What if we keep Abe & he sits out 2006?

Sperm Edwards

Just out of curiosity. I'm not saying this would happen, since Abe would be walking away from a guaranteed $8.3M for 2006. But what WOULD happen if we are unable to complete a trade to ship him elsewhere & he decides to sit out the season?

OK we retain his rights for 2007 blah blah blah. But what happens specifically?

1. Do we still get him for 2007 at the 2006 franchise money?

2. Do we now have to up it to the 2007 franchise $ for DE's?

3. Even though he sat out, would 2007 count as franchising the same player 3x and now he would get the top-5 avg salary of a QB (per new CBA rules) which will be over $10M?

Would we even want to franchise him again in 2007 after sulking at home in 2006 (and lose him with no compensation other than a 2008 comp pick)?

As much as I would like to stick it to that piece of ****, we can't afford to pay a guy $8 million to sit at home.

He needs to be traded, but I would break off talks with Atlanta and tell them to call me back when they get serious.

Just out of curiosity. I'm not saying this would happen, since Abe would be walking away from a guaranteed $8.3M for 2006. But what WOULD happen if we are unable to complete a trade to ship him elsewhere & he decides to sit out the season?

OK we retain his rights for 2007 blah blah blah. But what happens specifically?

1. Do we still get him for 2007 at the 2006 franchise money?

2. Do we now have to up it to the 2007 franchise $ for DE's?

3. Even though he sat out, would 2007 count as franchising the same player 3x and now he would get the top-5 avg salary of a QB (per new CBA rules) which will be over $10M?

Would we even want to franchise him again in 2007 after sulking at home in 2006 (and lose him with no compensation other than a 2008 comp pick)?

Good questions. I think it comes down, first of all, to whether Abraham signs the tender. If he does, I don't believ he can just sit out. I thought I saw something on this somewhere. Once he signs, he cannot avoid practice, miss games etc.

If he does, I don't think he gets credit for the season, and the charade gets played out again.

I am really not sure, just throwing stuff out there.

No, I mean if he DOESN'T sign the tender & sits out the season. (We pay him nothing).

Also screws us even more for 2006 b/c we have to make that $8.3M available until such time as we un-franchise him. So we'd have $8.3M more cap space for 2006, but won't be able to use it.

No, I mean if he DOESN'T sign the tender & sits out the season. (We pay him nothing).

Also screws us even more for 2006 b/c we have to make that $8.3M available until such time as we un-franchise him. So we'd have $8.3M more cap space for 2006, but won't be able to use it.

Well, that's pretty much the same thing.

What good is money if you aren't allowed to spend it?

Basically it would be career suicide. If you were faced with the choice of $8.3M or nothing, I think you take the money every time. Abraham wouldn't be worth a 7th rounder if he sat out an entire season. The career of a football player is short enough, no player can afford to just take a year off. He can never get that year back, and no future contract would ever make up the $8.3M lost.

As for your questions, I think the answers are no, yes, no.

Archived