Wilkerson deal; what does this say about Macc & front office?

Paradis

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Good post Rangers9, pretty much agree with everything you said.

I don't think there is another team in the league that gets rid of very good players sooner rather than later.

Milloy, McGinst, Law, Seymour and Chandler.

None of those moves have hurt the Pats.

And chandler might be the only player who falls into the very good catagory as opposed to well past prime and due money.  

Go sell that shlt somewhere else old man

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:17 AM, Paradis said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around just what the heck these guys are doing and their style/strategy... I'm somewhere between mesmerized and stumped.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that we resigned Mo Wilk. I'm all about signing homegrown talent. 100% it's the way to to go. But I can't read the tea leaves or tarot cards.

1- he was dangled heavily as trade bait... Was that legit? Or was that just checking to see value for contract reasons?

2- if they always wanted to resign Mo, and picked up Sheldon's 5th year, then why did we draft Williams? There's a fine line between depth and redundancy. The difference between having Mo, Sheldon and Williams -- and having Mo, Sheldon and Gurley on Sundays is a question worth asking. That's the truth.

3- the decision to talking up Fitz as the desired starter, part of the plan after signing Mo Wilk? But why so public given how quiet he is about everything else.

Every time I think I have this guy figured out, something like this happens and I'm at a loss

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you make this post to further your "we should have drafted Gurley instead of Williams rant . 

We drafted Williams because he was the BPA on the board even if he wasn't our greatest need  .  Williams had a higher grade than Gurley and he was the right choice .Considering the propensity for injury and stupidity  with NFL players, I can't say I have an issue with how the Jets handled the whole Wilkerson Situation.

Did you make this post to further your "we should have drafted Gurley instead of Williams rant . 

We drafted Williams because he was the BPA on the board even if he wasn't our greatest need  .  Williams had a higher grade than Gurley and he was the right choice .Considering the propensity for injury and stupidity  with NFL players, I can't say I have an issue with how the Jets handled the whole Wilkerson Situation.

No I didn't. And I wish to fcking hell people could get over the Williams questions and actually address the whole post. I've never seen anything close to jets fans rushing to defend a pick like they do Williams.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

No I didn't. And I wish to fcking people could get over the Williams questions and actually the address the whole post. I've never seen anything close to jets fans rushing to defend a pick like they do Williams.

Easy there beloved  .  I wasn't coming at you or defending the pick of Williams . I happen to know how you felt/feel about Gurley and I myself wanted to take him until Williams fell into our laps . If you ask me today if Gurley would have made a bigger difference, I would have to say yes, but we took the BPA and I think it was the right thing to do .

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No I didn't. And I wish to fcking hell people could get over the Williams questions and actually address the whole post. I've never seen anything close to jets fans rushing to defend a pick like they do Williams.

even if they deferred from Williams, they weren't going to draft Gurley there.

Easy there beloved  .  I wasn't coming at you or defending the pick of Williams . I happen to know how you felt/feel about Gurley and I myself wanted to take him until Williams fell into our laps . If you ask me today if Gurley would have made a bigger difference, I would have to say yes, but we took the BPA and I think it was the right thing to do .

I didn't mean to direct that at you completely. I've posited this topic in a few places and it's like no one can get past the Williams portion. We have 3 first round 3-4 DEs on the roster. It's going to be part of any discussion involving fallout of wilk's deal.

I think it simply says that, Macc is not going to allow himself to be swayed by externals like media and rumor and whether good or bad, he's been molded in the image of great executives and is extremely adept at navigating his role. We will see how his personnel work out, but he's definitely got the political skills to navigate Jets Landing. He has earned the right to be referred to as Lord Macc until further notice. 

On July 16, 2016 at 9:09 AM, slats said:

I'm impressed with Mac's ability to get this massive deal done completely under the radar. I read a few days ago that Wilk's camp was expecting a last minute offer - and that's all I heard. I mean, it's not just the Rex years, this team has been all about very public flashy news going back to Herm. These guys are all business. Loved that news of this deal came right on the heels of Cimini reporting there would be no deal. 

I think the Jets very much did want to trade Mo, though. Mac failed to get his asking price and had to regroup. Having him signed long term is better than having him play on the tag for a year or two before losing him for nothing but a comp pick down the road, so he got it done. Mo's a great player, a total professional on and off the field, really the exact kinda guy you wanna give big money to. 

Having Mo, Sheldon, and the Big Cat continues to be a good problem to have. This contract will look like a bargain by the time we start talking about extending Williams. 

This. It's like, trading Mo for a beast in a position of need would've been perfect, but now the situation is just very good. 

Having a core of your draft picks to build around is incredibly refreshing. 

17 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Another piece of the puzzle here is I have not seen any word about what Wilkerson was asking for.  Has that not come out?

Would be interesting. Not just what he was looking for now (we know what they settled upon), but right before he was tagged, what he was seeking in 2015, and in 2014 before that. Doubt we'll get such insight leaked. There isn't much incentive for either side to leak terms of a deal that didn't happen. From Mo's side, because it highlights how he didn't get what he wanted; from the Jets, because it puts down Mo by showing he didn't get what he wanted. Right now both sides are happy, and leaking the "what Mo didn't get this year" number(s) wouldn't aid in that warm+fuzzy feeling they have going on now.

Maybe it could get leaked if only balanced by also leaking the lower number Maccagnan wanted (and earlier offered & was shot down). I take for granted Mo was ideally seeking more than this amount, and the Jets were hoping to lock him up for less than this amount. I agree it would be interesting to find out the actual desired numbers, though.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Would be interesting. Not just what he was looking for now (we know what they settled upon), but right before he was tagged, what he was seeking in 2015, and in 2014 before that. Doubt we'll get such insight leaked. There isn't much incentive for either side to leak terms of a deal that didn't happen. From Mo's side, because it highlights how he didn't get what he wanted; from the Jets, because it puts down Mo by showing he didn't get what he wanted. Right now both sides are happy, and leaking the "what Mo didn't get this year" number(s) wouldn't aid in that warm+fuzzy feeling they have going on now.

Maybe it could get leaked if only balanced by also leaking the lower number Maccagnan wanted (and earlier offered & was shot down). I take for granted Mo was ideally seeking more than this amount, and the Jets were hoping to lock him up for less than this amount. I agree it would be interesting to find out the actual desired numbers, though.

I think we have to assume that he was asking for more.  The real question is how much more.  I think this is relevant because while I am happy they were able to come to a deal that both sides are happy with (as seems to be the case), the one thing that is still disturbing is why it took so long.  If it took so long because Wilk's side had to take that time and conclude the Jets' offer was good enough, that would be one thing.  But if the number was actually close to what he ended up getting, that would make somewhat less sense to me.

You are probably right as to the why of why this does not seem to have come out.

Mac is trying to save face. The simple fact is this team will suck this season and Mac knows it. On top of that, he could quite possibly screw the pooch in reference to Ryan Fitzpatrick and that will surely put him in the crosshairs of just about every Jets fan a few pathetic dingbats aside. Like has been mentioned in so many words many times before, if the Jets suffer through a losing season, and they will, regardless of Fitz is their QB or not. AND Mac decides to let Fitz go permanently??? Then Geno starts playing like the total POS he's always been? Mac is on his way OUT. He just signed his own f*cking death warrant.

Archived