Jets take peek at an OT 'beast'

Smizzy

Jets take peek at an OT 'beast'

Friday, February 24, 2006

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

INDIANAPOLIS -- Oh, yeah. The Jets also have some scouting to do this week at the combine.

In between meetings with agents in an attempt to get under the salary cap, coach Eric Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum have taken a look at a few prospects who will likely be available when they select at No. 4 overall in April's draft.

One of them -- 6-6, 312-pound offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- stepped to the podium for a brief press conference yesterday and immediately won over a crowd of reporters with a couple doses of humor.

"My fellow Americans," Ferguson said with a President-like gesture.

Then, shortly before he responded to a question about a growth spurt early in his college career at Virginia by simply saying, "Ensure," (a nod to the nutritional supplement drink) Ferguson displayed a healthy confidence about his ability.

"I'm a beast," he said. "I see myself as a bodyguard. I'm personally responsible for the health and welfare of my quarterback, and I'll do anything in my means to protect him."

But will that quarterback be Chad Pennington (or whoever lines up for the Jets on opening day)? Ferguson wasn't sure.

"I haven't spoken to many teams, but will have the chance to as the days progress," he said. "It's still open. I'm still waiting and listening."

If Ferguson was at Mangini's press conference, he didn't hear much. The coach refused to speak about Ferguson or any other specific player. And if Ferguson, a Long Island native, is headed home, he probably won't know until draft day.

But it is something he said he would like to experience.

"Definitely. Going back home is something I think every kid dreams of," Ferguson said.

Giants QB Eli Manning was asked yesterday during an interview on Sirius Radio about his plans for training this off-season with TE Jeremy Shockey and WR Plaxico Burress. Both players spent much of last off-season in Miami instead of East Rutherford, starting a mild controversy when Manning suggested Shockey should have been at Giants Stadium.

During Super Bowl week, Peyton Manning said he told Eli to go down to Miami if that's what it would take to find a rhythm with his top two targets. The younger Manning is obviously considering his brother's advice.

"We've got to figure out a way to get some throwing down," Eli said. "For a week, I'd go down to Miami and get with those two guys, see if we can throw three times that week, throw some routes, get a groove and then have them come up to New York."

In a slight show of defiance, Rutgers QB Ryan Hart walked in the lobby outside the media room at the combine even though he wasn't invited by the selection committee. Hart and his agent, Andrew Bondarowicz, spoke to coaches and scouts to remind them Hart plans to wow them at Rutgers' Pro Day on March 22.

"It's disappointing," Hart said of not being invited to the combine. "I wish I could put my finger on it because I've been (ticked) off for weeks. I'm just looking forward to proving people wrong."

"I'm a beast," he said. "I see myself as a bodyguard. I'm personally responsible for the health and welfare of my quarterback, and I'll do anything in my means to protect him."

Gotta love that.

The more I think about it, the Jets would be crazy not to go after D'Brick.

They would have a permanent fixture at LT for the next 10-12 years.

I agree. Brick is going to be a very special player at the NFL level.

It's not as if the Jets are going to go 10-6 next season. This team is 7-9 at the absolute very best. Another high draft beckons. The questions the Jets need to ask themselves are "Can we get a quarterback comparable to Jay Cutler next year? and "Can we get an offensive tackle comparable to D'Brickashaw Ferguson next year?". IMO, there is only one yes, and it is not to the first question.

It's not as if the Jets are going to go 10-6 next season. This team is 7-9 at the absolute very best. Another high draft beckons. The questions the Jets need to ask themselves are "Can we get a quarterback comparable to Jay Cutler next year? and "Can we get an offensive tackle comparable to D'Brickashaw Ferguson next year?". IMO, there is only one yes, and it is not to the first question.

Well said Troll.

D'Brick could be another Tony Boselli in his prime.:eek:

The more I think about it, the Jets would be crazy not to go after D'Brick.

They would have a permanent fixture at LT for the next 10-12 years.

Bills release offensive lineman Williams

Orchard Park, NY (Sports Network) - The Buffalo Bills released offensive lineman Mike Williams on Thursday, severing ties with their 2002 first- round draft choice.

"We are announcing today that we have released Mike Williams," Buffalo general manager Marv Levy said. "We appreciate his efforts and wish him well in what lies ahead in his career."

The 26-year-old Williams never lived up to the collegiate hype after being regarded as one of the nation's top lineman at Texas. He started just six games in 2005 and struggled at multiple positions on the offensive line. Williams started 48 career games over four seasons in Buffalo and is now free to sign with another team.

Pick #NFL TeamPlayerPositionCollege

1Houston TexansDavid CarrQBFresno State University

2Carolina PanthersJulius PeppersDEUniversity of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

3Detroit LionsJoey HarringtonQBUniversity of Oregon

4Buffalo BillsMike WilliamsOTUniversity of Texas

I'm not saying Ferguson will be a bust, but it seems that those that want him drated by the Jets completely rule that out as a possibilty. He is NOT garanteed to be a franchise LT in the NFL. All draft picks carry some risk.... let's just not forget that Ferguson isn't immune to the possibility either.

Bills release offensive lineman Williams

Orchard Park, NY (Sports Network) - The Buffalo Bills released offensive lineman Mike Williams on Thursday, severing ties with their 2002 first- round draft choice.

"We are announcing today that we have released Mike Williams," Buffalo general manager Marv Levy said. "We appreciate his efforts and wish him well in what lies ahead in his career."

The 26-year-old Williams never lived up to the collegiate hype after being regarded as one of the nation's top lineman at Texas. He started just six games in 2005 and struggled at multiple positions on the offensive line. Williams started 48 career games over four seasons in Buffalo and is now free to sign with another team.

Pick #NFL TeamPlayerPositionCollege

1Houston TexansDavid CarrQBFresno State University

2Carolina PanthersJulius PeppersDEUniversity of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

3Detroit LionsJoey HarringtonQBUniversity of Oregon

4Buffalo BillsMike WilliamsOTUniversity of Texas

I'm not saying Ferguson will be a bust, but it seems that those that want him drated by the Jets completely rule that out as a possibilty. He is NOT garanteed to be a franchise LT in the NFL. All draft picks carry some risk.... let's just not forget that Ferguson isn't immune to the possibility either.

Mike Williams was fat and lazy. D'Brick is an athletic speciman. That's a terrible comparison. Just because a pair of players play the same position and go top 5 does not mean they have a damn thing in common besides that.

Mike Williams was fat and lazy. D'Brick is an athletic speciman. That's a terrible comparison. Just because a pair of players play the same position and go top 5 does not mean they have a damn thing in common besides that.

The only point I was making was that sure thing O linemen can, and sometimes DO bust. Gallery has never lived up to being a 2. If you are going to sit there and say that there is zero chance that Ferguson could not live up to being a #4 overall, you are delusional, but that is what most of the pro Ferguson people seem to think. No Player, EVER, is a lock. Not Bush, Leinart, Ferguson or anyone else in this draft.

Brick is a beast and we must draft him to protect either Chad / Croyle / Ramsey / Brooks...WHOEVER! And so he can block for Martin / Houston. Brick will help make this line younger along with Moore and Jones for the future.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Mike Williams was one lazy SOB who never worked hard on the field.

He is the complete opposite of D'Brick according to folks who have watched D'Brick practice and play.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Mike Williams was one lazy SOB who never worked hard on the field.

He is the complete opposite of D'Brick according to folks who have watched D'Brick practice and play.

You guys have trouble reading? The point was not to compare the two, but to say that any draft pick can bust. Ferguson is no different.... he could bust as well. I don't expect him to, but I think he's over rated.... that was the point... he's no LOCK to be a franchise LT. He may be, probably has a 75% chance, which is better than any of the 3 QB's in this draft..... but NO player is a lock.

He may be, probably has a 75% chance, which is better than any of the 3 QB's in this draft..... but NO player is a lock.

I totally agree with you.

No one can say for certain that any player will be a "lock".

However, as you state, 75% is much better chance then the 3 QB's right now.

Good point.

I totally agree with you.

No one can say for certain that any player will be a "lock".

However, as you state, 75% is much better chance then the 3 QB's right now.

Good point.

I may be wrong but I think it is alot harder to get it right on a franchise QB than it will be with an stud OT. If all is equal you have to go with the odds and take Brick. Remember to have patience with the player as no one will come into the league and tear it up

I may be wrong but I think it is alot harder to get it right on a franchise QB than it will be with an stud OT. If all is equal you have to go with the odds and take Brick. Remember to have patience with the player as no one will come into the league and tear it up

I pretty much said as much.... however, who will be the Jets QB? First round QB's generally work out about 55% of the time. OT's about 75%. WE have a LT, we don't have a QB. That evens the odds, based on need. It boils down to whether or not the scouts have it right. One of these three QB's, maybe two of them will work out. I think Cutler and Leinart are those two who will work out.

Rule #1 of the NFL draft:

Do not select a player based on need in the 1st round (you can fill that in the later rounds), but draft the best player available, regardless of position.

And..... that's why I want Cutler. His potential upside is greater than any O lineman's, in terms of the future of the franchise. I have had Cutler ranked as the best of the three QB's for some time.... Jabba (at TGG) Green eggs here, can verify that. But, I'm pretty much done with that debate, I've typed myself into oblivion already explaining my views on it.... and I'm typed out.

Who will be the best guesser? I'll just wait for the draft, and see how it plays out, but when the pros can't agree, it's not likely that we who frequent message boards will either. It's just my opinion.

My choices at 4 look like this:

Cutler

Hawk

Ferguson

I think the last piece that should be added to a rebuild is the RB, and I'd wait for next year, where the Jets should be easilly in the top ten again.

Troll explain something to me..The Tuna took a 1-15 Team to to 9-7 in his first year..Why do you think the Jets could only be 7-9 at the very best? Keep in mind 97 had Neil as the QB and Murrell as the Back! I have always thought Good Coaching overcomes Mediocre Talent! And on both O and D we haven't seen what this staff has put together.. Wouldn't a smart Fan wait till at least Camp and preseason to make a prediction of 7-9??;)

And..... that's why I want Cutler. His potential upside is greater than any O lineman's, in terms of the future of the franchise.

Ryan Leaf and Joey Harrington had great "upside" potential as well.

Bottom line, it is a huge crapshoot with QB's.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if I'm Mangini and hold on to the 4th pick, I go D'Brick.

Troll explain something to me..The Tuna took a 1-15 Team to to 9-7 in his first year..Why do you think the Jets could only be 7-9 at the very best? Keep in mind 97 had Neil as the QB and Murrell as the Back! I have always thought Good Coaching overcomes Mediocre Talent! And on both O and D we haven't seen what this staff has put together.. Wouldn't a smart Fan wait till at least Camp and preseason to make a prediction of 7-9??;)

We do not know a whole lot about Eric Mangini's coaching skills yet, but one thing we can be fairly sure of is that he will not have the immediate impact on this franchise that Parcells did. Parcells was a miracle worker and it's foolish to think a 35-year old that has never been a head coach can come in and do the same thing. Mangini will be growing along with the players. Parcells was already full grown.

Also, Parcells did not have to replace the entire offense and he did not come into a situation in which the team was $30 million over the cap. That is just too much to overcome for a bunch of guys that have never done this before. I expect the Jets to contend for the playoffs in 2007, and have a bigger goal in 2008. Next year is going to be uglier than a Curtis Martin stat-line during the playoffs.

Archived