Jason Whitlock-Why V.Young is dropping

Bugg

For Vince Young, it's called a posse, for celebrities, it's called an "entourage". For political figures, it's just, what, security? I don't know. The point is, a lot of people have a group of people around them when they go to do things. It's actually the norm. In school, if you mostly travelled around alone to do things, you were a "loner", and it was a bad thing. But according to you guys, it's not a bad thing, it is the normal thing, and the opposite is "bad".

Wrong, and bear in mind when I say this I have no idea of the attire and appearance of the "posse" in question.

But to answer your question, it's a posse when the group is wearing G-Unit outfits, Jerseys, running wear, hats, hats to the side, jewelry draped everywhere, etc.. It is an entourage when they are dressed in suits. It is security when they are dressed in suits and carrying guns. Big difference.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wrong, and bear in mind when I say this I have no idea of the attire and appearance of the "posse" in question.

But to answer your question, it's a posse when the group is wearing G-Unit outfits, Jerseys, running wear, hats, hats to the side, jewelry draped everywhere, etc.. It is an entourage when they are dressed in suits. It is security when they are dressed in suits and carrying guns. Big difference.

Well, I'm sure atleast some of them have guns. I don't see how the choice of attire changes the function in any way. President Bush is still President Bush when he isn't wearing a suit. Most businesses let you wear casual clothing on Fridays, but you do the same job and they expect the same performance.

Well, I'm sure atleast some of them have guns. I don't see how the choice of attire changes the function in any way. President Bush is still President Bush when he isn't wearing a suit. Most businesses let you wear casual clothing on Fridays, but you do the same job and they expect the same performance.

Whether you like it or not, there is alwayts going to be a stigma attached to your appearance in the business world. If I want to do business with another company and set up a meeting, I am certainly going to have a different opinion if the reps from that com-pany come in to the meeting with hats ****ed sideways, sunglasses, sweatsuit outfits, and bling bling hanging all over them than if they came in wearing suits. This is regardless of the color of their skin. That's just plain reality.

To go a little further in giving a good example, look no further than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The man showed up to all his interviews in a suit. He was professional and took each experience as an interview to build his stock. He succeeded, granted he was already a likely top 5 pick. The difference was as a top 5 pick, it meant either 4 or 5. Now you hear rumors of him going 2 or 3. Might not seem significant overall, but to him it will mean millions. The kid knows how to mingle amongst the moneymen, and he will reap those benefits. Vince Young's "posse" that he so greatly seems to need has cost him money, likely in the millions since he very well could last up until 10 or later.

To go a little further in giving a good example, look no further than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The man showed up to all his interviews in a suit. He was professional and took each experience as an interview to build his stock. He succeeded, granted he was already a likely top 5 pick. The difference was as a top 5 pick, it meant either 4 or 5. Now you hear rumors of him going 2 or 3. Might not seem significant overall, but to him it will mean millions. The kid knows how to mingle amongst the moneymen, and he will reap those benefits. Vince Young's "posse" that he so greatly seems to need has cost him money, likely in the millions since he very well could last up until 10 or later.

I guess that's where we basically differ in philosophy. When I want a job done, I want the people that are the most talented at that job, not someone that "looks" good. I've worked for companies that don't care what I dress in, and others that want a suit. The companies that don't enforce a dress code, I've generally liked better and I think have produced higher quality work for, because the atmosphere you're in does have an impact on your output. I know a few very succesful businessmen, mostly in computer software, that go to work in jeans and a t-shirt. By succesful I mean multi-millionaires to multi-billionaires, basically the kind of money Vince is looking to make, and probably won't reach the high end of. These guys don't care how you dress, they want results.

In the line of work I'm in now, you generally only wear suits when you need to, otherwise it's still formal usually but not that big of a deal. I certainly don't deal with people only in suits though.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if a GM passes on VY because his "posse" isn't in suits, or he wasn't in one, then that man is a total complete fool. I'm sure all the teams that passed on Randy Moss and Leveranues Coles now don't feel quite so happy about their decision. Some teams learn, others don't.

I just don't get this Posse thing. I don't have a posse. I don't know anybody who has a posse. If I had a posse, I wouldn't take them with me to a job interview. Maybe it's just semantics. Maybe posse is just ghetto for friends. Still, I wouldn't bring my friends to a job interview. Number one, I don't think that there presence could help me land the job. I would think that they would have just the opposite effect.

I know if I owned a company, and I scheduled somebody for a job interview, and they showed up with their posse, his resume would go right in the garbage can. First of all, obviously they must all be unemployed. Which tells me right off the bat, that everybody my prospect hangs around with is unemployed. Second of all, they must all really enjoy each other's company that they couldn't possibly think it appropriate otherwise that a a person going for a job interview, should go alone. I mean, if I hire this guy, obviously the posse will want to be with him while he's working, right? They just can't stand to not be with each other. What do they plan to do all day? Hang out in the lobby? The bathroom? The parking lot?

blacks have posses, whites have buddies. thats all.

I know what you mean, i wouldnt be taking all my annoying friends with me either. but, lets be fair he didnt really bring them to the job interview, he brought them to the event. he didnt go behind closed doors to talk with his boys

Politicians and celebrities are adults that are also not in school.

It's surprising to me that people are making a big deal out of this. Hell, most people GET jobs in the first place through their friends, so obviously you have atleast one other person go with you.

If I ever become rich, I'd definitely hook up some friends with jobs. I don't see why it's such a big deal. His agent is a former criminal defense attorney I believe, he's not just some random guy off the street. Drew Rosenhaus had to start somewhere, he basically became an agent right out of undergrad. An attorney is a bit further along the chain in agent matters I'd think.

what a friggin rabble rouser this guy is

dude dbrick is the biggest uncle tom in the draft. ...

He publicly stated that collard greens were for homos

yea, that was a joke too sperm

well this is all very interesting and it proves my original point and im serious now...

No matter what, white america is enamored with the black star who conforms to white culture and norms. there is no 2 ways about it.

good point - a rich and beloved white actor goes around with a slew of buddies , it is always an "enterage". It is NEVER even questioned by white folks

Boozer mentions Dbrick showing up business like - the media just loved it. If he showed up in an adidas sweatsuit, no posse and said the same thing he said and conducted himself the same exact way, this wouldnt be a story. But a young black man putting on a suit and saying/acting the way he did? thats a big story and thus his stock rises. Whats the difference? the suit.

The reality is that white and blacks share little culturaly. I think its great because variety is the spice of life.

Colin Powell is the exception, flava flav is the norm.

Then, white people love to say, "Im not racist, if Condoleeza rice bought the house next door to me id welcome her."

But if it was 50 cent with them gold teeth and he wasnt a star but he worked for the DMV, the same white person would be worrying about their investment.

Thats the thing fellas, blacks have to go the extra mile to prove themselves and their cultural quirks are never accepted. Im with you on the hiring thing, if a black guy came for an interview and he had gold teeth and a clock around his neck id throw the application in the garbage as fast as moses would, so im not any better than you guys.

But to deny there is any truth to all this is really being unfair

It's not white or black; it's green.If I'm a GM or owner, and I'm writing a really big check next month to one of these guys, I'd like to see that said player understands that this serious business and isn't time to have his Flava Flav buddy wannabes around. I don't think there's anything black or white about being a leech or a parasite, which is all his "posse" is right now. Here's a crazy idea-why don't all of VY's posse get their own jobs? Because someday soon, if Young grows up, he may realize it's too late once this collection of losers pisses his money away.

D'Brick shows up looking like he knows this is as serious as cancer, Young shows up like it's a party. Call it what ever you want-one guy cost himself money, and the other guy probably made himself money. That's maturity. Part of intelligence is knowing how others perceive you. D'Brick took appearance into account and helped himself, Young hurt himself.

well this is all very interesting and it proves my original point and im serious now...

No matter what, white america is enamored with the black star who conforms to white culture and norms. there is no 2 ways about it.

Totally different perspective all around, DK.

"White America" (are you speaking monolithically?) isn't enamored with black stars who "act white" (whatever that is).

I think we all can appreciate good manners, appropriate attire, and civility regardless of melanin, or lack thereof, in one's skin.

Look, there is a time and a place for everything. To reach adulthood, and not be socially aware of those things, is ignorance. Now, some people can take advice and/or criticism, while others become indignant, contrite, surly and sometimes even violent when you try to correct their behavior.

I think job interviews are excellent windows into what kind of a person you are dealing with.

For example, recently I was told not to wear brown socks with my suit, that I should wear black socks. I didn't think it was that big a deal, but since then I wear black socks with my suit. I wasn't embarrassed by the correction, I wasn't angry or hostile towards the person who made the suggestion, I think ultimately he was trying to help me adapt to my new social environment. Now, the extreme to that, is the guy who shows up at work wearing a baseball hat, who waits to be told to remove it, and then puts on a big production before removing it. Little stupid formalities that should not be an issue in the work place. Yet, some people want to make it an issue. Nobody wants to put up with nonsense like that all day. It's embarrassing for a grown man to have to explain to another grown man why he should take his baseball hat off inside the office. And then, even worse,wind up getting into a hostile confrontation with the man because of it.

Listen Dickie, it's real simple in my world:

You either act like you know who your daddy is, or you don't. You don't even have to actually know who your daddy is, it's ok if you don't-

But at least make an attempt to act like you do.

Kapisch?

:cheers:

as usual, on target post,,,

entourage usually are peole with resumes who are hired for past credentials,,

posse is usually friends who are there for comfort but no real skills to further career,,,

iverson has publicly stated that larry brown's biggest positive impact on his life was brown finally convincin AI to dump his posse,,

AI said his life has been 100% better since, he said he luved those guys but it was always bringin him trouble and it cost a ton

BTY, equating Vince Young with an Allen Iverson or Stephon Marbury isn't accurate in my opinion....Those two openly like to flout their Hip-Hop image, which may turn some off.

I personally don't care. I like watching and listening to Iverson or LeBron James more than I do Tim Duncan -- who, according to this thread, has a Colin Powell type demeanor :bag:

Back to Young, I'd equate him more to boxer Mike Tyson -- Humble, high-pitched voice athlete who may be too naive to know his hanger-ons are just seeking a "free ride" off his wealth and fame.

Young, however, is more grounded and law-abiding than Tyson -- who isn't, except Maurice Clarett?

If there is an evil bone in Vince Young's body, and I've read a zillion article about him for DD.com, I haven't seen it.....He may not be IQ smart, but he's a very friendly person. I hate to say it, but some of the Forrest Gump comparison's aren't that far off according to some Texas students.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America,

Kentuckians, Tennesseans, North Carolinians, Virginians and West Virginians will no longer be referred to as "HILLBILLIES."

You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS. :D

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America,

Kentuckians, Tennesseans, North Carolinians, Virginians and West Virginians will no longer be referred to as "HILLBILLIES."

You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS. :D

when is APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH scheduled?

Archived