UT's Offseason Plan

Untouchable

My plan for the rest of the offseason:

Sign Jon Runyan

Sign Grady Jackson

Sign Brad Kassel

Re-sign Chris Baker

Mock Draft:

Trade #4, #29, and a mid round pick next year to NO for the 2nd overall pick.

Round 1: QB Matt Leinart - USC

Round 2: OG Charles Spencer - Pittsburgh

Round 3: OT Andrew Whitworth - LSU

Round 3: DE/OLB Mark Anderson - Alabama

Round 4: CB Marcus Maxey - Miami

Round 4: TE Tony Scheffler - Western Michigan

Round 5: DT Barry Cofield - Northwestern

Round 5: C Mike Degory - Florida

Round 6: ATH Michael Robinson - Penn State

*Additional 3rd round pick is compensation for LaMont

*Additional 4th round pick is from Herm trade

*Additional 5th round pick is compensation for McKenzie

*7th rounder was traded to Dallas for CB Pete Hunter

2006 Starting Lineup:

Offense

QB Chad Pennington

RB Curtis Martin

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT Adrian Jones

LG Charles Spencer

C Pete Kendall

RG Brandon Moore

RT Jon Runyan

Defense

DE Kimo Von Oelhoffen

NT Grady Jackson

DE Shaun Ellis

OLB Matt Chatham

MLB Jonathan Vilma

MLB Brad Kassel

OLB Eric Barton

CB Justin Miller

CB David Barrett

FS Erik Coleman

SS Kerry Rhodes

Special Teams

K Mike Nugent

P Ben Graham

KR Justin Miller

PR Tim Dwight

I just re-read it - I thought you had Leinart slipping to us at #4. Just realized you have us trading up.

1. You want to trade two #1 picks, including the #4 overall, to draft Leinart (who's supposedly the most "nfl-ready" of the bunch) and then keep Chad Pennington as the starter? If we draft a QB at #4, Pennington gets released after June 1st (possibly before June 1st, which may explain why we haven't gone nutty in free-agency this year with plenty of cap room).

2. Spencer looks REALLY good but he is a bit of a reach with the 35th overall pick in this draft. If you want to target Spencer, trade down 8-10 spots and pick up another 4th rounder. No way we address OG before OT with this draft unless it's Jean-Gilles who may yet go in the 20's in rd 1. Whitworth has between slim & no chance of being there with the 71st pick, no matter who let him slip in their after-school mock drafts. Besides, if your plan was to sign Jon Runyan, why spend a high 3rd rounder on a prospect who most likely slides over to RT himself?

3. We have two 7th rounders right now, 7(2) and 7(9). Pete Hunter was a conditional 7th & he never made the team. The second 7th-rounder is from Detroit for Jon McGraw. We gave our 6th rounder for some QB from Washington. Think it was on a message board but I'm not sure.:)

4. Trading the #29 pick in a draft with about 45 first-round grades, to move up two places in the draft, is the last thing this organization needs to do. We have our choice of 15 first-round players at #29 and still 10 more at #35. You want to change that into one player. So we can draft someone who's never played alongside anyone other than the country's most elite talent. I think he'll be a good QB, but he doesn't have the grade a Manning or Palmer had coming out & you don't throw away first-rounders on a hunch. Lastly, the #29 (thankfully) isn't enough compensation to move up from #4 to #2; it would also require both our 4th-rounders, or our 3rd-rounder.

Archived