Texans: Zero Interest in trading Watson. Stand-off mode engaged

neckdemon

Here’s something we can all agree on, Watson wants out. If the Texans remain defiant on trading him, both parties involved are going to be put into a precarious position. It’s starting to look like this standoff will continue into the start of free agency on March 17th. Once teams start to sign players they will start to lose cap flexibility to attain Watson if the Texans change their mind and starts to ponder some trade offers. As of right now they are calling Watson’s bluff into thinking he won’t sit out. Who blinks first?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

If the Texans, who are already 13 Million over the cap, trade Deshaun Watson before June 1st, the dead money is 21.6M with a cap saving of just 5.6M. 

Should the Texans capitulate to Watson, it's got to be in June or later.

They can easily announce a deal before pulling the trigger in June 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Here’s something we can all agree on, Watson wants out. If the Texans remain defiant on trading him, both parties involved are going to be put into a precarious position. It’s starting to look like this standoff will continue into the start of free agency on March 17th. Once teams start to sign players they will start to lose cap flexibility to attain Watson if the Texans change their mind and starts to ponder some trade offers. As of right now they are calling Watson’s bluff into thinking he won’t sit out. Who blinks first?

Also, the ring chasers will be gone. 

On 1/30/2021 at 1:00 AM, MykePM said:

Was that before, during, or after the 46-yard highlight-reel touchdown run that Sam busted on the Broncos?

Oh wow.  Then what happened?  Oh yeah, Darnold lost to a 3rd string QB.  And in the process injured his shoulder on a play that was his own fault, as the doofus held onto to the ball for so long they clocked the time with a sun dial.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

51 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

If the Texans, who are already 13 Million over the cap, trade Deshaun Watson before June 1st, the dead money is 21.6M with a cap saving of just 5.6M. 

Should the Texans capitulate to Watson, it's got to be in June or later.

They're not going to pass up on 2021 draft capital just to avoid some cap penalties.  They'll either trade him before the draft or not until next season.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They're not going to pass up on 2021 draft capital just to avoid some cap penalties.  They'll either trade him before the draft or not until next season.

Exactly. So there are some people that think the Texans will sell to their fan base that we're trading Deshaun Watson but won't have a high draft pick to grab their new QB this year because of some dead money? Ehhh...no. After the draft everyone will have their QB situation set.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Exactly.  Who shows their cards first.  But Watson does not have to show his cards until training camp; Texans have a firm deadline, being the draft.  No reason for Watson to show his hand until after the deadline of the draft passes.  Texans are the ones that have a decision to make: either cut a deal before the draft and get resources to help the team in 21, or call Watson's bluff and potentially be without Watson or any significant draft capital until 2022.

Will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 1

These are professional GM’s. Nobody with that job title is going to make it publicly known that they have no leverage and that they are being forced to trade a player. They have to show some power or they’ll get taken advantage of by other teams and receive less than adequate offers. I don’t care if we get Watson or not because his cost will set us back. Personally, I’d like to see the Texans hold true, you don’t want to see the NFL turn into the NBA where guys can force their way out with a single tweet.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets passed up on 2020 draft capital  to hold onto until Jamal Adams because they had no intention of trading him. That is, until July 2020 because he went radioactive taking down everyone  in the Jets organization that he could.

The Texans are not  trading Watson because they would be crazy to unless he goes Jamal Adams all over the Texans.

There are no absolutes about how the 2021 NFL QB carousel is going to go down. 

9 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The Jets passed up on 2020 draft capital  to hold onto until Jamal Adams because they had no intention of trading him. That is, until July 2020 because he went radioactive taking down everyone  in the Jets organization that he could.

The Texans are not  trading Watson because they would be crazy to unless he goes Jamal Adams all over the Texans.

Different situation. Jamaal still had 2 years at a reasonable salary and no leverage. Watson has all the leverage signing a big extension and having a no trade clause. 

Bad example

• Sympathy 1

This would be great, worst thing this franchise could do is trade multiple first round picks for a good, not great, QB.

Watson is the 2nd best QB in the league under the age of 30. If he’s not “great”, he’s good enough. Because only Mahomes is great AND young, in that case.

And really? The “worst” thing this franchise can do is trade for a franchise QB? The worst? For a franchise that hasn’t had a QB in 50 years?
  • Upvote 2

Report: Texans ‘weeding out’ employees not hired by Jack Easterby, Nick Caserio

Mark Lane
Mon, February 8, 2021, 4:47 PM
The Houston Texans are making changes, not just to their coaching staff, but to their other aspects of the football operation.

Hidden inside Adam Schefter’s report on the Texans’ insistence to other teams that they will not trade quarterback Deshaun Watson was a paragraph regarding the dismissal of employees.

One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work.

The Texans have gotten rid of director of football administration Kevin Krajcovic, equipment manager Mike Parson, and Doug West — at least, these are employees whose dismissals have been leaked to the public.

If the Caserio-Easterby regime is assembling a column of individuals loyal to them, it could make the Watson situation worse given the lack of communication between the three-time Pro Bowler and his new general manager and his new coach, David Culley.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow.  Then what happened?  Oh yeah, Darnold lost to a 3rd string QB.  And in the process injured his shoulder on a play that was his own fault, as the doofus held onto to the ball for so long they clocked the time with a sun dial.  

Hey, if people want to raise valid criticisms of Sam, have at it.  God knows that there’s plenty of fodder there, and you’ve certainly made a cottage industry out of it.  But my post was in response to someone who posted a still image of Sam in an awkward position and compared it to the Butt Fumble - and I thought that was weak and deserved a rebuttal.  Glad I could help you get a little of your seemingly inexhaustible supply of vitriol towards Sam out, though.

• Post of the Week 2

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Different situation. Jamaal still had 2 years at a reasonable salary and no leverage. Watson has all the leverage signing a big extension and having a no trade clause. 

Bad example

Every situation is different, of course there are no apples to apples.

The truth is we don't know, no one knows, there are no absolutes here because there are a multitude of possible permutations to each situation,

Watson's leverage is to sit out and get fined. The team does not want to trade him, any team would be absolutely insane to trade him. A 'no trade' only means something only if the team gives in to their top four quarterback franchise quarterback, to 'social media' his way out of town.  

Hypothetically, If a team comes up with an insane offer for Watson the Texans, a team who does not want to trade their QB under any circumstances, will be forced to consider the offer. If they deem it so amazing an offer that they find it acceptable to trade away a rare QB talent, then the offer gets presented to the qb who wants to leave town. Will Watson turn it down because of his no trade clause? Hardly.

Adam's leverage was to sit out or shoot his way out. Both situations would incur fines. Joe Douglas had zero intention of trading Adams until Adams made himself toxic to the organization and Seattle came up with a wildly generous trade offer. 

You can look at this from ten different perspectives and come up with a different argument, mine is just one.

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Let me know when that lunatic gm stops demanding QW and 8 first round picks

Because that is the "ask" when you have no desire or inclination to trade the player.

What's Watson's camp going to do? Complain that the Texans overvalue him?

He's not a lunatic GM. He is a smart man. No one in their right mind trades a 25 years old pro bowl QB. Teams have been spending 50+ years trying to find a player like Watson. He is worth Laramy Tunsil's weight in gold. 

9 hours ago, dcJet said:

Mark Lane
The Houston Texans are making changes, not just to their coaching staff, but to their other aspects of the football operation.

Hidden inside Adam Schefter’s report on the Texans’ insistence to other teams that they will not trade quarterback Deshaun Watson was a paragraph regarding the dismissal of employees.

One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work.

The Texans have gotten rid of director of football administration Kevin Krajcovic, equipment manager Mike Parson, and Doug West — at least, these are employees whose dismissals have been leaked to the public.

If the Caserio-Easterby regime is assembling a column of individuals loyal to them, it could make the Watson situation worse given the lack of communication between the three-time Pro Bowler and his new general manager and his new coach, David Culley.

OMG! You mean the team that hired the new GM and HC is cleaning house and hiring people the new administration knows!? That is a first. This changes everything.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dcJet said:

Mark Lane

Imagine the gall of a new GM wanting to bring in his own people and not continue with the crew that went 4-12 and got him the job in the first place.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Watson is the 2nd best QB in the league under the age of 30. If he’s not “great”, he’s good enough. Because only Mahomes is great AND young, in that case.

And really? The “worst” thing this franchise can do is trade for a franchise QB? The worst? For a franchise that hasn’t had a QB in 50 years?

The worst thing they can do is trade a huge amount of draft capital for a very risky player. I see him as a huge risk, you see him as an elite franchise QB. I suppose if I saw things your way, I would probably agree with your stance, but I don't. I'd feel a little more willing to trade huge draft capital if I believed we were a QB away from truly competing. I dont' think we are close to that and in fact I think we may be worse than the 4-12 team he would be leaving.

And I know, I know, this is about the long term, except I think he is a huge long term risk in many ways. I see this as having a very, very low probability of working out.

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The worst thing they can do is trade a huge amount of draft capital for a very risky player. I see him as a huge risk, you see him as an elite franchise QB. I suppose if I saw things your way, I would probably agree with your stance, but I don't. I'd feel a little more willing to trade huge draft capital if I believed we were a QB away from truly competing. I dont' think we are close to that and in fact I think we may be worse than the 4-12 team he would be leaving.

And I know, I know, this is about the long term, except I think he is a huge long term risk in many ways. I see this as having a very, very low probability of working out.

He's a top 5 QB at age 25, and he's only going to get better.  He's as low-risk as you can find at QB.  Bring him in and you have over a decade of franchise QB goodness.   

The only "risk" involved is giving up the Guard, CB and WR2 you'd sacrifice with the picks.  I'm good with that.