Darrelle Revis Named to NFL’s 2010s All-Decade Team

34 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I like our good players just fine.  I just think that there is a small but highly vocal percentage of jets fans who massively overrate them.

Massively

Massively overrated by Jets fans.

As in HOF players.

Sorry that doesnt work here.  All fanbases overrate their players at times, every one of them.  Claiming CMartin or Darrel Revis were great players and great Jet players has nothing to do with "massively" overrating players.  

14 hours ago, Lil O said:

I totally think that DR is a much better CB than Nnamdi overall and over their careers. I have only watched nnamdi play one or two games, and I am basing what I said on what I have read. For example I actually worked with Nnamdi this winter on a Broadway show. I was so excited and was telling everyone that he was the number 2 cornerback back in the day and Darrell Revis was number one. I then googled best rated CBs for the year 2010, and they had Nnamdi ranked number one and DR number two. This was their ranking heading into the 2010 season.  I can’t remember who’s ranking it was but it just told me that there are some people, meaning writers and broadcasters, that think that Nnamdi was better than Rivas during those few years. I’m not saying that he was, I’m saying that there were some professionals who thought he was. I’ve read other polls that have DR ranked number one.  I’m saying that he was not the unanimous best CB in the NFL from the years 2007 to 2010. Some think he is but there are obviously some who don’t. I have a DR Jersey signed, hanging in my closet...I am a fan.

He became the unanimous best in 2009, from that point on he was considered far and away the best until he got hurt.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The last paragraph is very interesting.

So much for top cover corner Dion Sanders.

Rice is one of the two best football players ever -- with Jim Brown.

Deion is the best cover corner ever, and a top 20-25 all-time player at ANY position (and that's just at CB; he was also a great punt and kickoff return man)... but Rice was even more dominant. 

Both were not good, not great, not Hall of Fame, but top tier Hall of Fame guys.
Slighting either is silly -- these guys were both amazing.

Head to head? 

In the prime of both players? 

Rice entered the league in 1985; Deion in 1989-90.

I looked up the box scores, though without all-22 game film, it's hard to know on which plays the two were singled, or if Deion had help over the top, etc. (unlikely) vs. Rice.

I'm going to give Deion the benefit of the doubt and assume he played Jerry straight up here, at least after 1990 (Deion's rookie season).

1990 - SF vs. Atlanta, 2 games. Rice goes off for 8-171-1 in game 1 Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers - September 23rd, 1990... then Rice goes 13-225-5 TDs. Deion plays both games as a rookie, but doesn't get singled on Rice; Rice abuses the other corner, Charles Dimry, for all 6 TDs. Still, Deion was on the field and didn't slow Rice down - at all.  Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers - September 23rd, 1990

1991 - SF vs Atlanta, 2 games. Rice goes 7-138-1 Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers - October 13th, 1991 in game one; in game 2, Rice goes 6-44-0. In game two, he got man-to-man from Deion, with a long catch of 10 yards; that's as good as it gets vs. Rice.

1992 - Rice goes off for 7-183-2 in first game Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers - October 18th, 1992; Rice goes 4-45-1 in second game San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons - November 9th, 1992. BUT: Deion missed the first game with injury, so you can see he made a big difference in the second one.

1993 - went head to head just once, Rice going 6-105-0 San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons - December 11th, 1993

1994 - teammates.

1995 - Rice goes 5-161-1 vs. Dallas. Granted Deion is NOT in coverage on many of the plays; SF moves Rice around. Dallas owner Jerry Jones almost fired defensive coordinator Dave Capo after this game.

Deion clearly held Rice down vs. his normal production head to head, but he did NOT shut him down. Rice still was a huge factor.

It's not like Rice ever went 1 catch for 1 yard in a playoff game vs. Deion, like (future HOFer) Reggie Wayne did vs. (future HOFer) Darrelle Revis one time.

Rice killed deion's teams, Michael Irvin killed deion's teams, top guys went off.  Deion wasn't following top WRs around like revis did.  Revis dominated the best WRs of his generation.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Handful of years.  Got that believe this.  8 seasons is now a handful of years.  As I said. in his 8th season he went to the pro bowl and was a big part of the Pats winning a SB.   So yeah, I dont agree with the handful excuse, its just not true.

Fun fact, if not for those who were in their final years of eligibility Curtis Martin goes in first ballot.  That some football fans buy into "first ballot" as if its a rating system like baseball is also funny.  A panel of voters were on talking about just that.  Football, unlike baseball has limits on the number of players who can go in on any given year.  So if a Martin comes up along with a number of players on their last year, Martin waits.  The voters on the panel used Martin as an example, said obviously he should go in.  Why not, without the excuses, he was the 3rd or 4th all time leading rusher in the history of the NFL.  All the excuses cant change that.  

I won't get you started on Adams.  Its just more of the same.  The best you can do is hes really good but plays S.  So what, hes still really good.  But wait for it, excuses to wait.  Hes going to want more than hes worth.  Another crystal ball defense.  Now were onto all the bazillions he'll want.  

You dont like our good players anywhere as much as others outside of the organization.  I get that, not a big deal just accept it without some defense where there is none.  Martin is in the HOF.  Revis is going into the HOF, book it.  And hopefully Adams plays well enough, long enough to join them.  Thats what fans should hope for.  Doesnt make fans fanbois. 

He was 1st team all pro in that 8th season when he helped the Pats restart the SB dynasty.

Look.........no reasonable Jets fan or football fan for that matter can say with a straight face that DR wasnt that good or isnt one of the best at his position ever. He really was that good and he was one of the best ever. Problem is when evaluating his career his legacy gets tarnished and his greatness is questioned from how he chose to represent himself his last few years in the league.

Would anybody ever question his place in NFL history if after signing to return to the NYJ he came in a lean mean 210-215 lbs  kicked down the fvcking door to training camp and then went on to play at a high level? Of course not. Plus, stealing money from KC the following year cemented he no longer had the fire to show up in shape and earn his pay.