Bucs offered deal to make Mike Glennon highest-paid backup

Gas2No99

1 minute ago, August said:

The offer was 20 they then upped it to 35 million. The Jets offered 40

Everyone starts out with a lower offer than they want to pay unless they're suffering brain damage, just as it's unlikely the Jets' opening offer was $39m guaranteed. The only number that matters is their final, top offer. It isn't like the Pats offered $20m and the Jets offered $39m, after which time the Pats counter-offered $30m or $35m. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Everyone starts out with a lower offer than they want to pay unless they're suffering brain damage, just as it's unlikely the Jets' opening offer was $39m guaranteed. The only number that matters is their final, top offer. It isn't like the Pats offered $20m and the Jets offered $39m, after which time the Pats counter-offered $30m or $35m. 

That's how it played out. Revis guaranteed money was at 20 million. The Jets offer was significantly more.

18 minutes ago, August said:

That's how it played out. Revis guaranteed money was at 20 million. The Jets offer was significantly more.

*sigh*

You are comparing the Pats' initial offer with the Jets' final offer. To compare apples and apples:

The Pats' final offer to Revis was around $30m or $35m, depending on the source. The Jets' final offer to Revis was $39m. 

Beyond that I'm not doing Who's On First anymore.

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im quoting a disgruntled employee because based on how the Jets pampered Hack this season. 

When the coaching staff is afraid to put a 2nd round pick into preseason games its fair to say that this disgruntled employee may have a point. 

Who cares if he plays in games after 6 weeks of training camp... if he doesn't play this preseason... then I could understand your gripe.  But this whole not playing before he has a chance to even work on his mechanics is SOOOOOO blown out of proportion its ridiculous... 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Woody is a fool of an owner who makes poor hiring choices, and creates poor settings for hiring the best people, rather than letting someone competent and experienced run the team.

Woody is not, and has not, been directing & micromanaging Maccagnan. 

Maccagnan could have been the best candidate presented to him at the time (I don't know/remember who else was even available that year).

Maccagnan has been bad at his job.

These statements can all be true.

And they can all be false too!

27 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Who cares if he plays in games after 6 weeks of training camp... if he doesn't play this preseason... then I could understand your gripe.  But this whole not playing before he has a chance to even work on his mechanics is SOOOOOO blown out of proportion its ridiculous... 

Dude, he didn't play while on a team that had its starter benched 3 times with the 2nd and 3rd string both sidelined due to injury as well. 

He couldn't even get on the field during the last game of, by that time, a meaningless season. A 2nd round pick who's "mechanic's" are so bad he can't get a start over arguably the worst starting qb in the league. 

That's not being blown out if proportion, especially when 6 QB's drafted after Hackenberg saw gametime.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And what makes you believe that ? No one has presented an opposing case

When the proposed argument is that if someone, in an isolated instance, makes a bad decision, or offers bad advice, or offers seemingly decent advice with poor results, then they are a fool, there's not really much of an opposing case to present.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, he didn't play while on a team that had its starter benched 3 times with the 2nd and 3rd string both sidelined due to injury as well. 

He couldn't even get on the field during the last game of, by that time, a meaningless season. A 2nd round pick who's "mechanic's" are so bad he can't get a start over arguably the worst starting qb in the league. 

That's not being blown out if proportion, especially when 6 QB's drafted after Hackenberg saw gametime.

That's how QBs get ruined... Look at David Carr. All the potential, career ruined because he started too soon. Sure there are examples from both sides... point is, the coaches didn't feel he is ready yet, what is the harm in not playing him.  It's not like he was going to save the Jets season... and with the O-line playing as bad as they did last year.  Why would you Mark Sanchez the guy... look how fast it ended Geno's season.  It's insane and ridiculous and WAY OVERBLOWN... but you choose to only see the negative side... I understand, as you are a Jet fan.  There are positive people and negative people and you seam to be in the latter half...

Just now, gEYno said:

When the proposed argument is that if someone, in an isolated instance, makes a bad decision, or offers bad advice, or offers seemingly decent advice with poor results, then they are a fool, there's not really much of an opposing case to present.

Isolated? 

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

That's how QBs get ruined... Look at David Carr. All the potential, career ruined because he started too soon. Sure there are examples from both sides... point is, the coaches didn't feel he is ready yet, what is the harm in not playing him.  It's not like he was going to save the Jets season... and with the O-line playing as bad as they did last year.  Why would you Mark Sanchez the guy... look how fast it ended Geno's season.  It's insane and ridiculous and WAY OVERBLOWN... but you choose to only see the negative side... I understand, as you are a Jet fan.  There are positive people and negative people and you seam to be in the latter half...

I think it's safer to call optimism about a guy who:

Was okay in one season in college and then bad for the following two

Saw his college team improve dramatically after he left

Was terrible in training camp

Was barely allowed reps in preseason

Was awful when he did get those reps

Was kept as an unprecedented 4th QB

Was not allowed to start when the entire season fell apart

Was spoken about negatively throughout the season by team sources

"insane and ridiculous and WAY OVERBLOWN"

Seriously, take issue with any of those points individually, but in totality, you've got a problem.

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No, that's how QB's get over drafted. If you can't contribute in a situation such as what the jets had, then maybe he should have been drafted after guys like Cody Kessler and Dak Prescott.

It seems like his career was ruined in college. Drafting him in the 2nd round was the only thing overblown.

Do I understand development? Sure, but if a week 17 game is going to destroy that development even after 2 QB's go down via injury and the starter benched multiple times...then what good are you?

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because if you do the process correctly, the odds suggest that you will get it right eventually

And no one is knocking the process, you're just harping on it.  And, when it's 3 football seasons or more to "get it right eventually" everyone is going to be more concerned with results than celebrating failure because we failed with what you're defining as good effort.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think it's safer to call optimism about a guy who:

Was okay in one season in college and then bad for the following two

Saw his college team improve dramatically after he left

Was terrible in training camp

Was barely allowed reps in preseason

Was awful when he did get those reps

Was kept as an unprecedented 4th QB

Was not allowed to start when the entire season fell apart

Was spoken about negatively throughout the season by team sources

"insane and ridiculous and WAY OVERBLOWN"

Seriously, take issue with any of those points individually, but in totality, you've got a problem.

- Switched Coaches, changed footwork and delivery, and all full scholarship lineman left...

- Different QB style... Franklin wanted nothing to do with Hack and how he played and all the full scholarship recruits were returned the year he left

- Terrible footwork... there is a long list of QBs that needed to be taught better footwork out of college, including the great Favre, and Steve Young

- Again attributed to put the cart before the horse

- not unprecedented... many teams have done it before... sure its not common

- Again, see my previous post about ruining a QB before he is ready... David Carr's career was ruined because of this exact line of thinking.

- By two coaches that were fired and frustrated at the season, yet their word is god and not the others that say that he is improving in the off-season

- Yes they are Overblown... a QB not starting in his first year was the normal... Look at Tom Brady... Favre... Rodgers... Young... etc etc... Yet because they chose not to play him behind a line that got Geno injured for the season, Fitzpatrick consistently sacked and also injured, now were they partially the QBs fault... OF COURSE... but you think a 20 year old fresh out of college with bad footwork is going to make better and faster decisions... Wow... When Coaches listen to fans or media is when the teams fail and get fired... look at all the best GMs and Coaches.... they get ridiculed for years until the winning becomes a habit and the tide turns.

I have a problem??? Because I choose to believe in optimism rather than be a miserable grump like the majority of this site and forum? I think you might need some self reflection.

Just now, Skeptable said:

- Switched Coaches, changed footwork and delivery, and all full scholarship lineman left...

- Different QB style... Franklin wanted nothing to do with Hack and how he played and all the full scholarship recruits were returned the year he left

- Terrible footwork... there is a long list of QBs that needed to be taught better footwork out of college, including the great Favre, and Steve Young

- Again attributed to put the cart before the horse

- not unprecedented... many teams have done it before... sure its not common

- Again, see my previous post about ruining a QB before he is ready... David Carr's career was ruined because of this exact line of thinking.

- By two coaches that were fired and frustrated at the season, yet their word is god and not the others that say that he is improving in the off-season

- Yes they are Overblown... a QB not starting in his first year was the normal... Look at Tom Brady... Favre... Rodgers... Young... etc etc... Yet because they chose not to play him behind a line that got Geno injured for the season, Fitzpatrick consistently sacked and also injured, now were they partially the QBs fault... OF COURSE... but you think a 20 year old fresh out of college with bad footwork is going to make better and faster decisions... Wow... When Coaches listen to fans or media is when the teams fail and get fired... look at all the best GMs and Coaches.... they get ridiculed for years until the winning becomes a habit and the tide turns.

I have a problem??? Because I choose to believe in optimism rather than be a miserable grump like the majority of this site and forum? I think you might need some self reflection.

This is a remarkable amount of excuses.

A problem within the confines of this particular POV re: Christian Hackenberg and how it meets with reality, yes.  Maybe you need to reflect a little more as someone who's extrapolating reasonable views of a Quarterback to somehow be reflective of a person's life...

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, that's how QB's get over drafted. If you can't contribute in a situation such as what the jets had, then maybe he should have been drafted after guys like Cody Kessler and Dak Prescott.

It seems like his career was ruined in college. Drafting him in the 2nd round was the only thing overblown.

Do I understand development? Sure, but if a week 17 game is going to destroy that development even after 2 QB's go down via injury and the starter benched multiple times...then what good are you?

Agreed that QBs are over drafted... was Hack over drafted... ABSOLUTELY... But that still doesn't change the fact you need a QB

Sure you could have Dak or Cody, but Dak was overlooked by 32 teams for three rounds. You are picking the anomaly not the norm. And what makes you think Dak would be any better on a team that couldn't keep their QB healthy because their Oline sucked... And I still wouldn't want Cody kessler he will be out of the league in 2 years.

During the season nobody learns new footwork... thats an offseason thing... all you do during the season is learn how the proffesional game is played and the speed.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:22 PM, ChuckkieB said:

If Mac signs Glennon, it just means he's admitting the catastrophic mistake of drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round last year.  I'm not sure he's willing to do that just yet.  I Don't think the Jets will sign Glennon, but if they insist on signing a FA, QB, Glennon would be the one I want.

Bucs are trying to push the price tag up. Now if anyone wants to sign Glennon it will cost 12-15 M per season, which I would not do. I would prefer Hoyer who is better at the quick accurate passing the WCO needs. 

Just now, gEYno said:

A problem within the confines of this particular POV re: Christian Hackenberg and how it meets with reality, yes.  Maybe you need to reflect a little more as someone who's extrapolating reasonable views of a Quarterback to somehow be reflective of a person's life...

You are providing the same amount of excuses as to why he sucks... Fact is you don't know till he takes the field. So your argument holds as much weight as mine. I CHOOSE the optimistic view... You CHOOSE the Negative view

17 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Agreed that QBs are over drafted... was Hack over drafted... ABSOLUTELY... But that still doesn't change the fact you need a QB

Sure you could have Dak or Cody, but Dak was overlooked by 32 teams for three rounds. You are picking the anomaly not the norm. And what makes you think Dak would be any better on a team that couldn't keep their QB healthy because their Oline sucked... And I still wouldn't want Cody kessler he will be out of the league in 2 years.

During the season nobody learns new footwork... thats an offseason thing... all you do during the season is learn how the proffesional game is played and the speed.

I'll make this short. Cody may be out the league in 2 years, but Hack is looking like he shouldn't be in the league to begin with. 

No matter the situation, if you're a 2nd round pick and the coach decides that you can't play even when we literally had nothing else, that tells me that not matter what your feelings are personally, the draft pick at this point in time is a failure...period.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'll make this short. Cody may be out the league in 2 years, but Hack is looking like he shouldn't be in the league to begin with. 

No matter the situation, if you're a 2nd round pick and the coach decides that you can't play even when we literally had nothing else, that tells me that not matter what your feelings are personally, the draft pick at this point in time is a failure...period.

Or that he isn't ready and should not have been drafted so early... either way its FAR FAR FAR too early to tell... and people acting like he is a bust before he takes the field have nothing to go on besides the coaching staff not wanting to play him. Especially behind a line that saw 3 QBs get injured with two of them going down for the year.  Why risk it on a losing season and a bad oline if you think he has a future here. 

24 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

You are providing the same amount of excuses as to why he sucks... Fact is you don't know till he takes the field. So your argument holds as much weight as mine. I CHOOSE the optimistic view... You CHOOSE the Negative view

Ummm... What?

Every item I posted is simply a statement of what happened.  Unfortunately, a simple statement of what happened paints a pretty negative picture.

28 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Um, if you aren't optimistic about a player despite so much stacked against him, then you are in need of professional, psychological help.

In case you don't know anyone, I can get you the name of someone right near you. Derek Mellon, or anyway his name sounds something like that.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Or that he isn't ready and should not have been drafted so early... either way its FAR FAR FAR too early to tell... and people acting like he is a bust before he takes the field have nothing to go on besides the coaching staff not wanting to play him. Especially behind a line that saw 3 QBs get injured with two of them going down for the year.  Why risk it on a losing season and a bad oline if you think he has a future here. 

At this point in time he  contributes nothing yet holds a roster spot. Hit me back when he either contributes or is cut because right now the jets basically have a 52 man roster.

Just now, gEYno said:

Ummm... What?

Every item I posted is simply a statement of what happened.  Unfortunately, a simple statement of what happened paints a pretty negative picture.

No... impose a negative inference on each statement... For example ... FACT: He didn't see the field this year because the coaching staff didn't want to play him... Your inference: He sucked and played so bad that they couldn't play him... My Thoughts: He isn't ready and didn't want to ruin his development.

This is just one example I don't need to go through the rest because this argument is boring and neither side can prove their point until he takes the field...

I'm completely blown away by the fact that Mike Glennon is going to get 15-16 millions dollars for literally doing nothing the past 2 years.  

Has this ever happened before in the NFL?  Has a QB ever increased their self worth by this much only playing 11 downs over a 2 year period?

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Um, if you aren't optimistic about a player despite so much stacked against him, then you are in need of professional, psychological help.

In case you don't know anyone, I can get you the name of someone right near you. Derek Mellon, or anyway his name sounds something like that.

Now this is overblown because I simply have a positive view rather then a doom and gloom

Just now, Skeptable said:

No... impose a negative inference on each statement... For example ... FACT: He didn't see the field this year because the coaching staff didn't want to play him... Your inference: He sucked and played so bad that they couldn't play him... My Thoughts: He isn't ready and didn't want to ruin his development.

This is just one example I don't need to go through the rest because this argument is boring and neither side can prove their point until he takes the field...

I don't think you fully understand what facts are.  Anyway, I agree, lets end this conversation.  I'm hoping we could talk about the fact that I could be the Jets next franchise QB, and we'll never find out until I take the field.  I threw a few good passes in flag football games some years back, haven't done much since, but until I get my shot, everyone's just being negative to say that I'm not the future.

At this point in time he  contributes nothing yet holds a roster spot. Hit me back when he either contributes or is cut because right now the jets basically have a 52 man roster.

Last year I agree, hence why the NFL needs to expand their rosters... To say that at this point... you have no clue... you are 6 months away from opening day... Having a developmental QB in the roster is a positive. no matter how he turns out.

Just now, gEYno said:

I don't think you fully understand what facts are.  Anyway, I agree, lets end this conversation.  I'm hoping we could talk about the fact that I could be the Jets next franchise QB, and we'll never find out until I take the field.  I threw a few good passes in flag football games some years back, haven't done much since, but until I get my shot, everyone's just being negative to say that I'm not the future.

I just proved to you fact versus opinion and yet you continue to disagree... why are you so thick headed ... learn definitions 

fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is indisputably the case

The thought that Hack didn't see the field because he sucked is NOT INDISPUTABLE..... IN fact, I have disputed your claims numerous times... Learn Better...

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Last year I agree, hence why the NFL needs to expand their rosters... To say that at this point... you have no clue... you are 6 months away from opening day... Having a developmental QB in the roster is a positive. no matter how he turns out.

You don't take a talent that raw in the 2nd round. I'm not saying I have a problem with the jets stashing him away, I have a problem with doing that for a 2nd round pick. 

Pick up a guy like that in the 4th like we did Petty. However a 2nd rounder better be ready when needed. 

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Normally, I'd agree with this statement if said player wasnt selected in the 2nd round by a team desperate for talent.  But because he was and because the Jets are, I think it matters a great deal how he turns out.  

If Big Mac had actually done a good job of acquiring some talent outside of Leonard Williams, then maybe you could excuse this mistake (I say mistake because the odds are he doesnt pan out).  But because he's failed to add any significant talent, this is was a huge **** up on his part and it hurts the Jets. 

You don't take a talent that raw in the 2nd round. I'm not saying I have a problem with the jets stashing him away, I have a problem with doing that for a 2nd round pick. 

Pick up a guy like that in the 4th like we did Petty. However a 2nd rounder better be ready when needed. 

I agree, he was overdrafted like 90% of QBs in the draft... He was more overdrafted then he should have been, again I don't disagree... but he is on the team now... and I choose to move past where he was drafted, and look at the potential of how he can help this team in the future, If he can.

Archived