How the Jets stunted Christian Hackenberg's growth in a lost season

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, August said:

So the guy with a history of violence even attacking beloved police officers is somehow in the right. 

No argument over the missed meeting no excuse for that. But missing 1 meeting doesn't make him a "malcontent".

And he was not kicked off an airplane he had his headphones on and he didn't hear the flight attendant, the situation escalated when the flight attendant snatched his headphones off. The airline later apologized. If you don't believe me I can link you the story. 

Todd Bowles and the Jets mismanaging the QB situation is an indictment on them. Funny enough when it was Petty in this situation the narrative was different...

but yes most of what you said made no sense. 

Wow. You're arguing a lot of points I never made. And then somehow bring up something about Petty? Talk about not making sense. Let's move on from the bust that is Geno smith. All he brings is pain and negativity. Time to move forward. Dwelling on how terrible he is does no one any good. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Wow. You're arguing a lot of points I never made. And then somehow bring up something about Petty? Talk about not making sense. Let's move on from the bust that is Geno smith. All he brings is pain and negativity. Time to move forward. Dwelling on how terrible he is does no one any good. 

Now you're playing dumb. What I did is called a counter argument. You reply, I rebuttal. You brought up him getting punched I responded to that point, you brought up the missing meetings, I responded to that, you brought up the airline situation, I responded to that, you brought up how the team had a lack of faith in him, I responded to that, then I used Petty to show the difference in the narratives when both of them were in the same situation. 

32 minutes ago, August said:

Now you're playing dumb. What I did is called a counter argument. You reply, I rebuttal. You brought up him getting punched I responded to that point, you brought up the missing meetings, I responded to that, you brought up the airline situation, I responded to that, you brought up how the team had a lack of faith in him, I responded to that, then I used Petty to show the difference in the narratives when both of them were in the same situation. 

There's no need to defend him anymore. You're free from your Geno fandom. He's gone. The Geno Error is over. Find a new player to be a fan of, maybe this time not one who was the worst in the league for two years. Choose wisely! Go Jets!

35 minutes ago, August said:

Geno has no future with this team because he is a poor QB who has not grown as a QB in the areas he is weak in.  All of the character stuff whether it be relevant or overblown is just salad dressing.  His strengths he had as  a rookie  are still his strengths his weak areas as a rookie are the same weak areas he has now.  He is not a good enough QB.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Geno has no future with this team because he is a poor QB who has not grown as a QB in the areas he is weak in.  All of the character stuff whether it be relevant or overblown is just salad dressing.  His strengths he had as  a rookie  are still his strengths his weak areas as a rookie are the same weak areas he has now.  He is not a good enough QB.

We haven't seen him extensive action in 2 years how do we know he hasn't grown?

Just now, August said:

We haven't seen him extensive action in 2 years how do we know he hasn't grown?

We saw him in each of the last two years in limited action and he was exactly the same as he has always been.  (And in this exhibition year)

Very nice arm.

Looks good for drives or parts of drives.

ZERO situational awareness in the pocket costing the team terrible sacks.

Not great ball security.

Even on the play he got hurt this past year, his poor awareness made him hold the ball a second two long and he got hurt as a result instead of throwing it away and saving himself.

He has zero pocket awareness and makes bad decisions when pressured.  Other parts of his game are good which is all the more frustrating, he throws a nice ball and has parts of games which eh looks fine but you know sooner or later he will blow it.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We saw him in each of the last two years in limited action and he was exactly the same as he has always been.  (And in this exhibition year)

Very nice arm.

Not great ball security.

Even on the play he got hurt this past year, his poor awareness made him hold the ball a second two long and he got hurt as a result instead of throwing it away and saving himself.

He has zero pocket awareness and makes bad decisions when pressured.  Other parts of his game are good which is all the more frustrating, he throws a nice ball and has parts of games which eh looks fine but you know sooner or later he will blow it.

he has a problem with consistency.  But he also has had 4 starts.  I am not sure he will ever be a lead guy.  BUt this showcase meant nothing to me.  No protection.  A brandon Marshall who was not trying, and for Gods sake, no TE!  Young QBs need a TE.

P>S.  MY mistake!  For some reason I thought we were talking about Petty here.  Fact is, Geno could very well be back.  Eeeek.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Very nice arm.

Not great ball security.

EVERY sack he took was on him? Look around the league outside of a very select few quarterbacks, if there is weak line protection the QB will look average to bad. I was disappointed in his performance in this past preseason, especially the Redskins game. But even in that game he made some plays as well. The play he got hurt was a freak play, and if that play was his fault then was it Derek Carr's fault for getting hurt as well? To say he is the same we would need a larger sample size. If you want to say he sucks based on years 1 and 2 then fine. But we don't know what he is right now. For example even a guy like Matt Barkley showed some potential after being terrible earlier in his career.  

He's not good enough as he is and he has not grown at all. that is the point.  If he had come in vs oakland the year before this last played the way he did and NOT taking two heinous mind numbing sacks to kill any chance we had I might think different.  If he had come into this pre season and thrown the ball away when required and looked like a guy that was learning how to play the position I would think different.  Hey believe me his good aspects are tantalizing he has a really good arm and throws a nice ball.

After all this time I don;t see him ever getting it, he is not alone though the league is littered with plaerys that have some good aspects but never get better.

I will be astounded if the Jets even make an offer for him.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He's not good enough as he is and he has not grown at all. that is the point.  If he had come in vs oakland the year before this last played the way he did and NOT taking two heinous mind numbing sacks to kill any chance we had I might think different.  If he had come into this pre season and thrown the ball away when required and looked like a guy that was learning how to play the position I would think different.  Hey believe me his good aspects are tantalizing he has a really good arm and throws a nice ball.

After all this time I don;t see him ever getting it, he is not alone though the league is littered with plaerys that have some good aspects but never get better.

I will be astounded if the Jets even make an offer for him.

We haven't seen enough of him in the last two years to know whether or not he's grown. So imo I think that point is wrong. The 2 bad sacks are blown out of proportion, there was no excuse for them, but at the same time it was not the end of the world. And we were not going to win that game regardless. And to get back to those sacks even after he took the sack he came back and converted a 4th down to keep the drive alive. But no one ever mentions that. There was no way he would go from the up and down QB he was to becoming close to flawless in that short of a time. Mistakes will be made. 

Archived