How I would rebuild...

ThunderbirdJet

With the recent news, obviously, the new team is making some of the "hard decisions" they talked about. After a lot of thought, here is what I'd do:

Draft Cutler. It takes a year on the bench before he's ready, and it's time to groom out next QB. Strong arm, good size, with some mobilty. Forget about a FA QB.... go with Bolly and Cutler.

Sign FA Center LeCharles Bentley from NO. With all of these cuts, this is the one "big" FA signing.

Draft the BART at 2.4, maybe Scott, or McNiell.

In the third round, take the best remaining OG..... Lutui or Joseph.

That would be one rookie on either side of Center, the LG and the RT. Moore and Jones remain the starters at RG and LT.

Now, to the defense. With what I hope is an end of third round comp pick, look at the LB's remianing on the board, with an eye towards the 3-4. Maybe an ILB, while moving Vilma to the OLB, with Barton on the other side, and Hobson at the other ILB spot.

Grady Jackson might be a relatively cheap fill in as a slant or NT, while I hold out hope for a KNOWN project in Pouha to improve in his second year, now with some good coaching in place. I was mortified that he got no extra coaching attention in training camp last year that I could observe. This kid has the tools.... his technique sucks. He has the size, strength and explosiveness to be solid in the middle. He fails to use his arms and hands correctly, and takes steps that are too long, instead of keeping his feet far apart and taking the short choppy steps he needs to.... as of now, it's too easy to get him off balance. I expect a big improvement from him this year.

I think we get a high draft spot in 2007..... that is the time to look at RB's and WR's, early. Then, in 2008, I see a team that could do some damage, especially with a reasonable cap situation, and the ability to get some quality FA's.

These picks may not look sexy, but it's the approach I'd like to see. Thoughts?

i think putting vilma at the OLB spot of a 3-4 defense limits his abilities, in addition to the fact hobson cant be our strong hold at ILB, not unless mangini works a wonder with the kid(which is possible i suppose). Next...i dunno about grady jackson. Its not that he's not very skilled, and would be a great addition, i just dont believe we'll get him.

It's gonna be hard to get Bentley as well. You are going have to outbid a lot of teams to get him and your salary cap problems might really limit you. The guy is young and he's been to the pro-bowl playing two different positions.

If in fact, Fabini, Mawae and Kendall are gone, along with a renog of Martin's contract, I think there might be room for Bentley. I also expect Abraham's number to go elsewhere.... either a trade, or an outright release. There are three pretty good centers in this draft too. That might hurt Bentley's FA value. If Mawae leaves, I don't think that even a rebuilding team can afford three rookie starters on the O line. That's why I think Mangini and Tanny would go after Bentley with a full court press.

says who? fabini is unargueably the worst and least desirable of the 3, he will not be a jet next year.

for the vet minimum fabini is a great backup OT. he can play both positions if needed and his biggest problem has been his body breaking down the last couple of seasons. if he doesn't have to grind through 16 games he should be fine as a backup.

I don't know if they will have enough dinero to sign a premier OL. I think they will be looking for stopgap guys, tough guys, maybe even a little older, who will sign for a year or two with not a lot guaranteed, in an attempt to clear cap space for next year. What did Parcells call them--hold-the-fort guys?

Archived