in my opinion was the one fault I can come up with Mac in the offseason. They have done an outstanding job keeping Fitz on his feet (Giants had 3 sacks) all year, but we also have been exposed in many games this year. As far as the screens, those are by design. I still would love an upgrade for Winter and Beno. We can all acknowledge if we can strengthen that side the O will be even more formidable. Listen we are playing with, with who we have. I think the line is good enough to get us to playoffs and cause noise. I also think another factor is Chan's offense (getting the ball out quickly) and Fitz's quick release and not holding onto the ball.

We can all acknowledge if we can strengthen that side the O will be even more formidable. 

Agree but they did try. Look at all the draft picks on that position: Winters, Oday (now starting for Houston), Dozier, Jarvis Harrison. Even Vlad (who is now starting for the bears). Lots of swings and misses. You'd think one of these would be a starter, at least at guard. 

Par for the course, really. FO has us as excellent in pass protection and bad in the run game. And while they score direction over individuals, the left side of our line has not scored well at all. I think we're something like second in the league in false starts, which certainly doesn't help.

Archived