I don't like to toot my own horn, but ....

Green Jets & Ham

BEEP BEEP!! 8)

ESPN Insider

By Chris Mortensen

Let's get something straight right off the mark. This is not a knock against Matt Leinart or Vince Young. This also is not a knock against my colleague and friend Mel Kiper Jr., our ESPN draft scout, who does a terrific job.

However, this I'm pretty sure about: Jay Cutler is the best quarterback available for the NFL draft come April.

I am not alone.

A bunch of NFL Scouts are whispering the same thing during Senior Bowl week in Mobile. Some of those even will put out some "negatives" on Cutler deliberately in hopes that he'll drop a little in the draft. It's not going to work.

=====

YAHOO

MOBILE, Ala.

Never take a QB that high. Me personally, anyway. Especially for the Jets, considering that they already have a black hole at that position.

qb is one of the few positions that i think a player is worth that much $$ in bonus. i would prefer to trade down. it's scary to think that cutler @ 4 would get about the same SB as pennington. that would be ~ $35M SB tied up in the backup QB position next year.

qb is one of the few positions that i think a player is worth that much $$ in bonus. i would prefer to trade down. it's scary to think that cutler @ 4 would get about the same SB as pennington. that would be ~ $35M SB tied up in the backup QB position next year.

If anything, and they stay at four... I'd rather them draft a franchise tackle. I hate wasting a pick on a QB, that high.

If anything, and they stay at four... I'd rather them draft a franchise tackle. I hate wasting a pick on a QB, that high.

i don't think the gap b/w ferguson and the 2-5 tackles warrants the difference in $$$. i just can't see a $20M bonus to an OT who never took a snap in the NFL. that is more $$ than ogden, jones, or pace ever received. makes more sense to take an OT in rd 2 or later in rd 1.

i don't think the gap b/w ferguson and the 2-5 tackles warrants the difference in $$$. i just can't see a $20M bonus to an OT who never took a snap in the NFL. that is more $$ than ogden, jones, or pace ever received. makes more sense to take an OT in rd 2 or later in rd 1.

But, you can justify it for a QB, who's never taken a snap in the NFL? It goes both ways.

But, you can justify it for a QB, who's never taken a snap in the NFL? It goes both ways.

QB is more valuable than T it is the only position on offense that handles the ball every play.

don't get me wrong i don't have a hard-on for cutler like ham does. i don't believe in paying $20M to a player who never played an nfl down. it's tough to tie that much $$ in a proven player let alone a rookie. i'd like to see the jets trade down and build OL/DL. my point is that QB is one of the few positions that i would invest that kind of $ in.

QB is more valuable than T it is the only position on offense that handles the ball every play.

don't get me wrong i don't have a hard-on for cutler like ham does. i don't believe in paying $20M to a player who never played an nfl down. it's tough to tie that much $$ in a proven player let alone a rookie. i'd like to see the jets trade down and build OL/DL. my point is that QB is one of the few positions that i would invest that kind of $ in.

I just don't agree. And it'll be alot more than 20 million. I can't justify drafting a QB that high. And, I have no desire to go into a rebuilding mode, either. They need to draft positions that have more of an impact sooner.

If I had my way, there'd be a trade down, and a trade of Abe for a first round pick. But, that's because I have high standards. I always say that it's best to have the most ammo. And, if I had my way, I'd feel better about what the Jets would be doing in the draft, since I'd be making the picks, and not Bradway, and anything is better than that.

Archived