Mid-May Musings

can't disagree with most of what bettyboop said.  imo this team has improved in a lot of ways over the past few seasons inspite of mac's average gm ability.  they got a qb.  they got a feature back.  they got some receivers in enunwa and anderson who have the ability to scare the other team on occassion. they got a good slot guy in crowder and it looks like herndon might be a pretty good te.  and even though defensive tackle wasn't a real need, they got a really player in qwill and at the very least a replacement for leo if he decides to test free agency.  about the only position that declined was cornerback but even there some good push up front and revis could come back and be good.

at the end of the day it's all going to depend on how good gase is as a leader.  i think he's at least as good as the next guy as an x's and o's guy and offensive strategist but he still has to get the guys to play and he has to teach them too.  same thing on defense.  one thing both of these guys have going for them is the players were plenty tired of losing and the ambiguous demeanor of bowles.  they'll start off wanting to win.  if they start to win, it'll be contagious.

My updated reasons for optimism/skepticism.

Optimism

• I will get my fall Sundays back to play with my grandkids.

Skepticism

• Emperor Gase - He has a narcissistic personality disorder.  He never accepts blame or responsibility.  Always blames others for his wrongdoing.  Cannot establish relationships.  How could this go wrong?
  • Chris Johnson - He always needs a scapegoat.  He, like his brother, creates power vacuums throughout the organization and picks a scapegoat to fire and keeps the rest.  The power vacuums and problems don't go away, they just create new ones.  I have no faith in him picking a capable GM and I have even less faith that a capable candidate would want to work amongst this chaos.
  • I can't imagine the Emperor and Greg Williams getting along (I come to bury Greg Williams, not praise him!).  The only saving grace may be that it happens much sooner rather than later.