Patriots: Koppen's injury more serious than thought

Smizzy

Patriots: Koppen's injury more serious than thought

March 26, 2006 11:29 AM ET

The News

Center Dan Koppen injured his shoulder in November and missed the rest of the season, but it was revealed this week that the center also suffered a badly torn rotator cuff in addition to the dislocated shoulder. "It wasn't good, that's for sure," Koppen told the Boston Herald. "That's what happens when a 330-pound guy like Keith Traylor lands on your shoulder."

Our View

Koppen acknowledged that he may not be 100 percent at the beginning of the season, which is not a good sign for a team that already lost a key member of its 2005 offensive line

You were the guy who was bashing the Pats front office for letting guys walk and not bringing anybody in.

Now all of the sudden...things aren't that bad in NE. Pick a side.

The only person I was mad that we let walk was McGinest. I completely understand why he's gone but that doesn't change the fact that he was one of my favorites. Yes, I'm frustrated that we haven't signed anyone bit I'm more than confident in Belichick and Pioli or "Belioli" since that's the cool thing to say. I'm a great Madden GM but at the end of the day I don't know squat about running a real NFL team and I'm able to realize that unlike some people.

The only person I was mad that we let walk was McGinest. I completely understand why he's gone but that doesn't change the fact that he was one of my favorites. Yes, I'm frustrated that we haven't signed anyone bit I'm more than confident in Belichick and Pioli or "Belioli" since that's the cool thing to say. I'm a great Madden GM but at the end of the day I don't know squat about running a real NFL team and I'm able to realize that unlike some people.

In other words ...you let others influence your opinion. :cheers:

TX, whats your biggest concerns for the Pats going into next season? Are you happy they re-signed Chad Scott? I always thought he was mediocre when he played for us.

Stiller,

First, a belated congrats on the championship.

Second, there is no way to answer that. Are the Patriots contenders? Yes. Serious? Maybe. Do they have areas they need to address? Yes. LB, CB, WR, maybe RB (Tex will say yes on this) and obviously K.

However, right now, they still have a draft with a few extra picks, a few draftees from last year that did not play very much if at all (LB-Claridge and S-Sanders). Plus, they do not have a full roster or practice squad and 20 million to spend.

If this team has no serious upgrades from now to opening day, I think you can expect about the same as last year. A good, but flawed team that will make the playoffs. However, there is alot of time between now and then.

TX, whats your biggest concerns for the Pats going into next season? Are you happy they re-signed Chad Scott? I always thought he was mediocre when he played for us.

1) Getting quicker and younger at the LB position.

2) Finding a #2 WR to replace Givens.

3) Finding a SS (Eugene Wilson is not the answer) to supplement playing time with Harrison (I question how effective he will be at his age and coming off that serious injury).

4) Building additional depth on the OLine.

5) Finding a RB to split carries with Dillon.

I'm OK with resigning Chad Scott. He will be nothing more than a role player, but every team needs role players.

Good posts, PFSIKH and TX. Ain't that the way it goes in today's NFL? As long as yin'z have Brady, you'll contend. The Steelers probably have just as many holes to fill. We've got issues at WR, ILB, C, S and possibly RB, depending on if Duce Staley can stay healthy. We just locked up Verron Haynes which i view as a good move. He's our 3rd down back and best protection back on the roster IMO.

ILB probably concerns me the most. Thankfully, we were able to get out to leads during our playoff run and teams couldn't exploit James Farrior and Larry Foote much. The Bengals ran well on us in the first half then went away from it for some reason. I like Farrior but he's not gettin' any younger. Foote is a liability IMO.

Thanks for the congrats as well, PFSIKH.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_215433", true);

Archived