Bryce Petty.. 2016 expectations ? ? ?

kelly

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

~ ~  7. Happy feet : The Jets are optimistic about Petty's chances of developing into a starter some day, but Petty must improve his pocket presence. Bowles said, "When he gets pressure, he becomes antsy and his feet start moving." Bowles said Petty must do a better job of finding his check-down receivers. This will be a tremendously important offseason for the second-year QB.

rest of above article : 

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59304/rex-ryans-hope-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-leaves-jets-for-another-team

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Geno Smith is still on the roster when preseason rolls around the prospect of Petty being the guy is next to zero. If he hasn't beaten out a bum like Geno by then, he is not any good. I read an article where Mac says he gets "happy feet" when pressured in the pocket. That is a very bad thing. Not like Peyton Manning who's feet move at light speed because he is ready at any moment to throw with his feet planted beneath him, but just jumpy. He MUST overcome that or be resigned to the scrap heap.

On 3/20/2016 at 2:10 PM, Tinstar said:

The way this team has been looking at every QB prospect from  any place they can get a scout . Also something Brandon Marshal said in an interview when he was asked about Petty . 

Marshall is just trying to lobby for Fitzpatrick. I don't think it has anything to do with Petty's ability, though that is still in question. IMO if he hasn't replaced Geno Smith by preseason, he is NOT the guy.

• 3 months later...

A month out from his second professional training camp with the Jets, quarterback Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif has a better understanding of Chan Gailey's offense. In order to become a successful NFL passer though, Petty knows his learning must extend well beyond his side of the ball.“As far as my graduation process, to me it’s pre-snap,” Petty said. “[Last year] I was thinking about what our play was instead of just reading the defense. I think that pre-snap is that next level up and I’m getting there. I’m starting to see things a lot better, the ball is coming out a lot quicker and I just feel better about the whole process.”

While a more complete evaluation won’t come until later this summer, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo has already seen mental improvements in Petty’s game.“He’s grown with the offense,” Patullo said this spring. “So his knowledge of what’s happening and being able to call plays and just talk through things on film of what happened on the field, just his reaction to things has grown. It’s like a foreign language when you first learn it in year one, so year two you should be better – and he is.”

Petty, who set 31 records at Baylor including an NCAA record 1.8% career interception rate. During the spring, Petty led the second-team offense and felt like he took a step forward.“Really just the whole time being in there I felt way more comfortable,” Petty said. “Just scripts, getting in and out of huddles, defenses, throws, knowing to expect, the whole nine yards.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Petty-Looking-to-Take-His-Game-to-‘Next-Level’/4ba7c30f-28a8-4a39-8ff0-f30e50cda47a

Bryce Petty expectations for 2016- Jets practice squad . 2016  NFL Madden player  of the year.

If not Fitzpatrick , you can expect the Jets to bring in a veteran Qb at some point.   Geno smith, Veteran Qb( Fitzpatrick - starter), and C Hackenberg ( developmental Qb) will be the three Qb's . No team can afford to put two developmental types on their 53 man roster.

Can't go into the season with Hackenberg or Petty as the backup.( neither is ready to play).

12 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Bryce Petty expectations for 2016- Jets practice squad . 2016  NFL Madden player  of the year.

If not Fitzpatrick , you can expect the Jets to bring in a veteran Qb at some point.   Geno smith, Veteran Qb( Fitzpatrick - starter), and C Hackenberg ( developmental Qb) will be the three Qb's . No team can afford to put two developmental types on their 53 man roster.

Can't go into the season with Hackenberg or Petty as the backup.( neither is ready to play).

Thank you for the analytical insight, Raiderholic. I don't think any of us had considered these points prior to you explaining them.

45 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Thank you for the analytical insight, Raiderholic. I don't think any of us had considered these points prior to you explaining them.

The point there was with the new rules it's hard  for NFL teams to find the time to develop one- Developmental Qb prospect ( not enough practice  time) .    Almost impossible for them to develop two.  ( this isn't NFL Europe) c Hackenberg being the higher draft choice, supplements Bryce Petty as the developmental prospect on their roster.

Once Hackenberg was drafted , it started the clock ticking on Bryce Petty Jrt career.

• 2 weeks later...

@domcosentino All coach platitudes aside, how confident are the Jets that Geno or Bryce can be successful if Fitz isn't resigned ?

They're confident enough not to blink in the Ryan Fitzpatrick negotiations for this long. Remember, Smith was going to be the starter last year before IK Enemkpali's fist intervened. And if it hasn't been made clear before, it ought to be clear now that the Jets' scheme and personnel is far better now than it was when Smith was scuffling along as the starter in 2013 and '14. And those factors had a lot to do with Fitzpatrick's success last year. Does that mean Smith absolutely will thrive if he winds up being the guy? Of course not. But the Jets seem to think he can be better, given what's around him. And there will be no way to know if they're right unless and until he's under center during the regular season.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/how_much_faith_do_jets_have_in_geno_smith_mailbag.html#incart_river_index

Archived