CB Position - worried about the depth

With Farley needing back surgery, I don’t see him as draftable in either the first or second. Back injuries like he has don’t get better. I don’t care how great he is, if he only plays 1 game a year it’s pointless.

With that said, I just don’t see the high end prospects at the CB position outside of a couple guys. Am I missing something? Are there prospects that may get drafted later on that I’m just missing?

I bring this up due to our obvious need for at least 1 more solid body in the defensive backfield.

I still think it’s more likely than we give it credit for that the Jets largely roll with existing guys rather than going after corner early. There are a lot of guys signed multiple years who I expect to make this roster and so there isn’t a ton of space to add bodies. 

Nickel is more obvious a short term need than outside - similar lack of clear starter but way less depth and nobody signed after this year. It’s just Guidry right now.

Obviously that can change if they bring in Nelson outside, bring back Poole for the nickel, etc.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

To me it is pretty shocking we have not signed a CB. 

CB is not only iffy player wise it is shockingly shallow depth wise.

Still 5 months until the season starts, and a lot of vet FAs that are out there.  Secondary wave of FA has never materialized for CBs.   I wonder if the strength of the draft means that many teams will wait until the draft and look to sign some of these 30 year old vets after the draft.

I still think we will have at least two additional CBs on the roster by September.  Day 1 or 2 draft pick and a vet FA signing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

With Farley needing back surgery, I don’t see him as draftable in either the first or second. Back injuries like he has don’t get better. I don’t care how great he is, if he only plays 1 game a year it’s pointless.

With that said, I just don’t see the high end prospects at the CB position outside of a couple guys. Am I missing something? Are there prospects that may get drafted later on that I’m just missing?

I bring this up due to our obvious need for at least 1 more solid body in the defensive backfield.

If you had told me last April that Bryce Hall would be available in the 5th, I would have thought that you were crazy or high (and if it was the latter, I would have asked you to share). Maybe the Jets step on sh!t 2 years in a row and grab Farley in the 3rd. 

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Still 5 months until the season starts, and a lot of vet FAs that are out there.  Secondary wave of FA has never materialized for CBs.   I wonder if the strength of the draft means that many teams will wait until the draft and look to sign some of these 30 year old vets after the draft.

I still think we will have at least two additional CBs on the roster by September.  Day 1 or 2 draft pick and a vet FA signing.

Yeah we have options but the age old thing GMs say about FA is that you sign guys to cover glaring holes so that you do not feel you must draft guys high.

I just don't want to see us pass on a fine OL prospect in favour of a CB because we have left a big hole going into the draft.

• Upvote 1

1st round 

Patrick Surtain

Kelvin Joseph

Jaycee Horn

Asante Samuel Jr

Caleb Farley (injury concern)

Greg Newman

2nd Round

Aaron Robinson

Ifeatu Melinfonwu

Eric Stokes

Paulson Adebo

3rd round or later + Nickel

Elijah Molden

Tre Brown

Rodarious Williams

Tay Gowan 

Benjamin St. Juste

Darren Hall

Chris Wilcox 

Shemar Jean-Charles

There’s about 10 dudes that could come in and be our best CB on day 1. It doesn’t seem likely that 10 CBs will go ahead of our 34th pick. 

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

1st round 

Patrick Surtain

Kelvin Joseph

Jaycee Horn

Asante Samuel Jr

Caleb Farley (injury concern)

Greg Newman

2nd Round

Aaron Robinson

Ifeatu Melinfonwu

Eric Stokes

Paulson Adebo

3rd round or later + Nickel

Elijah Molden

Tre Brown

Rodarious Williams

Tay Gowan 

Benjamin St. Juste

Darren Hall

Chris Wilcox 

Shemar Jean-Charles

There’s about 10 dudes that could come in and be our best CB on day 1. It doesn’t seem likely that 10 CBs will go ahead of our 34th pick. 

I don't agree outside of a couple guys like newsome, horn, surtain, samuel. Just cause there are a large number of CBs doesn't mean they're good. If we get one of the four I mentioned early on, fine, but I'm totally unimpressed with the rest mentioned. Again, depth is my concern and I don't see us landing a starting caliber guy if we wait. I would hate for us to swing at one of these lesser, flawed prospects just because we need a body when talented players at deeper positions will be available late such as WR & OL.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I don't agree outside of a couple guys like newsome, horn, surtain, samuel. Just cause there are a large number of CBs doesn't mean they're good. If we get one of the four I mentioned early on, fine, but I'm totally unimpressed with the rest mentioned. Again, depth is my concern and I don't see us landing a starting caliber guy if we wait. I would hate for us to swing at one of these lesser, flawed prospects just because we need a body when talented players at deeper positions will be available late such as WR & OL.

I believe you don’t like all of them. I hat honestly don’t think I know which of the top 8 names on there is gonna be the best CB.