Looking at Macc's 2 drafts.

UnitedWhofans

36 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree this season sucked, but it doesn't mean Mac is doing a bad job. It takes time to add talent through the draft. Players take time to mature.  I happpen to think there are some players taken that are going to turn into pretty goo football players.

Oh boy. Good luck with this one. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Anyhow...not for me to change anything

It's all yours SOJF draftnick experts...

The GM Coaches and all the players get an F!! Fire everybody!!

I'll see if the atmosphere is any less polluted after the Big Game. Have a good January Sane Jet fans and hang in there

Can't blame you. Good idea. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Finding 1 impact player in 2 years with total whiffs in the 2nd round earns you a B?  

That's a very liberal grading scale. 

I'd say C-/D+ 

Robby Anderson, Shell, Leo, Carpenter the pros

Hack, Smith, Revis, Skrine, Cromartie, Fitz year 2, Harris, Gilchrist all cons.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Finding 1 impact player in 2 years with total whiffs in the 2nd round earns you a B?  

That's a very liberal grading scale. 

You call them whiffs. I am not penalizing a GM for injuries unless they are predictable. And Hackenberg is not a whiff because we haven't seen him

Generally speaking, you want about 2-3 starters per draft to be considered average (2 is slightly below average, 3 is slightly above average).  

This is usually considered on the 3-4 year horizon so that picks have the time to grow into their roles.

Right now, 2015 is looking to be a pretty large bust of a draft, with only Williams being an eventual starter.  Considering he was widely believed to be the surest thing in the draft, its hard not to be a little dissappointed here.

2016 is work in progress and obviously way too early to tell how things went.  Right now we have several potential longterm starters in Lee/Jenkins/Edwards and maybe Peake/Shell/Burris could emerge as well.  There is a lack of star power here, and we could of course end with zero starters over the long haul, but its simply too early to say.

Just now, Hael said:

Generally speaking, you want about 2-3 starters per draft to be considered average (2 is slightly below average, 3 is slightly above average).  

This is usually considered on the 3-4 year horizon so that picks have the time to grow into their roles.

Right now, 2015 is looking to be a pretty large bust of a draft, with only Williams being an eventual starter.  Considering he was widely believed to be the surest thing in the draft, its hard not to be a little dissappointed here.

2016 is work in progress and obviously way too early to tell how things went.  Right now we have several potential longterm starters in Lee/Jenkins/Edwards and maybe Peake/Shell/Burris could emerge as well.  There is a lack of star power here, and we could of course end with zero starters over the long haul, but its simply too early to say.

The rise of Deon Simon will save that draft from being a total waste though.

But IMO, the 2016 draft is better

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I'd say C-/D+ 

Robby Anderson, Shell, Leo, Carpenter the pros

Hack, Smith, Revis, Skrine, Cromartie, Fitz year 2, Harris, Gilchrist all cons.

If we are talking strictly draft a C-/D sounds right.  

You have Leo and a bunch of roster fodder.  His 1st this year is a spectator that can't do exactly what you drafted him to do.

Its been bad.  Mac lacks the ability to understand positional draft value and I'm not sure he has a great grasp on when and where he should take certain players (ie; Hack).

Its almost like Mac views that draft as a supplement to build around the current roster and his FA's rather than actually trying to build a deep talented team through the draft. 

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, you need fillers and have to build a team - but role players are much easier to find.  You can NOT win a Super Bowl without game changing, impact players.  Funny you bring up both Revis and Miller.

Do the Jets go to back-to-back championship games without Revis? Does Denver beat the Panthers and Pats last year without Von Miller?

You can't just create these guys. You need to either have them fall to you or you need to move up. When you have 20 holes to fill, you can't blow multiple picks on one guy unless it is an unbelievable value. Tanny went up and got Revis as he inherited a much better team. And then, traded here and traded there until the wheels fell off. So why get Revis now when you still need to build the rest of the secondary.

Sure you can buy them in FA; also, I would like to see which guy we should have gotten by trading up? Tenn wouldn't trade their pick 2 years ago, and apparently it was too expensive to trade up again. That is the funny thing with QBs; teams that draft #1 or #2 often need one and won't trade. Or, like with the Redskins, you trade away the next 3 years for RGIII.

Just now, JiF said:

You have Leo and a bunch of roster fodder.  His 1st this year is a spectator that can't do exactly what you drafted him to do.

Its been bad.  Mac lacks the ability to understand positional draft value and I'm not sure he has a great grasp on when and where he should take certain players (ie; Hack).

Its almost like Mac views that draft as a supplement to build around the current roster and his FA's rather than actually trying to build a deep talented team through the draft. 

I agree completely. He's been just as bad in free agency with the Fitz resigning being icing on the cake. 

I like Lee as a prospect. I really do. But in a 4-3 scheme. 3-4 ILB's need to be thumpers. Lee is a sideline to sideline player. Macc/Bowles is an awkward pair because Macc DIDN'T pick Bowles. Clueless organization.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agree 110% Macc looked for marquee signings to grandstand himself seeing Bilal Powell play the way he has recently makes me question the Forte signing. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree 110% Macc looked for marquee signings to grandstand himself seeing Bilal Powell play the way he has recently makes me question the Forte signing. 

More because they do the same thing, except Powell is younger and gets more yards after contact. Could've just drafted someone like Perkins or Jalen Richard later in the draft.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I believe I have graded very fairly, to be honest. I use stats and the eye test

Still don't like that Macc is being criticised in hindsight. That is not fair to do.

Bottom line is 5-11 season with a lot holes in the roster namely the QB position. 

Just now, Mecca said:

More because they do the same thing, except Powell is younger and gets more yards after contact. Could've just drafted someone like Perkins later in the draft.

The problem with Powell is durability. Forte had been durable in his career. Of Course, he gets injured, which I will not penalize Macc for

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem with Powell is durability. Forte had been durable in his career. Of Course, he gets injured, which I will not penalize Macc for

You're logic is flawed. Powell's durability has never been tested to be an issue. He's had a few minor injuries. Forte is a 30+ old back.

Older RB's such as Forte get broken down this team lacks a speedster multi dimensional RB out the backfield. 

46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait a minute so your saying Macc took a swing with the Hack pick and the Fitzpatrick signing. 

We need a GM who makes better decisions. 

2017 NFL season we still need a QB

Many of Macc's decisions were unduly influenced by Bowles and/or Woody.

I would put Revis, Fitz and not taking potential "Patriot" deals for Mo and SR in that category.

I think Bowles pushed to sign Cromartie (obv), Gilcrist (I believe he admitted it) and Skrine for his defense.

Bowles also pushed to Lee to be his Buchanan.    The jury is out on that.  The other picks were those two WRs or Lynch.  If they turn out much better than Lee, that is a black mark on Mac.  Lee is fast and is usually in the receiving target's backpocket.  That being said, I have seen said target catch the ball at least 20 times this past season.

Hack was an attempt to recreate the Derek Carr/Andy Dalton pick.  Why not try and get a Franchise QB for lower than a first round pick.  Dak Prescott is not helping that pick.  How that pick turns out will be Macc's legacy.  One way for Macc to help himself, Bowles and the team is to ensure that Hack is developed.  Hopefully he is working on that now.    They concluded that Lynch was not the answer-I think he reminded the Jets too much of Sanchez personality wise.  Other than Lynch, Macc has not passed up a potential QB.  He will get his chance.  Idzik passed up Bridgewater and Carr.  QBs to appear after the top 5 picks.

Williams was their BPA.  There were doubts about Beasley.  We thought Macc was brilliant picking up a Mauldin instead.  Mauldin was mismanaged.  If you let him rush the passer and then have Lee and Pryor play behind him, that works.  I believe that is what they did better last year.

Devin Smith was driven by someone, either Bowles or Gailey, to be the deep threat.  The Jets' Desean Jackson or Brandin Cooks.  On one hand we can judge this next year, but on the other he found Robbie Anderson.

Jarvis Harrison was just a complete brain meltdown, but Brandon Shell is looking like a real draft pick.  

Just now, Mecca said:

You're logic is flawed. Powell's durability has never been tested to be an issue. He's had a few minor injuries. Forte is a 30+ old back.

What happened last year in the last game of the year? Heck yesterday he looked hurt. I've seen several Jets people question his ability to take the workload

So we are more talented than the Jaguars and the Browns

Why do you and others compare us to other bottom feeder teams. 

I dont give a rats ass what other sh*tty teams are doing wrong the playoffs are whats its all about and we are sitting home again. 

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Many of Macc's decisions were unduly influenced by Bowles and/or Woody.

I would put Revis, Fitz and not taking potential "Patriot" deals for Mo and SR in that category.

I think Bowles pushed to sign Cromartie (obv), Gilcrist (I believe he admitted it) and Skrine for his defense.

Bowles also pushed to Lee to be his Buchanan.    The jury is out on that.  The other picks were those two WRs or Lynch.  If they turn out much better than Lee, that is a black mark on Mac.  Lee is fast and is usually in the receiving target's backpocket.  That being said, I have seen said target catch the ball at least 20 times this past season.

Hack was an attempt to recreate the Derek Carr/Andy Dalton pick.  Why not try and get a Franchise QB for lower than a first round pick.  Dak Prescott is not helping that pick.  How that pick turns out will be Macc's legacy.  One way for Macc to help himself, Bowles and the team is to ensure that Hack is developed.  Hopefully he is working on that now.    They concluded that Lynch was not the answer-I think he reminded the Jets too much of Sanchez personality wise.  Other than Lynch, Macc has not passed up a potential QB.  He will get his chance.  Idzik passed up Bridgewater and Carr.  QBs to appear after the top 5 picks.

Williams was their BPA.  There were doubts about Beasley.  We thought Macc was brilliant picking up a Mauldin instead.  Mauldin was mismanaged.  If you let him rush the passer and then have Lee and Pryor play behind him, that works.  I believe that is what they did better last year.

Devin Smith was driven by someone, either Bowles or Gailey, to be the deep threat.  The Jets' Desean Jackson or Brandin Cooks.  On one hand we can judge this next year, but on the other he found Robbie Anderson.

Jarvis Harrison was just a complete brain meltdown, but Brandon Shell is looking like a real draft pick.  

The coaching on this team drags everyone down.  Simon and Mauldin could be potential starters if coached properly.

1 minute ago, Mecca said:

I agree completely. He's been just as bad in free agency with the Fitz resigning being icing on the cake. 

I like Lee as a prospect. I really do. But in a 4-3 scheme. 3-4 ILB's need to be thumpers. Lee is a sideline to sideline player. Macc/Bowles is an awkward pair because Macc DIDN'T pick Bowles. Clueless organization.

Lee is an average player you can find in the 5th round.  He may stay in the league a while but he's not an impact player mostly because he doesn't play an impact position  (positional value). 

And that's why the 2nd round misses hurt a bad.  You can't build a talented team with 3rd to 7th round picks playing crucial roles in the growth of the team.  

The only thing I can say is that Todd Bowles is a moron.  So there is a chance that maybe one of these guys has a player in them but I have zero confidence that Bowles can pull it out of them.  

Bottom line is I don't penalize Macc for:

1.Hindsight criticism. It's a philosophy of mine. If you voted for Trump, you have no right to criticize him because you could have chosen somebody else.

2. Injuries, unless predictable. Milliner had an injury history. Smith didn't. Hence...

Just now, JiF said:

Lee is an average player you can find in the 5th round.  He may stay in the league a while but he's not an impact player mostly because he doesn't play an impact position  (positional value). 

And that's why the 2nd round misses hurt a bad.  You can't build a talented team with 3rd to 7th round picks playing crucial roles in the growth of the team.  

The only thing I can say is that Todd Bowles is a moron.  So there is a chance that maybe one of these guys has a player in them but I have zero confidence that Bowles can pull it out of them.  

Yep. I agree. My hope lies in that Bowles is so inept that he can't get the most out of these kids. Lee is a 4-3 ILB. I believe he'd shine in a 4-3. Pryor is a 4-3 OLB as well. Bowles is just inept.

1.Hindsight criticism. It's a philosophy of mine. If you voted for Trump, you have no right to criticize him because you could have chosen somebody else.

2. Injuries, unless predictable. Milliner had an injury history. Smith didn't. Hence...

Then you can't penalize Idzik for drafting Jace f*cking Amaro over Allen Robinson, Juice Landry, and Keenan Allen 

Macc hasnt done anything special that has helped  this team be successful and quite frankly many of his picks are very questionable. 

I didn't. He's still in the league, isn't he?

Wow. you are truly a terrible poster and lack basic football knowledge if you are defending the Jace Amaro pick. A bad GM is bad. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I got a lot of Sh*t in the offseason extolling Powell. A lot of fans feel Bilal is a jag & I thought he was our best RB. We lost every game he was hurt in 2015 & we're we don't win the 49ers game without him. Chan burned out Forte in the 1st two freaking games. This group needs to learn how to use their personel.

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Then you can't penalize Idzik for drafting Jace f*cking Amaro over Allen Robinson, Juice Landry, and Keenan Allen 

If you don't judge a GM in hindsight, how do you judge him? Wins?  The Jets have 5. 

Or you just give him a B for trying and give him a life time deal because it's not fair. 

Archived