Texans: Zero Interest in trading Watson. Stand-off mode engaged

neckdemon

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

Well I don’t feel that way. ;) 

1. I think he’s gotten way too much credit for Becton (thrilled as I am with the pick, it’s not like it came down to Becton & 3 bust tackles and he shrewdly picked the right one; far from it).

He could have panicked and traded up to get Becton.

Or, he could have taken Jeudy like Maccagnan probably would have.

Taking the right guy at the right position, even if it's rather obvious, is a huge improvement from our past GM's.

Meanwhile, a lot of people here ripped him for the pick at the time, because they wanted Wirfs.  Wirfs may well end up the better OT but until we see him at LT, Becton was the right pick at the right spot for this team.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He could have panicked and traded up to get Becton.

Or, he could have taken Jeudy like Maccagnan probably would have.

Taking the right guy at the right position, even if it's rather obvious, is a huge improvement from our past GM's.

Meanwhile, a lot of people here ripped him for the pick at the time, because they wanted Wirfs.  Wirfs may well end up the better OT but until we see him at LT, Becton was the right pick at the right spot for this team.

Being less cold than 0 Kelvin isn't therefore being warm. Douglas has a lot to prove as a GM. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Being less cold than 0 Kelvin isn't therefore being warm. Douglas has a lot to prove as a GM. 

Of course he does but saying he deserves little credit for the Becton pick is a bit much. 

And I don't know how you can be "meh" about Mims at this stage.  In limited action and with no real offseason, he looked like a top 8 or so WR from the 2020 draft class (among 2020 rookie WR's, his 39 yards per game played ranked 9th, ahead of the likes of Henry Ruggs, Michael Pittman and Jalen Reagor...all taken ahead of him) despite being the 13th WR off the board.  And he did that despite awful QB play.  He looked the part of at least a high end WR2.

Perine was definitely a bad pick.  No argument there.  The jury is still out on the others you're knocking at the moment.  I think Davis, Zuniga and Clark could all end up being very useful players for this team, to varying degrees.  Becton, Mims, and 2 other prospects from this class "hitting" would make it a solid one.  Until they do its mostly a question mark, not one we can at this moment judge to be a good or bad one overall.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course he does but saying he deserves little credit for the Becton pick is a bit much. 

And I don't know how you can be "meh" about Mims at this stage.  In limited action and with no real offseason, he looked like a top 8 or so WR from the 2020 draft class (among 2020 rookie WR's, his 39 yards per game played ranked 9th, ahead of the likes of Henry Ruggs, Michael Pittman and Jalen Reagor...all taken ahead of him) despite being the 13th WR off the board.  And he did that despite awful QB play.  He looked the part of at least a high end WR2.

Perine was definitely a bad pick.  No argument there.  The jury is still out on the others you're knocking at the moment.  I think Davis, Zuniga and Clark could all end up being very useful players for this team, to varying degrees.  Becton, Mims, and 2 other prospects from this class "hitting" would make it a solid one.  Until they do its mostly a question mark, not one we can at this moment judge to be a good or bad one overall.  

The Jets were all-in on an OT the way their offseason went. Whatever an idiot like Maccagnan might have done is irrelevant. There's no way a sane GM passes on an OT at #11 with his choice of two good ones on the board and a zillion WRs in that draft class. He couldn't have made a bad pick between them, no matter which of the two anyone personally favors. 

Also top 8 or so WR from a single draft class is not therefore a good pick. Actually when you put it in those terms it sounds even worse. Top 8 WR in the league is something to be proud of. Top 8 WR from a single draft class awards no bragging rights. 

Thinking someone is going to be a useful player for this team is worthless. One could say that about any failed rookie on any team in the NFL, and you don't get to count any players (other than Becton) as "hitting" until they actually hit. You know that. 

Rate these 7 prospects following their respective rookie seasons (regardless of draft slot/round):

1. Davis
  2. Zuniga
  3. Clark
  4. Mims
  5. Darron Lee
  6. Lorenzo Mauldin
  7. Juston Burris

Seems to me all 3 of these Maccagnan busts showed more promise as rookies than the 4 Douglas players. You don't get to credibly call them anything until they've actually done something. At least 2 of those 4 Douglas picks might not even make the team this year, on a team that needs everything. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

JD's draft was underwhelming so far.  That 2nd round trade down was bad.

Mims needs a leap be a good pick.  He looked stiff out there this year.

Of course he has a ton of excuses, which are or will be gone next year.  I hope Mims puts it together.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets were all-in on an OT the way their offseason went. Whatever an idiot like Maccagnan might have done is irrelevant. There's no way a sane GM passes on an OT at #11 with his choice of two good ones on the board and a zillion WRs in that draft class. He couldn't have made a bad pick between them, no matter which of the two anyone personally favors. 

Also top 8 or so WR from a single draft class is not therefore a good pick. Actually when you put it in those terms it sounds even worse. Top 8 WR in the league is something to be proud of. Top 8 WR from a single draft class awards no bragging rights. 

Thinking someone is going to be a useful player for this team is worthless. One could say that about any failed rookie on any team in the NFL, and you don't get to count any players (other than Becton) as "hitting" until they actually hit. You know that. 

Rate these 7 prospects following their respective rookie seasons (regardless of draft slot/round):

1. Davis
  2. Zuniga
  3. Clark
  4. Mims
  5. Darron Lee
  6. Lorenzo Mauldin
  7. Juston Burris

Seems to me all 3 of these Maccagnan busts showed more promise as rookies than the 4 Douglas players. You don't get to credibly call them anything until they've actually done something. At least 2 of those 4 Douglas picks might not even make the team this year, on a team that needs everything. 

Top 8 WR from a loaded WR class is indeed impressive.  And I think he absolutely has the upside to be top 4 and a true WR1.  

Meanwhile, when did Lee, Mauldin and Burris show any promise?  And did those rookies have a COVID-shortened offseason to prep for the season?  I thought not.  

7 hours ago, dcJet said:

Of course he has a ton of excuses, which are or will be gone next year.  I hope Mims puts it together.

Who should Douglas have taken instead of trading down in the 2nd?  

Stiff.  lol.

12 hours ago, dcJet said:

Mims will be fine.  Becton is a stud but he alone isn’t fixing this OL.  Hall looks like he can be a serviceable #2 Cover Corner

rest of that draft looks pretty crap