MOCK DRAFT: FIX THE DAMN O-LINE

PepPep

The Jets have primary needs at the O-line, CB, Edge and WR positions. First things first. Fix the damn O-line. I have no problem if JD decides to go O-line early and often this year. 

Rd. 1: Tristan Wirfs: OT, Iowa: Wirfs may be the 3rd OT off the board with A.Thomas and J.Wills going ahead of him. But I think he is a great fit for the Jets b/c of his versatility. The Jets have holes all over the O-line and Wirfs has the potential to be a permanent fit at multiple positions on the O-line. He's just the kind of guy they need right now and going forward.

Rd. 2: Prince Tega Wanogho: OT, Auburn: Yep, another OT. I don't have very much faith in Edoga and the Jets need to build this o-line for the future. Prince is a bit raw but the upside is immense. He has prototypical NFL LT upside which he has exhibited with his athleticism, footwork and strength. He really just needs polish. I love him as a prospect and I don't consider this a reach. I though about going after an interior lineman, a CB or a C but the value was just not there. I have no issue taking Wirfs and Prince in the first two rounds knowing full well both can't play the LT position, this is why its such a luxury to have a versatile O-lineman like Wirfs.

Rd. 3 (Giants pick): Tyler Johnson: I cannot come away from this draft without a legitimate outside WR prospect. Johnson is projected to go in the 3rd round right now but I'm guessing he will go earlier. IF he is still on the board, I'm taking him right here. He may not have elite speed but he's got all the rest of the tools and skills to be a Pro Bowl caliber WR at the NFL level. That's really all I need to say. I have no issue with that and I convinced he will be a dangerous weapon for Darnold. Great hands, fluid route runner, good size, production- he will get open and move the chains for the Jets, which is exactly what they need.   

Rd. 3 (Giants pick): Jeff Gladney: CB, TCU: Just like WR, I cannot come away from this draft without a legitimate outside CB prospect, which is why I'm taking Gladney here, who is balanced in man and zone, can be projected to play on the outside at the NFL level, has fantastic ball skills and to be honest just needs to bulk up to compete with some of the more physical receivers at the next level. I love him as a prospect and this would be great value.

Rd. 4: Ben Bredeson: OG, Michigan: We're fixing the O-line in this draft, right? Bredeson is a solid, balanced, experienced OG without elite NFL athleticism but good strength and skills to be a long term starter at the next level. He will compete for a starting spot right away. At worst, the Jets will get a solid backup. At best they will get a long term starter who is solid as a rock at the LG position. 

Rd. 5: Denzel Mims: WR, Baylor: The Jets have to take advantage of the depth at the WR position in this draft. Mims is a fantastic athlete with elite speed. He may lack some of the WR skills of Tyler Johnson but he is a great deep threat with great upside. If the Jets let Robby walk, they will need a guy like this to keep the defense honest. Getting Mims in the 5th is great value, he may go earlier. 

Rd. 6: Eric Stokes: CB, Georgia: Doubtful that Stokes falls this far simply because he has great size, great speed and played superbly on one of the best defenses in college football on a big stage. However, right now I don't see him anywhere near any of the top 20 CB prospects. He will be a bit of a project but this is exactly where you draft these guys. If Stokes is available in the 6th I'd love to pick him up and have him compete with the other young CBs on the roster. 

Rd. 7: Tipa Galea'i: Edge, Utah State: Explosive situational pass rusher. You take this guy and hope he can be a solid special teams contributor and get to the QB on passing downs.  Due to his assault of a fellow student he will fall to the 7th or out of the draft. But if I'm the Jets I take a chance this late in the draft. 

• Sympathy 1

in theory this is great. 

I cant' say i've delved into the Oline at the level where i can say "that's a good pick" yet... However, I will say IMO that you're more likely to see Mims at that 3rd round spot and Tyler Johnson in the 5th... Early returns on Johnson aren't great when you dig into the game film. Big fan of Mims tho.

• 2 weeks later...