Sign in to follow this  
TuscanyTile2

Out of curiosity - Are there any vegans on here?

Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian for all but 6-7 years of my life, which means I don’t eat anything that ever had a face, but I’ll consume dairy and eggs.

I love cooking anytime, but specifically for gamedays. My friends and family (carnivores and non-carnivores alike) love my gameday fare.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, CTM said:

Huge environmental impact is the bigger concern imo

With all due respect, I feel like that's a selfish reason.  I mean, whatever the reason, if people are kinder to animals I think it's a good thing.  I just think if we show sympathy to animals, there are positive side effects (e.g. the environment).

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

With all due respect, I feel like that's a selfish reason.  I mean, whatever the reason, if people are kinder to animals I think it's a good thing.  I just think if we show sympathy to animals, there are positive side effects (e.g. the environment).

Being concerned with the state of the planet we leave for  future generations is selfish?  Maybe my environmental concerns have positive side effects on animal welfare 

Being a vegan today results in carnage for all kinds of little critters. The reality is that its exceedingly difficult if not impossible to live a life with no impact on others beings. It's just the way the nature works (although humans have largely perverted the system) Taking steps to minimize your impact is commendable regardless of the reason. Respectfully, putting it to some kind of purity test is childish and counter productive. It turns people off completely which has been a problem in the vegan community for decades. Dont let perfect be the enemy of good.

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Being concerned with the state of the planet we leave for  future generations is selfish?  Maybe, my environmental concerns have posituve side effects on animal welfare 

Being a vegan today results in carnage for all kinds of little critters. The reality is that its exceedingly difficult if not impossible to live a life with no impact on others beings. It's just the way the nature works (although humans have largely perverted the system) Taking steps to minimize your impact is commendable regardless of the reason. Respectfully, putting it to some kind of purity test is childish and counter productive. It turns people off completely which has been a problem in the vegan community for decades. Dont let perfect be the enemy of good.

Fully agreed but the idea is to try to minimize harm as much as can reasonably be done. Also fully agreed on "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good".  Some people argue "but you can't eliminate all harm" and use that as a basis for essentially saying "so why bother taking any steps".  We are completely on the same page here.  As far as the purity test thing, we are both in agreement that positive actions are good regardless of the reason.  

On 9/7/2018 at 6:08 PM, slats said:

I've been eating a pescatarian diet for 25 years or so. My kids eat similarly. My son's girlfriend is vegan, that's a struggle. 

How do you handle cooking in bulk for the family with respect to proteins? Do you just not cook more than 2-3 days-worth of food at a time? I cycle in and out of pescatarian every few weeks and my main problem is that I like to cook food for the next 3-4 days at a time and that doesn't work to well with fish.

5 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I've been vegan for over four years. There are so many plant-based meat and cheese substitutes now, it's not as hard to get into as it used to be. Even White Castle has vegan burgers.

Nice!  Glad I'm not the only one! 

I was unaware about White Castle.  I will have to check that out.  I'm in complete agreement that there are many really good substitutes nowadays.  I definitely think there's a swell of support for this lately btw.  Melt Shop in NYC just introduced a vegan sandwich and Banana Republic sent email with subject "vegan suede is in for fall".  Whole Foods has been selling Beyond Meat products and Van Leeuwens sells (absolutely amazing!) vegan ice cream.  

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nice!  Glad I'm not the only one! 

I was unaware about White Castle.  I will have to check that out.  I'm in complete agreement that there are many really good substitutes nowadays.  I definitely think there's a swell of support for this lately btw.  Melt Shop in NYC just introduced a vegan sandwich and Banana Republic sent email with subject "vegan suede is in for fall".  Whole Foods has been selling Beyond Meat products and Van Leeuwens sells (absolutely amazing!) vegan ice cream.  

NYC area is full of places. Check out the Cinnamon Snail at the food court at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, and Screamers Pizza and Champs Deli in Brooklyn. 

32 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

NYC area is full of places. Check out the Cinnamon Snail at the food court at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, and Screamers Pizza and Champs Deli in Brooklyn. 

I had heard of Champs (but still haven't been there).  I will check those others out.  I haven't had good vegan pizza yet so I'm definitely interested to try Screamers.

Thanks for the recommendations!

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I had heard of Champs (but still haven't been there).  I will check those others out.  I haven't had good vegan pizza yet so I'm definitely interested to try Screamers.

Thanks for the recommendations!

One correction -- It's Champ's Diner, not Deli. And people rave about this place.