No Salary Cap in 2007?

BigJermaineFromQnz

"Associated Press reports NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is not expecting any sudden breakthroughs with the players' union on a contract extension. Tagliabue said the two sides have not made the progress they need to be making. "I don't think negotiations are going very well," he noted. The current CBA expires after the 2007 season. Under the current contract, there would not be a salary cap in 2007. NFL Players Associate executive Gene Upshaw insists if the cap disappears it will not return. Tagliabue didn't sound optimistic a deal would be done by the time the NFL meetings being March 25. The two sides have been negotiating for more than a year."

If it turns out to really be a no cap year, how does this affect us. Do you think Woody will splurge, or stay set in his cheap ways? Also, does anyone know who the big free agents will be year after next?

First off, no NFL fan should wish for 2007 to be uncapped. Granted, it does help the Jets in particular in the short run, but it will make the sport suckier. It'll become a league of have's and have-not's like MLB.

Stop reading Zero's articles. There are definitely some teams with cheap owners (SD, Min, Pit), but I don't consider Woody one of them simply b/c he doesn't go nutty like a Dan Snyder:

$600M+ or whatever for the purchase of a low-revenue team

$70M for a failed attempt at a Manhattan stadium.

The Xanadu stadium with the Vaginants isn't exactly "free" either.

Gave a RAISE to a HC after a 6-10 season.

And the players?

$15M SB/Roster bonus for Shaun Ellis - at least he's versatile (3-4 or 4-3)

$18M SB for Chad Pennington (not counting the 3/1/06 roster bonus or the bloated salaries) - STUPID

$14M or so in bonuses paid to CMart- STUPID

$6M SB for Wayne Chrebet- STUPID

$7M or whatever SB to Fabini- STUPID

$3M/yr for a backup RB (Blaylock) only good b/c of KC's OL- STUPID

$9M SB for Mawae

$1.5M for Ken-Yon Rambo- STUPID

$7M to retain Abe for one year rather than just let him go to as an UFA - eh

$10M in bonus money for D-Fat- STUPID

$6M SB/$30M initial contract to Sam Cowart- STUPID

$7M SB (?) to Justin McCariens part of a $30M+ contract- STUPID

$10M SB offered to Antoine Winfield- STUPID and humiliating

$25M or so contract offered to LaMont Jordan, even with Martin on the roster

Millions offered (but not accepted) for John Lynch, Jeb Putzier, others - humiliating

If Woody is so "cheap" how the hell are we capped out then? It's not that he won't spend the money; it's that Bradway is throwing too much of it at the wrong players.

Man, I just re-read that list & it's mostly depressing.

First off, no NFL fan should wish for 2007 to be uncapped. Granted, it does help the Jets in particular in the short run, but it will make the sport suckier. It'll become a league of have's and have-not's like MLB.

Stop reading Zero's articles. There are definitely some teams with cheap owners (SD, Min, Pit), but I don't consider Woody one of them simply b/c he doesn't go nutty like a Dan Snyder:

$600M+ or whatever for the purchase of a low-revenue team

$70M for a failed attempt at a Manhattan stadium.

The Xanadu stadium with the Vaginants isn't exactly "free" either.

Gave a RAISE to a HC after a 6-10 season.

And the players?

$15M SB/Roster bonus for Shaun Ellis - at least he's versatile (3-4 or 4-3)

$18M SB for Chad Pennington (not counting the 3/1/06 roster bonus or the bloated salaries) - STUPID

$14M or so in bonuses paid to CMart- STUPID

$6M SB for Wayne Chrebet- STUPID

$7M or whatever SB to Fabini- STUPID

$3M/yr for a backup RB (Blaylock) only good b/c of KC's OL- STUPID

$9M SB for Mawae

$1.5M for Ken-Yon Rambo- STUPID

$7M to retain Abe for one year rather than just let him go to as an UFA - eh

$10M in bonus money for D-Fat- STUPID

$6M SB/$30M initial contract to Sam Cowart- STUPID

$7M SB (?) to Justin McCariens part of a $30M+ contract- STUPID

$10M SB offered to Antoine Winfield- STUPID and humiliating

$25M or so contract offered to LaMont Jordan, even with Martin on the roster

Millions offered (but not accepted) for John Lynch, Jeb Putzier, others - humiliating

If Woody is so "cheap" how the hell are we capped out then? It's not that he won't spend the money; it's that Bradway is throwing too much of it at the wrong players.

Man, I just re-read that list & it's mostly depressing.

I am not sure if it was Woody to blame... I think it is Bradway to blame.. I think Woody gave the acceptable total of money spent to Bradway and the all movements were up to Bradway...

Bradway spent too much on crappy starters and had less money for depth. In that way, once our starter is down and we are finished for the season.

I dont like that.

Archived