2021 WR Draft Class and scheduled Free Agents

17 hours ago, RobR said:

Would love to have a Jaylen Waddle on the Jets next year. Not the biggest guy but easily the most electrifying with the ball in his hands. 

Same general idea I said more but I'd love Waddle too. I am almost undoubtedly wrong but in my opinion the Jets want to run a lot of 11 and 12 personnel and have the slot be the focal point of the offense. Crowder is steady in that role, but I suspect they'd like a more explosive player to be the centerpiece of the offense and to run that guy out of the slot. Spread the field vertically with big, fast outside receivers and from the slot as well but also find creative guys to get your slot the ball. Seam stretcher at tight end too, pass to set up the run, and you're set.

Less investment in the outside guys and more volatility out there because of it, but if they're capable deep threats then they open things up underneath for a lot of guys and create big plays when defenses don't pay enough attention. Win-win.

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

My favorite guy from next year is Tamorrion Terry.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think Terry is underrated as well. Would be really happy with him if Perriman goes and they continue to build the outside group.

I think it was a series of bad decisions that made Gase go to ownership and clearly show how big of an idiot Macc was.  He may not have been vocal from the start about it, but certainly after the draft he was.  
Gase didn't want Bell.  Macc signed him anyways.  I doubt Gase wanted to tie up a bunch of money in an ILB, Macc did it anyways.  The last straw was failing to trade down from 3 and taking Quinnen Williams.  Hence why Gase wasn't around for the cameras during the remainder of the draft.  The Polite pick was probably just icing on the cake.
We all knew Macc was a complete dumba$$ but it took the HC going to the owner to finally make his firing happen.  Insane.  

Yeah, it almost seemed like there was a large distance between roster construction (GM) and roster utilization (HC).

I don’t think it’s that Gase didn’t want Bell, I think it’s that he wanted an OL first. We have RBs being underpaid all through the league because they are deemed a product of the offensive line. Yet, we invested in a RB at top money with an abysmal line.

I think the discord was over Jonah Williams, and the Jets not trading down. McCaggnan seemed to hate the OL in the draft, and that probably caused the rift. We’ve basically replaced the entire line after one season, and one of Douglas’ first moves involved the ill fated Khalil move. So I think the lack of OL and the lack of attention paid to it probably set the rift to the max.

I’m not going to hate on the Polite pick much because I liked it at the time. His on field production was great. Apparently, everything else was crap. The pick that drove me nuts was Wesco. It made no sense. His route tree was of a eligible tackle on trick plays. It just showed a lack of understanding for roster construction.

McCaggnan preached BPA but he seemed to be only in a scouting mind, and didn’t know how to adjust for value. Yeah, Wesco may have been a great blocking TE, grading highly, you can’t spend a 4th rd pick on that.

I think Terry is underrated as well. Would be really happy with him if Perriman goes and they continue to build the outside group.

I would take him regardless of Perriman to be honest. I think running Terry, Mims, Perriman (assuming latter two perform well this year) would be just fine because teams may not have three corners that can match those guys in size/speed.

In his second year with Peyton, they were running DT, Sanders, Decker, Welker, Latimer. I think it was all about creating 1 on 1 matchups, and having either a size or speed advantage.

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I would take him regardless of Perriman to be honest. I think running Terry, Mims, Perriman (assuming latter two perform well this year) would be just fine because teams may not have three corners that can match those guys in size/speed.

In his second year with Peyton, they were running DT, Sanders, Decker, Welker, Latimer. I think it was all about creating 1 on 1 matchups, and having either a size or speed advantage.

I mean I'd take him regardless too but I wouldn't expect it. I think in terms of likelihood of having a given number of receivers on the field for the Jets - 3>2>4>5>1. Think they're trying to build an outside group distinct from a slot group. If Mims or Perriman gets used as a big slot this year and does well I'd change my perspective from a likelihood standpoint.

Would gladly be wrong about them taking Terry if Perriman's back - and I'd rather have Terry than Perriman. I just don't know if they keep investing outside if Perriman gets signed longer term after this season. I can't see them going empty a whole lot and in addition to Gase being a big TE guy I think Darnold loves throwing to the tight end too so I can't really argue with making sure those guys are on the field.

On that note - this TE class projects to be good, Herndon hasn't proven he can stay on the field - and even if he has they run 12 enough that I think it's a sleeper position to get addressed this draft.