Mecca's Camp Notes (8/13 & 8/14)

Mecca

Hey guys, for those that don't know, it's K-Ro 25 from JI, and I'd try to annually take notes. This is what I took away from the 2 practices. 

QB

Fitzpatrick - We know who Fitzpatrick is by now, so I won't spend too much time on him. What gives him the edge over Geno Smith is his accuracy on short throws as well as his timing with the receivers. Fitz ended the second day of practice with a beauty 50 yarder to Decker.  He still throws one or two horrific passes into double coverage a practice which frustrates me, but, all in all, was the best QB in camp.

Geno - I like Geno more than most on this board, but he frustrates me still. He threw multiple rifles to Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, and Ross, but then throws an easy pick to a linebacker hiding in coverage.I still believe Geno is improved more so than the past few years, but at the same time, has to minimize making foolish throws. 

Petty - Really inconsistant, but really flashed his second practice. Getting reps with the second team really improved his confidence. Really had an amazing second practice. His arm strength was definitely on display in the second practice. 

My opinion: Jets are keeping 4 QB's. Hackenberg is getting almost 0 reps and Bryce is getting some reps with the 2's as well. My take is that management understands Fitzpatrick's injury history and fully expects Geno to start a few games. If Geno struggles, I can see Petty filling in. I'd be extremely surprised if we cut Petty. QB's are too valuable, especially with his raw talent. 

RB's:

Lache Seastrunk popped off the field the second practice. I loved him in college. Really explosive athlete whom keeps his pads low.

Powell is essentially going to be our 3rd receiver. Ran a ton of plays for Powell. 

They weren't in pads both days so it's hard to judge backs really.

WR's:
Fitzpatrick LOVES Decker.  Fitz probably targeted Deck more so than Marshall. Decker in the slot around the red-zone was an almost automatic 7 points.

Marshall is shredded this year. He looks noticeably quicker. You can see he's really determined this year.

Jalin Marshall can play man. Made a plethora of nice grabs and should be a lock to make the roster. He probably has the most elusiveness of any player on our roster. He should be our KR/PR as well as our 3rd receiver.

Ross is built like an inside line backer. Really think his value can be on special teams. Can pretty much play him on all ST units with his built. Very useful player to have.

Peake might be the best receiver out of the 4 kids, but I'm not sure if he has the same special teams value as the others.

Robbie Anderson looked really good. Beat his man consistently both practices, but he's 120 pounds soaking wet. Would like to PS him and get him on a diet/gym plan. Kid is real tall and quick. 

TE's:

Enunwa is a Tight End in my book. He doesn't play WR at all anymore. He's strictly an H-Back. Really impressed me, got a TON of targets in practice and ran almost exclusively with the 1st team. They love him on seam routes and slants. Got a few chunk plays and is really built like a linebacker.

Amaro is on the chopping block guys. Got 0 first team reps and barely any targets with the 2nd team. Sudfeld was splitting 2nd team reps and getting more targets than Jace. Amaro had a chance to make a great play in the endzone on a beauty from Geno and kinda just stabbed at it like a fat kid. He's not athletic as Enunwa and you can even argue Enunwa is the better blocker. 

Offensive line looked pretty good. The RT position has held up pretty well. Another position hard to gage without pads. I will say the backup center position is a major concern. Our 2nd team offense had a handful of bad snaps. 

Defense:

Defensive line was difficult to judge without full pads.

LB's:

I'll continue to say, this is our team's most improved unit. Jenkins, Carter, Lee, and Mauldin all play with a motor. Mauldin beat Clady one or two times for a would be strip on Fitz. Both of our outside linebackers are motor players. That's exactly what you want in a 3-4 defense when you have a defensive line than can take on multiple lineman and even get after the passer.

Darron Lee is going to have a big role on this team. I really hope he's ready to rumble on week one, because his value to this team right now is immense to our success. He flys around the field as our Deone Buchannon and is at his best covering running backs in the flats. Stopping Gio Bernard and Shady McCoy weeks 1-2 are going to be an issue. Enter Lee.

Secondary:

Skrine had a dazzling pick 6 and is a really solid player. I'm perfectly comfortable with moving Skrine outside and letting Marcus Williams play the slot. Williams has the nickel job locked up. 

Milliner is on the roster bubble. Was demoted to playing 3rd string. McDougle impressed me and I expect him to make the roster.

Calvin Pryor is going to continue to improve. Had a superb interception and was all over the field. When the pads are on, he's a player that only improves. Excited to watch his growth.

Rontez Miles had solid coverage both practices and believe he'll be our 3rd safety. 

Would've liked to give a more in depth review, but I'm at work right now, and my memory has evaporated from me. Any questions just ask!

I still can't believe we drafted Jace Amaro over Allen Robinson.  I was SCREAMING for Robinson. Could you imagine what this team could do if we had Marshall and Robinson on the outside and we pushed Decker in the slot with Enunwa in the H-Back roll.

Oh good lawd I'm sweating thinking about it and crying because it will never come to fruition.

Is Jarvis Harrison even out there?  Our 5th rounder last year....he hasn't been on the injury report and I didn't see him get a snap last game, random UDFA's were getting work on the OLine.

I think Peake looked better than Marshall at wideout.  Marshall had 2.5 drops (2 alligator arms and 1 tough but catchable Geno route).  He also got caught on the big kick return but that's ok.  

I think Jace has a role on the team - he looked great running routes on Friday night. 

Rontez Miles has looked like a ST captain thus far and a decent thumper backup safety - I wonder who will get that other backup Safety spot - Middleton was a high priority UDFA.

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

Hey guys, for those that don't know, it's K-Ro 25 from JI, and I'd try to annually take notes. This is what I took away from the 2 practices. 

QB

Fitzpatrick - We know who Fitzpatrick is by now, so I won't spend too much time on him. What gives him the edge over Geno Smith is his accuracy on short throws as well as his timing with the receivers. Fitz ended the second day of practice with a beauty 50 yarder to Decker.  He still throws one or two horrific passes into double coverage a practice which frustrates me, but, all in all, was the best QB in camp.

Geno - I like Geno more than most on this board, but he frustrates me still. He threw multiple rifles to Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, and Ross, but then throws an easy pick to a linebacker hiding in coverage.I still believe Geno is improved more so than the past few years, but at the same time, has to minimize making foolish throws. 

Petty - Really inconsistant, but really flashed his second practice. Getting reps with the second team really improved his confidence. Really had an amazing second practice. His arm strength was definitely on display in the second practice. 

My opinion: Jets are keeping 4 QB's. Hackenberg is getting almost 0 reps and Bryce is getting some reps with the 2's as well. My take is that management understands Fitzpatrick's injury history and fully expects Geno to start a few games. If Geno struggles, I can see Petty filling in. I'd be extremely surprised if we cut Petty. QB's are too valuable, especially with his raw talent. 

RB's:

Lache Seastrunk popped off the field the second practice. I loved him in college. Really explosive athlete whom keeps his pads low.

Powell is essentially going to be our 3rd receiver. Ran a ton of plays for Powell. 

They weren't in pads both days so it's hard to judge backs really.

WR's:
Fitzpatrick LOVES Decker.  Fitz probably targeted Deck more so than Marshall. Decker in the slot around the red-zone was an almost automatic 7 points.

Marshall is shredded this year. He looks noticeably quicker. You can see he's really determined this year.

Jalin Marshall can play man. Made a plethora of nice grabs and should be a lock to make the roster. He probably has the most elusiveness of any player on our roster. He should be our KR/PR as well as our 3rd receiver.

Ross is built like an inside line backer. Really think his value can be on special teams. Can pretty much play him on all ST units with his built. Very useful player to have.

Peake might be the best receiver out of the 4 kids, but I'm not sure if he has the same special teams value as the others.

Robbie Anderson looked really good. Beat his man consistently both practices, but he's 120 pounds soaking wet. Would like to PS him and get him on a diet/gym plan. Kid is real tall and quick. 

TE's:

Enunwa is a Tight End in my book. He doesn't play WR at all anymore. He's strictly an H-Back. Really impressed me, got a TON of targets in practice and ran almost exclusively with the 1st team. They love him on seam routes and slants. Got a few chunk plays and is really built like a linebacker.

Amaro is on the chopping block guys. Got 0 first team reps and barely any targets with the 2nd team. Sudfeld was splitting 2nd team reps and getting more targets than Jace. Amaro had a chance to make a great play in the endzone on a beauty from Geno and kinda just stabbed at it like a fat kid. He's not athletic as Enunwa and you can even argue Enunwa is the better blocker. 

Offensive line looked pretty good. The RT position has held up pretty well. Another position hard to gage without pads. I will say the backup center position is a major concern. Our 2nd team offense had a handful of bad snaps. 

Defense:

Defensive line was difficult to judge without full pads.

LB's:

I'll continue to say, this is our team's most improved unit. Jenkins, Carter, Lee, and Mauldin all play with a motor. Mauldin beat Clady one or two times for a would be strip on Fitz. Both of our outside linebackers are motor players. That's exactly what you want in a 3-4 defense when you have a defensive line than can take on multiple lineman and even get after the passer.

Darron Lee is going to have a big role on this team. I really hope he's ready to rumble on week one, because his value to this team right now is immense to our success. He flys around the field as our Deone Buchannon and is at his best covering running backs in the flats. Stopping Gio Bernard and Shady McCoy weeks 1-2 are going to be an issue. Enter Lee.

Secondary:

Skrine had a dazzling pick 6 and is a really solid player. I'm perfectly comfortable with moving Skrine outside and letting Marcus Williams play the slot. Williams has the nickel job locked up. 

Milliner is on the roster bubble. Was demoted to playing 3rd string. McDougle impressed me and I expect him to make the roster.

Calvin Pryor is going to continue to improve. Had a superb interception and was all over the field. When the pads are on, he's a player that only improves. Excited to watch his growth.

Rontez Miles had solid coverage both practices and believe he'll be our 3rd safety. 

Would've liked to give a more in depth review, but I'm at work right now, and my memory has evaporated from me. Any questions just ask!

Great read.  Thanks. 

Appreciate the write-up. 

Excellent point on keeping 4 QBs. Gene has significant value to this team MERELY due to the fact that Fitz is a Wild-card in terms of durability. Gene can step in for a few and Petty seems to be moving up from Single A ball to Triple A and would be the emergency contingency plan if BOTH Fitz and Geno go down - AND IT CAN HAPPEN: 2005 both Chad and Jay Fielder go down in game 3 in the SAME GAME and we deal with the likes of Bollywood#5, Cliff Kingsbury, and Vinny Off the Couch for the remainder of that season

I have to disagree on Amaro, he's basically in his 2nd year and has caught EVERYTHING tossed his way. He's too valuable as a RedZone Threat to be cut GOING into just his 3rd year. 

Archived