Briefs comments from Mangini on the QB's

Green Jets & Ham

Up in the air

Mangini offered no insight whether the Jets will take a QB with the fourth overall pick or move up to get one. He did say the Jets will meet with USC's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler.

He offered these opinions on:

Cutler: "What makes him interesting is he's at a program that hasn't had a lot of success and then he's able to create a level of success that they haven't seen. It's always intriguing: Why was he able to do it? What qualities did he have?"

Leinart playing with better talent around him than Cutler: "He may be hurt by the same things that helped Cutler. People may look at him and say: Would he have been as successful at Vanderbilt? And would Cutler have been more successful at USC?"

Young's poor Wonderlic score: "I've been around players that have had low Wonderlic scores that have been some of the smartest players I ever coached. . . . If you get to know them, you're thinking: 'How could he possibly grade out at this? He's so much smarter than his score indicates.' Then you have dumb smart guys. They've got great scores but they can't figure it out. They would do great if they had to write a paper before each game. As smart as they are and as good as they are in the classroom, they can't put it into action."

NY Daily News

Leinart playing with better talent around him than Cutler: "He may be hurt by the same things that helped Cutler. People may look at him and say: Would he have been as successful at Vanderbilt? And would Cutler have been more successful at USC?"

thats a good point....

Up in the air

Mangini offered no insight whether the Jets will take a QB with the fourth overall pick or move up to get one. He did say the Jets will meet with USC's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler.

Cutler: "What makes him interesting is he's at a program that hasn't had a lot of success and then he's able to create a level of success that they haven't seen. It's always intriguing: Why was he able to do it? What qualities did he have?"

Young's poor Wonderlic score: "I've been around players that have had low Wonderlic scores that have been some of the smartest players I ever coached. . . . If you get to know them, you're thinking: 'How could he possibly grade out at this? He's so much smarter than his score indicates.' Then you have dumb smart guys. They've got great scores but they can't figure it out. They would do great if they had to write a paper before each game. As smart as they are and as good as they are in the classroom, they can't put it into action."

NY Daily News

V.I.N.C.E vince,vince,vince great post ham

Up in the air

NY Daily News

Wow, is Mangini ever trying to get a juicy trade-down offer. Hyping all the QB's individually so it looks like ANY of them could get taken at #4. Kudos Eric.

Sounds like Mangini could be talking about Mangini. A smart guy who knows 'X's and 'O's but couldn't put it into action. Under Mangini, Pats had 26th ranked defense. He could write a paper on coaching the secondary.... Pats had 31st ranked pass defense last year under the 'smart' guy who could write papers on game planning the secondary but couldn't put it into action.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2005/regular

Sounds like Mangini could be talking about Mangini. A smart guy who knows 'X's and 'O's but couldn't put it into action. Under Mangini, Pats had 26th ranked defense. He could write a paper on coaching the secondary.... Pats had 31st ranked pass defense last year under the 'smart' guy who could write papers on game planning the secondary but couldn't put it into action.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2005/regular

Mmm-kay. That great NE secondary with all those talented DB's. Why not call out Herm's team for not putting up 300 passing yds/game with Brooks Bollinger while you're at it? And since BB is "somewhat" hands-on as a HC & doesn't pass on the blame to his subordinates, he must be equally incompetent for their secondary being so bad.

C'mon, enough of this. Tell us all how great Herm's boy Hackett was, just one more time. Gimme that Pennington line that you love.

We should've given Herm a 20-year extension, right?

Fool.

Now that's a completely dumbass post.

First off, the Pats overall defense ranked 17th overall (yards per game means crap) in points allowed.

The reason why the Pats pass defense was ranked 31st was because teams could not run on them and they had (for the majority of the year) guys right off the street playing in the secondary.

"Couldn't put it into action"?:eek:

Dumbass comment.

Mangini = Herm.

I love the way yesterday everyone was all happy that Mangini wouldn't talk to the Press about any of the draft prospects and today he does!

:)

BZ

this is the difference - Herm gives away family secrets when he talks - Mangini he's probably saying all this crap so he can trade the pick and not take any of them. It's all misdirection with Mangini - whatever he says there is an alterior motive and he's thought about it before hand. We don't know what that motive is... yet... but it will play itself out at the draft.

this is the difference - Herm gives away family secrets when he talks - Mangini he's probably saying all this crap so he can trade the pick and not take any of them. It's all misdirection with Mangini - whatever he says there is an alterior motive and he's thought about it before hand. We don't know what that motive is... yet... but it will play itself out at the draft.

Yeah.. Yeah.. Yeah...

The moral of this story is "Love The One Your With..."

Herm is gone so we hate him.

Mangini is here so we love him.

BZ

Archived