Jets are hiring former Titans OC Todd Downing as their new passing game coordinator [merged]

carlito1171

2 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

The 7 game losing streak, 6 of those losses came against playoff teams.  In fact, every team that beat them (with the exception of one loss to Houston) made the playoffs. 

"Worst division" is irrelevant. If you think MLF did a better job than Todd Downing, you can make a legitimate argument but he's not the OC any more, he's an assistant.

I like to sh*t on the Jets organization, too, when it's warranted, but I'm not seeing this hire as some big mistake being made. 

Of course LaFleur did a better job than Downing.

For one thing LaFleur didn’t embarrass the franchise by driving drunk after a game.

Secondly, LaFleur has been hired laterally to work as a coordinator again for one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. 

3 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Before they hired Hackett, were you upset that they fired Lafleur? 

I was iffy on it. I felt like LaFleur was being used as a scapegoat by a front office that saddled him with the worst QB in the league.

But I wasn't crying in my beer over it as I recognized we could definitely upgrade.

---

But they didn't upgrade. they somehow found someone even worse than LaFleur

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I was iffy on it. I felt like LaFleur was being used as a scapegoat by a front office that saddled him with the worst QB in the league.

But I wasn't crying in my beer over it as I recognized we could definitely upgrade.

---

But they didn't upgrade. they somehow found someone even worse than LaFleur

Fair enough. I'm pretty much the same. I guess the difference is I'm not going to sh*t on these new hires because they are worse than LaFleur. It's a horrible situation that can't be fixed in one season, and things will probably get worse before it gets better. Therefore, I predict JD and Saleh get fired next year, so if I'm Woody I bounce them all, not just LafLeur. But Woody won't fire Saleh because he fired Gase and still is paying him. It was easy to get rid of LaFleur, plus I think JD really thinks Zach has potential-- he's a desperate man, what other choice does he have? 

I also predict Zach will be the starter, maybe not initially but eventually. And yeah he will still suck. They'll all get fired next year, should have got rid of them all now, but what's done is done. If they do make a trade or get a free agent QB the season will be watchable, but if it's Zach again, there's definitely no point. 

11 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Fair enough. I'm pretty much the same. I guess the difference is I'm not going to sh*t on these new hires because they are worse than LaFleur. It's a horrible situation that can't be fixed in one season, and things will probably get worse before it gets better. Therefore, I predict JD and Saleh get fired next year, so if I'm Woody I bounce them all, not just LafLeur. But Woody won't fire Saleh because he fired Gase and still is paying him. It was easy to get rid of LaFleur, plus I think JD really thinks Zach has potential-- he's a desperate man, what other choice does he have? 

I also predict Zach will be the starter, maybe not initially but eventually. And yeah he will still suck. They'll all get fired next year, should have got rid of them all now, but what's done is done. If they do make a trade or get a free agent QB the season will be watchable, but if it's Zach again, there's definitely no point. 

I think they will all get fired next offseason too.

so yeah Hackett and this drunk redhead would just be here for a year. It is just hard to be happy about the situation. Inevitably pissing away another year so Woody Johnson can save a few bucks. And Joe Douglas can pad a resume

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Of course LaFleur did a better job than Downing.

For one thing LaFleur didn’t embarrass the franchise by driving drunk after a game.

Secondly, LaFleur has been hired laterally to work as a coordinator again for one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. 

But he’s not calling plays. McVey will be

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

“the Tennessee Titans announced the hiring of passing game coordinator Tim Kelly as the team's new offensive coordinator, many speculated that he was the man all along and the Titans didn't pursue many other options”

Wouldn’t it be Tim Kelly’s passing offense in ‘22?

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This is disingenuous...

Tannenhill missed like half the season with injuries, the team was ravaged with injuries.

When healthy, the Titans were a good team a good offense, and were well coached under Vrabel, and it wasn't Vrabel himself.

Downing is not the OC either, he is a QB coach/senior offensive assistance under Hackett, this is a well established offensive coaching staff, with Hackett and his years in GB and Jax being good barometers of what is coming.

Both Titan coaches are good hires.

How about a little context SOJF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

This is disingenuous...

Tannenhill missed like half the season with injuries, the team was ravaged with injuries.

When healthy, the Titans were a good team a good offense, and were well coached under Vrabel, and it wasn't Vrabel himself.

Downing is not the OC either, he is a QB coach/senior offensive assistance under Hackett, this is a well established offensive coaching staff, with Hackett and his years in GB and Jax being good barometers of what is coming.

RayRay taking the "everything is awesome" view, as usual, lol.

6 hours ago, JetsRay said:

This is disingenuous...

They were a good offense in 2020 under Arthur Smith.  

They were a mid-pack offense under Downing in 2021.  King Henry missed time and Tannehill got worse.

Last season, despite the return of King Henry the Titans did not overcome the loss of losing AJ Brown.  Even with Tannehill, the offense scored less than 20 points in 7 of his 12 starts.  Malik Willis was so bad, the Titans turned to Josh Dobbs the last two games.  They turned to a guy with 17 career passes.  

Is it all Downey's fault?  No.  However, it is not like the offense was great.  Matty P had a more productive offense in a far tougher division.

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

They were a good offense in 2020 under Arthur Smith.  

They were a mid-pack offense under Downing in 2021.  King Henry missed time and Tannehill got worse.

Last season, despite the return of King Henry the Titans did not overcome the loss of losing AJ Brown.  Even with Tannehill, the offense scored less than 20 points in 7 of his 12 starts.  Malik Willis was so bad, the Titans turned to Josh Dobbs the last two games.  They turned to a guy with 17 career passes.  

Is it all Downey's fault?  No.  However, it is not like the offense was great.  Matty P had a more productive offense in a far tougher division.

Additional context

- They were 12-5 that year
- Being in the middle of the pack offensively is not a bad thing, they were a top 15 team offensively
- Derrick Henry only played 8 games that year due to injury
- AJ Brown also missed 4 games
- Tannehill had a pretty solid year